Although it's no surprise that racism permeates all areas in American culture, it has returned again to the world of sports, but this time people are taking notice...
The crowning of the 2014 Miss America brings out more racism in America.
“Knowledge makes a man unfit to be a slave.”
― Frederick Douglass 
Again and again Americans are proving that the term “melting pot” is indeed a myth. There is an ongoing struggle to keep America white. From white fear of becoming a minority in their own country to a denial that racism still exists in this country to outrage that a United States president would dare speak out on behalf of the black populace, there is an unspoken sentiment that a large percentage of white Americans are becoming more and more fearful of losing the privilege that they are reluctant to admit they have.
Because this is long overdue...
“Only in America can a dead black boy go on trial for his own murder.” – Syreeta McFadden 
...from what I know about life, it will catch itself up, somehow, some way. Man may have let Zimmerman off the hook, but the soul lives forever, and he will have to answer for this.
And then this happened:
Join us on the Black Kos front porch to review news and views written from a black pov—everyone is welcome.
by Denise Oliver Velez
In my most recent diary, Cultural Language, Linguistics, & the Ebonics Debate, I presented the readers with an opinionated response paper that I had written while in college. When presenting it, I failed to explain my purpose for posting it. Several commenters were offended by the content and felt that I may have been ignorant, naive, and/or disingenuous. I felt it was necessary to reply to their comments, which I did. However, I know that not all readers read the comment section, so I have reposted that general reply below, in order to avoid any more confusion. Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Look what I found! An old college response paper... I could not have been more clever. This is not my usual sobering subject matter... Well, I guess it is. But I found an old college response paper, after being assigned the book The Ebonics Debate to review and respond to. I thought it was stupid and I'm sure that my response reflected my attitude. However, as it turns out, in my opinion, it's amongst the most entertaining things that I've ever written. I won't be upset if you disagree.
Special note to those who feel that, "actual linguists call it African American Vernacular English," maybe you should read the book:
Perry, T., & Delpit, L., (1998). The real ebonics debate: power, language, and the education of African-American children. Beacon Press, 1998. ISBN 0807031453, 9780807031452
The fourth instillation of Race and Prejudice in America Today – A Series.
Disclaimer: It should be noted that for the purpose of this article, as with the other articles in this series, I will, for the most part, be using the vast division between America’s black and white populace for context. It is not to say that the Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern, Native American, and/or Pacific Islander populace has not suffered the same racism and prejudices as blacks. But it is my opinion that America’s majority generally see race in terms of black and white. Still, at any time, Hispanic, Asian, Middle Eastern Native American, and/or Pacific Islander, can be substituted for black.
Recommended by Will Smith
- Hoodie Award for Racist of the Year-2013 As we leave 2013, and move ahead into a new year, it's important not to forget where we've been. As my grandmother was fond of saying "if you don't know ...348 comments 171 Recs
- Denise Oliver Velez, (photo Will Orellana) This is what I look like. The result of an ancestry of a bicentennial of breeding farms and ...343 comments 429 Recs
- The virulent meme spread across our nation with increasing frequency by Republicans and their racist adherents is that "anti-racism" is a code for "anti-white." This is part of a larger pattern of ...269 comments 214 Recs
- On Saturday, a white police officer shot and killed an unarmed black man. Jonathan Ferrell was in a horrific car ...108 comments 135 Recs
- Cracking the Codes: The System of Racial Inequity, a film by Shakti Butler The struggle against racism and racial inequities in our society is being fought on multiple ...122 comments 119 Recs
- Recently, some kossacks have correctly noted there are too few diaries regarding the criminal justice system. As many Kossacks know, Daily Kos used to have an excellent weekly diary series on the ...166 comments 123 Recs
- Politics isn't a child's game. It's a bloodsport. People's lives are at stake. To save people's lives, we have to win. The game is played at many levels, from grass-roots activism to local school ...214 comments 158 Recs
- The divide(s) between the response of black folks to the George Zimmerman "not guilty" verdict and that of his overwhelmingly white and conservative defenders (and those others who idolize him as a ...64 comments 31 Recs
- I have begun my twice a year fundraiser at my home site We Are Respectable Negroes. Given that I also post here on the Daily Kos and learn so much from my interactions with folks here, I reasoned ...20 comments 31 Recs
- After yet another GOP whitesplaining of black culture and it's problems from the FoxNewsiverse Chris Hayes stepped in and thoroughly destroyed the utter garbage spewing forth from Bullshit ...105 comments 326 Recs
Will Smith's Tags
- No current results.