I need advice and guidance on organizing fundraising for relief efforts in the Philippines following Typhoon Yolanda/Haiyan. A graduate school friend originally from the Philippines has asked me to help organize fundraising, but I've never tackled this sort of thing before. I'm turning to the dkos community for some help to get me moving. There have got to be hundreds of people active here who have experience doing this sort of work, and, boy, could I use your help!
There are news reports of a meteor airburst over the Chelyabinsk region of Russia about 1500 kilometers east of Moscow. It is unclear what damage or casualties have resulted, but the office of the governor of the region are reporting many calls about injuries and damaged buildings.
Updates to follow.
I'm interested in starting a DK4 group focused on sustainable nuclear power. I know that there a handful of diarists here who have written extensively and from experience on nuclear power. I am not one of those diarists, but I have great interest in the subject and I would like to help create a forum where ideas can be presented and discussed.
Update below the fold.
New York City, like many older East Coast cities, has a very impressive urban forest. It's made up of the many parks, street trees and yard trees that can be found throughout the City, even in Manhattan. Many of these trees are nearly a century old, some even older. They give many neighborhoods of the City a wonderful character. They can shade neighborhoods, significantly reducing the temperature at street level on hot days. They filter the air New Yorkers breathe. They keep us connected to the natural world even in the heart of one of the world's major urban areas.
And they just took a massive hit.
At around 5:30 PM a major storm front passed through the New York City region. Wind speeds were measured up to 100 MPH. Visibility was reduced to zero for the early portion of the storm. There are claims that a tornado touched down in Brooklyn, but no confirmation.
Sadly there has been one person killed on the Grand Central Parkway by a falling tree. My heart goes out to her friends and family. We're fortunate that there have been so few deaths and injuries, though, considering the wide extent of damage to the City's forest.
(Edited for a bit more empathy and clarity.)
The New York Times reports that the secret CIA program initiated after the September 11th attacks was intended to carry out assassinations of Al Qaeda leaders. The report quotes unnamed intelligence officials saying the CIA "developed plans to dispatch small teams overseas to kill senior Qaeda terrorists, according to current and former government officials."
Questions of logistics, diplomatic impact and legality kept the program from being implemented.
The officials quoted say that the program would have been covered by existing Congressional authorizations for attacking Al Qaeda. As the program was never put into operation it was never reported to Congress.
I understand now, after returning from the trip, just how devastating the hurricane was and how inadequate the response. Slidell is making great strides to recover, but there are many people there who will need a great deal of help to recover. Perhaps this diary, along with the excellent work that Barbara has done, can help us figure out how to continue to help. It is still desperately needed.
This is a long diary, and I hope you'll take the time to read it. This is a topic we can't let slip away. There's still far too much suffering happening and we can help lessen it through our efforts.
[There are some of Barbara's photos of Katrina's aftermath posted in comments - take a look]
I need some help from Kossacks to make this happen, though. If you're interested please take a look below the fold.
From the local ABC affiliate: Gun-Running Ring Busted
Among the items they were caught with were AK-47 assault rifles, nine-millimeter handguns and at least one Mac .380-caliber submachine gun.
New York City is trying to combat this problem, but Republicans are thwarting efforts to control the problem, essentially aiding those who are smuggling illegal weapons into the City.
There are so many ways that this is just wrong, I don't even know where to begin. We could start with the nearly transparent effort to use radical churches for political organizing. Then we could move on to the political payback for Ken Blackwell's dirty work in '04. Toss in some incendiary commentary about gay marriage and abortion and we're really cooking!
Of course, no good deed goes unpunished.
Because she had these packages and donations sent to her personal military postal address or to her squadron's address she is technically in violation of regulations for use of a military postal address. In fact an IG complaint has been filed against her. The email I received from her is below the fold.
Recommended by OtherDoug
- Typhoon 31W (Haiyan) Warning #26 Issued at 09/1500Z Typhoon Haiyan/Yolanda struck the Philippines Friday morning at peak strength. Right now it's headed toward Vietnam, where it will strike in two ...76 comments 277 Recs
- How in the hell can an area be almost entirely destroyed, and cell phones still work. Land lines out, electricity gone, and, yet, the relief of hearing good news, tales of survival, in real time. ...49 comments 169 Recs
- Brigido and his family, which immigration authorities want to tear apart. I had a childhood friend, Maria, contact me recently. We grew up together in the Chicago suburbs, our parents being close ...149 comments 387 Recs
- In the Broadway show, "The Book of Mormon," there is a song called. "I Believe." The song includes a number of things that you must believe in order to believe in Mormonism. For example, according ...43 comments 75 Recs
- Texas is the sleeping giant in the United States. It turns out that Battleground Texas is starting to scare the hell out of the Right Wing Tea Party Texas Republican Party. It turns out that ...184 comments 829 Recs
- I saw 12 Years a Slave last week. I will develop something more formal about the film for this week. But, I would like to share the following preliminary thoughts--especially in regards to the ...170 comments 201 Recs
- It's late 2010 and I'm flat on my butt in ICU with a back fracture and internal injuries. By now the biggest threat had been treated, a fat six-inch needle had sucked out most of the nasty stuff ...113 comments 239 Recs
- Note: title is a rhetorical question. If you aren't angry, you aren't paying attention - and I know you guys are paying attention, because you're reading this. So: do you want to do something that ...77 comments 280 Recs
- “The budget is up to the President and he didn’t do one,” is the answer I got on Friday when I called my House representative’s office to ask why the government was shut down. Now I don’t ...206 comments 909 Recs
- My project and thousands of others depend on taking samples in Antarctica in the coming weeks to months. However, thanks to the current lack of government funding, research in the Antarctic is being ...26 comments 17 Recs
- No current results.