When Mrs. Stones and I got married, almost 1/3 of a century ago, I knew our lives would be enriched with family and pets. My family had never been great pootie fans but the years have brought many wonderful pooties and woozles into our lives. We are now down to three with an average age of 13. It is always a shame to lose one, but the love they give (and take) makes it all worth it.
Health Care Reform is a topic of great interest here at DailyKos. We have many great diarists and commenters who can tell you a lot about what is on and off the table, who is doing what, and how to support Progressive change in our health care system. There is just no excuse for 45,000,000+... count 'em - over 45 million uninsured Americans.
Often, we ask "Why can't we get a public option like our representatives in Washington?" The truth of the matter is a little more tricky and not well understood by most.
The numbers are over the fold:
You remember Harry Taylor, Democratic candidate for Congress from NC-9 don't you?
If not, or if you just can't get enough of the clip, here is Harry chastising our illustrious leader:
Right now, Harry Taylor is well ahead in the NC-9 Democratic primary vote with
* Harry Taylor [D]:
votes: 27,169, percent: 58.4%
* Ross Overby [D]:
votes: 19,376, percent: 41.6%
Join me for a moment over the jump:
Every once in a while, something just hits me as SOOOO wrong. What makes this one even worse is that it involves a Democrat who I had great respect for. She is a governor who is a rising star and who is to deliver tonight's Democratic response to President Bush’s State of the Union address.
All of us make mistakes in our lives, but this one is a head-scratcher.
Make the jump.
(Original planned title: Restore my f*&^ing Mojo, Kos!)
It has happened again. Lots of positive comments with 201 recommends and not a single Troll rating over two days, yet my TU went away after posting in the diary of a popular member on Saturday night.
Okay, I'm a marginal TU but it came back Saturday morning after posting to Frankenoid's Garden Blogging. From Friday night until Sunday morning I made 18 comments and garnered 201 recommends and no troll ratings. 99 of the recommends were outside of the diary in question and normally would have kept my TU for 2 or 3 days of lurking. The 101 recommends in OPOL's latest diary seem to have reversed my status.
Go below the fold for more:
There are no international observers here watching the elections... none from any internationally recognized groups.
Well, at least according to NBC's reporter on the scene, Kerry Sanders.
Yet according to their own story on MSNBC.com:
About 100 electoral observers from 39 countries in Latin America, Europe and the United States were on hand, the electoral council said.
Well, which is it?
More below the fold:
or so says ABCNews.
An e-mailed statement from the campaign to reporters quoted Philip Martin as saying he had decided to step down because "the focus of this campaign should be on Fred Thompson's positions on the issues and his outstanding leadership ability," not on his mistakes.
"I deeply regret any embarrassment this has caused," the statement read.
More after the jump:
U.S. District Judge Benjamin Settle has issued a stay and ruled that First Lt. Ehren Watada's claim of double-jeopardy is not frivolous.
The court-martial was scheduled to start Tuesday. Lt. Watada is an Iraq war objector based at Fort Lewis. His his first court-martial resulted in a mistrial in February.
According to AP:
The judge overseeing the court martial of an Army lieutenant who refused to deploy to Iraq declared a mistrial Wednesday, saying the soldier did not fully understand a document he signed admitting to elements of the charges.
First Lt. Ehren Watada was fighting charges of conduct unbecoming an officer and missing movement for refusing to leave last June with his unit, the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division.
Follow this story with news from around the globe at: Watada.
Sorry this is so short - just heard the news.
Follow Below for some Updates:
Everybody does it once in a while. I mean, It's Fair Use right?
Well, it depends on who you ask.
X17 Inc., an L.A. photo agency, a.k.a. paparazzi, is suing celebrity blogger Perez Hilton over alleged federal copyright violation.
It seems that at least 51 of X17 Inc.'s photos have showed up on Perez's "blog" and X17 Inc. says that Perez is free-riding.
What's that got to do with you... or the blogosphere?
Over the hump...
Well the braintrust at the ONDCP and in Congress are at it again. Besides overseeing the neverending "War on Drugs", now they are planning (again) to prepare a biological weapon against coca and other drug crops.
Pushed by Souder, Biden and Hatch, the ONDCP Reauthorization Bill may come to a vote this week. Included in the language is the following:
Not later than 90 days after the date of enactment of this act, the Director of the Office of National Drug Control Policy shall submit to the Congress a report that includes a plan to conduct, on an expedited basis, a scientific study of the use of mycoherbicide as a means of illicit drug crop elimination by an appropriate Government scientific research entity, include a complete and thorough scientific peer review. The study shall include an evaluation of the likely human health and environmental impacts of mycoherbicides derived from fungus naturally existing in the soil.
Just what the world needs... a little help spreading those botanical delicacies... Fusarium oxysporum and Pleospora papaveracea.
What the hell are they?? after the fold...
The NEWSWEEK poll, conducted Oct. 26-27, has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points. It has the Republicans in trouble, but maybe not as much as a couple of polls ago.
Quotes after the flip>
Recommended by SomeStones
- by Sue Homer Woodstock by Joni Mitchell I came upon a child of God He was walking along the road And I asked him where are you going And this he told me I'm going on down to Yasgur's ...138 comments 248 Recs
- My title has multiple meanings. Perhaps that will become clear. How did you spend your weekend? At 1:30 AM Thursday I got in my car and drove for about 6 hours through the night to the mountains ...28 comments 45 Recs
- Support independent cartooning: join Sparky's List —and be sure to visit TT'...96 comments 122 Recs
- Another disinformation campaign to falsify the history of the mortgage crisis, and to double down on past failures.67 comments 77 Recs
- No more hostage taking. No more playing a Republican game that causes so many people pain. The so called "Fiscal Cliff" is drama speak, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. Those two words ...419 comments 393 Recs
- Today, the New York Times has its first independently-reported article on Pfc. Bradley Manning's almost cinematic torture hearing. On the ninth day of Manning's torture hearing--one of the most ...32 comments 175 Recs
- By Bill Moyers and Michael Winship Until now, this hasn't been the best year for media mogul Rupert Murdoch. For one, none of the Republicans who'd been on the payroll of his Fox News Channel -- ...41 comments 308 Recs
- A new study from San Francisco-based Center on Juvenile and Criminal Justice entitled California ...108 comments 168 Recs
- A few minutes ago I innocently Googled "how many likes has mitt romney lost on facebook so far" to see how quickly his diehard supporters jumped ship ( answer : nearly one hundred fifty thousand ...38 comments 235 Recs
- 70 comments 205 Recs
- No current results.