A January paper published onilne in the Proceedings of the National Acadamy of Science (PNAS) is descibed by an article in Labmanager .com as Microbes Buy Low and Sell High. This offers more justification for my long held opinion that Economics is a sub-discipline of Ecology. Many other biologists have come to the same conclusion but as I found out the hard way if your boss is a PhD Economist that opinon can be hazardous to one's job perfomance reviews.
The Tea Party Republicans have been trying to find something, anything, that could be used to bring articles of Impeachment against President Obama. Now the salivation has started over the prospect of using a missle strike of Syria without prior congressional approval as exactly those grounds. The republicans may proceed with this if Syria is bombed especially since a number of Congressional critics of the proposed operation are Democarts, leaving them in the awkward position of being consistent or helping the crazies trying to oust the first Black man from the White House.
Are you one of the shrinking few who say that NSA's recording of everything you telecommunicate in some form doesn't bother you because you have nothing to hide? Even if that was by some miracle true and you are pristine and perhaps headed for sainthood you could still be in trouble and the evidence is on television everyday in the form of Reality TV.
The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Core Systems LLC in Painesville Ohio is laying off 400 people and ceasing operations at that plant after Whirlpool dropped them as a major supplier without notice. The company which made molded parts for that and other major appliance companies such as GE had no time for restructuring or for making other plans and apparently the resulting cash flow problems killed that part of the business. Just last year Whirlpool was touting its commitment to making most of its appliances in the USA.
The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony for 2012 was held in Cleveland last night (once every three years, otherwise in NYC). Two people were booed. One was Guns and Roses singer Axl Rose who had declined to be inducted but was anyway because the whole band was inducted, not any single member. Billie Joe Armstrong from Green Day was doing the induction speech and defended him, “Shut the fuck up, he was the best singer to ever hold a microphone. Singers are often misunderstood, I know... but he is crazy.’”. The other Boo-ee was when the Hall of Fame President was thanking the corporate and civic support that made the event possible and mentioned Governor Kasich. Steady and loud Boos rang out and quelled only when he emphatically said, “People you are not listening, I am thanking people for support of holding the event in Cleveland.”
I guess labeling anything Pink Slime insures its rejection, particularly when it's in food you eat. The media and social media viral storm over a product that has been part of our food for years has been a boon for all who know that many practices of industrial food production are ecologically, nutritionally, and ethically awful. But the production and use of the meat product called Pink Slime is not one of them.
March 21 The Center for Demographic Research at Auburn University at Montgomery published a study based on CDC and state health department statistics on teen sexual health in much of the Southern US. The opening paragraph of the Executive Summary lays out the abysmal conditions.
The United States has the highest rates of teenage pregnancy and sexually transmitted diseases among all developed nations. This is even more severe in the southern region of the U.S. which has: higher teenage pregnancy rates; higher teenage births; a higher percentage of babies of low birth weight; and higher rates of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV, than other regions of the country.You can see the report through the Ms. Foundation for Women site whose foundation commissioned the study.
The largest association of microbiologists is the American Society for Microbiology (ASM) which has almost 40,000 members with about a third of those in other countries. Its upcoming 10th Annual BIODEFENSE and Emerging Diseases Research Meeting in a couple weeks shows how the 2001 Amerithrax attack and the continuing Security State mentality continue to warp America’s priorities.
The Agriculture Department has listened to the requests of the Christmas Tree industry and is instituting a $00.15 fee on each tree sold or imported for those businesses selling or importing more than $500. worth of trees each year. FOX "NEWS" is spewing the false outrage of Heritage Foundation hack David Addington about the outrageous new tax imposed on Christmas by the Obama administration.
There has been a long and contentious struggle to make sure that Corporations in America do not game immigration policy by filling jobs for skilled workers with immigrants at lower wages. Besides making continued legal residence in the US dependent on a particular job (like indentured servitude) this practice skews the balance in favor of the biggest companies with the most creative lies from the Human Resources department. Yet another republican ploy to extend this in the STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields was just published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
The RKBA group probably knows I am no fan of possession of hand guns by the general public although I'm not opposed to rifles and shotguns. But Mansfield Frazier's blog in the current Cool Cleveland has a decidedly unique look at the gun culture of the inner city youth and a possible solution to some of the problems. Frazier is also a contributor to "The Daily Beast" so you may have read some of his work.
Recommended by OHdog
- Gee, who would have guessed ? A Texas high school is in the middle of a chlamydia outbreak, officials say. But according to the school district's student handbook, it does not offer ...95 comments 162 Recs
- If there's one good thing about social media, it's illuminating how much hatred there is in the Republican Party for ordinary Americans, particularly those who question or challenge Republican ...76 comments 184 Recs
- Tamir in a photo taken in the month before he was shot and killed by Cleveland police Shot and killed by Officer Timothy Loehmann of the Cleveland ...106 comments 171 Recs
- Obamacare is such a failure, it can't even kill the jobs Republicans said it would!77 comments 158 Recs
- Curbing coal plant emissions would save lots of lives. Not that this matters to EPA haters. A new study published in the ...28 comments 88 Recs
- He might just make the cut with primary ...36 comments 38 Recs
- Officer Justin Craven after being charged with misconduct in the shooting death of Ernest Satterwhite On April 7, two white police officers in South Carolina were arrested for shooting and ...133 comments 227 Recs
- "I want all the media to put their hands up and swear something this election season. I solemnly swear not to talk about Hillary's appearance because that is not journalism." The year is not even ...61 comments 91 Recs
- 18 comments 27 Recs
- Fathers absent from families. Break down of the family structure. Young men growing up without male role models in their lives. You can watch or read or hear it everywhere, both from the right, ...30 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.