If the Republicans will only fund the government and raise the debt ceiling if the President and Senate agree to a delay in the implementation of Obamacare for one year, I say let's offer it to them, but on one condition -- that the implementation of the Affordable Care Act not be delayed for one second.
I know that by and large the cuts have to be made across the board for all agencies.
But can the President, for example, in making the cuts to agency X, decide to close all offices serving agency X only in Alabama, Wyoming, and Oklahoma in order to make the necessary cuts, if that would meet the monetary requirements? In other words, why not make the effects of the sequester fall disproportionately upon Deep Red States? That might force Repubs in Congress to do something about replacing the sequester with something else.
There is a hugely important practical and symbolic reason why the Democrats absolutely, positively, MUST allow tax rates on net income over $250K to go back to the levels under Bill Clinton. But I haven't seen it expressly mentioned here or anywhere else.
We need to do this to crush Grover Norquist.
I don't know why Democrats, including the President, are so terrible at messaging and so willing to make it look like they are part of the problem. For example, in today's press conference, the President said:
"The only question now is are we going to hold the middle class hostage?"NOOOOOOOO !!!
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO !!!!!!
Just say the following, which everyone can understand and makes a key point that most people are missing:
"Under my plan, everyone, including millionaires, gets a tax cut on their first $250,000 in income. But that's where it stops - we just can't afford to give rich people a huge tax cut giveaway that people making under $250,000 don't get."Many people don't understand that even billionaires get a tax cut under the Obama plan - it just stops at the same $250,000 income level as everyone else.
But when you want to add a tax cut to amounts over $250,000, then you are giving an additional tax cut only to those whose income exceeds a quarter million dollars.
In a time of great deficits and need for revenue, what is the logic of giving the rich more in tax cuts than you are giving to the middle class and the poor?
* * * PLEASE SEE UPDATE BELOW THE SQUIGGLE * * *
You may think that your $ billion plus money spent on Romney and your Republican Senate candidates has all gone to waste, but you're wrong.
You are a great American.
You have done more for the progressive movement than anyone I can think of in the last 50 years.
When we could no longer fully trust the New York Times and the Washington Post, you created an alternative media source that we could trust. I learn more about what is really going on in the world from DailyKos than from all other news sources combined.
We are the New York Democratic Lawyers Council and we are the main voter protection project in NY State.
We have poll watchers observing voting across the entire state, and they call in to our boiler room if they are aware of any voting problems of any kind, such as broken voting machines, intimidation, improper challenges, voters not appearing in the voting records, etc.
If you are aware of any problem to report, particularly if you are not permitted to vote on a machine, call us at:
We will talk you through it and take any necessary corrective action, including, if necessary, contacting the Board of Elections or having a lawyer intervene.
So go vote, and let us know of any problems.
The latest odds of an Obama win hit 99.8% according to the Princeton Election Consortium:
Probability of Obama re-election:
Random Drift 98.1%, Bayesian Prediction 99.8%
More below the squashed orange bug.
I've set up an ActBlue page to Win the Senate.
It lets you donate to one or more of the Democratic candidates in what I think are the most competitive 2012 Senate races -- that list has been expanded to 13 to add first Chris Murphy and now Bob Kerrey, since two recent polls find that Bob has pulled to within a couple of points in his race in Nebraska. As an homage to Spinal Tap, I will still call my ActBlue page "But ours goes to 11 (+2)!"
More than 70 Kossacks have already contributed almost $20,000 to these worthy candidates. Let's pass the $20,000 mark today!
According to Sam Wang of the Princeton Election Consortium, whose models are based on current state by state polling after running 2.3 quadrillion possible outcomes, Obama's chances of reelection are now 97%.
Princeton's current prediction is Obama 297 EV, Romney 241 EV, with a Meta-margin of Obama +1.96%. The Meta-margin is the "amount by which polls must swing overall to create a perfect toss-up," i.e., the combined state by state differences in the polling of the candidates.
Please, Mr. President, use the above line in the foreign policy debate and it is what people and the media will be talking about the next day. And please handle Romney on this like I suggest below.
Recommended by Dave G
- 2014 Election results called into question by findings of electronic voting machine security expertsAs Jeremy Epstein notes on his Freedom to Tinker blog , in great detail: "If your States election was held in 2014 using the AVS WinVote touchscreen Direct Recording Electronic (DRE) voting machine,292 comments 311 Recs
- The national spotlight on Kansas continues. And as a resident, the actions of an ultra-“conservative” (I’ll get to those quotations in a minute) legislature and governor are painful and ...83 comments 115 Recs
- "That's what's it's all about, all right. But talkin' about it and vein' it, that's two different things." -George Hanson (Jack Nicholson) on 'freedom' in the movie Easy Rider . Released in 1969,30 comments 75 Recs
- 203 comments 106 Recs
- For the first time, the Kaiser Family ...50 comments 47 Recs
- Haven't read book attacking Clintons. But if, as reported, it charges that Obama Admin moved Colombia FTA to reward CGI donor, that's nuts! — David Axelrod (@davidaxelrod) April 20, 2015 So now ...228 comments 133 Recs
- There's a certain amount of wrangling back and forth here at Kos over the prospect of Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee for president. I am NOT going to go into the pros and cons of ...307 comments 189 Recs
- [UPDATEDx2 w/response videos] "Redneck's" viral video calls for "white racial responsibility" videosDixon D. White (a pseudonym, like his YouTube moniker, "W Honky"), a self-identified Southern redneck, was at the top of my Facebook timeline today with this video. I clicked play on FB after ...122 comments 356 Recs
- Sometimes I feel like I live in a far-off land caught in a time warp. In Orion Magazine James Krupa writes with eloquence and humor about one of the toughest jobs in 21st Century America: teaching ...320 comments 247 Recs
- As useful background - and to dispel the idiocy that Republicans are only fighting for the rights of oppressed wedding cake bakers - note that Louisiana Republicans are proposing to pass a law ...78 comments 19 Recs
Dave G's Tags
- No current results.
Dave G's Blogroll
- No current results.