Blue America has had a long relationship with Alan Grayson, going back to his very first campaign when all the insiders said he had no chance to win the primary and then, after he won it, no chance to win the general election. He was too plainspoken and he wore his heart on his sleeve. Right up out alley. He's become the conscience of the progressive movement inside Congress and he's not afraid to speak truth to power, whether that's to John Boehner, Darrell Issa, Steve Israel or Barack Obama.
Toledo Mayoral Candidate and current Lucas County Auditor Anita Lopez works hard to come across as well spoken and educated about her community. She works so hard that she has to have her campaign staffers pre-screen media requests and fill out a form before she will even talk to anyone in the press.
What Lopez wants in advance are a list of the reporter's questions; if anyone already has been interviewed on the subject; who else will be interviewed; what the other sources said to the reporter; if she can use visuals, and if the reporter is knowledgeable.
Get in the mood with this Eric Clapton/B.B. King duet, "Help the Poor" from Riding With the King 'cause this is going to take some 'spainin' and I don't have Bill Clinton around to do it. Or just cut through everything and go right to the crux of the matter at ActBlue. Let me start by a little biographical background that will help you understand what this is all about (after the jump)
Normally on Tuesdays we introduce a new Blue America candidate. But this week we're concentrating on the responses our candidates have to Austerity. In short, the response is... Prosperity. Like I said yesterday, Jacob Hacker and Nate Loewentheil have put into words-- and numbers-- the premise upon which progressives have been battling the Ryan Budget, the Wall Street Agenda and any moves towards a Grand Bargain that takes from the working and middle class to further enrich the already too wealthy. If you want to get into Hacker's and Loewentheil's details, which I encourage you to do, here are 60 glorious pages. Alan Grayson summed it up-- at least in part-- pretty well in the 30 second campaign ad above. He's running against a typical Republican clone who wants to turn Social Security over to Wall Street. That's a key to the Austerity Agenda and Grayson wants to make sure voters in FL-09 know all about it. After the jump Grayson explains one of the reasons Prosperity Economics is so important right now:
With Bachmann's latest attention seeking stunt and lurch towards pure McCarthyism, people are asking who Jim Graves is, the Democratic nominee for MN-06, the district just north and west of the Twin Cities saddled with Congress' craziest Member. I reached out to Jim and asked him to introduce himself to and Daily Kos readers. This is the guest post he sent me this morning. Please watch the video from the campaign and read Jim's own words afer the jump and then consider contributing to his campaign here.
Do you think racism is only something you find in rural parts of Georgia and Texas? Think again. WYSL (1040 AM) is in the Rochester, NY area and owned by Bob Savage and Judith Day. They run a Hate Talk format featuring reactionary GOP propagandists, sociopaths like Laura Ingraham, Rust Humphries, Dennis Miller, Jerry Doyle and Bill O'Reilly. Their local hate talk host is Bill Nojay, a Republican running for New York State Assembly. Radio sure has changed from the days when I got my broadcaster's license. Back then candidates had to resign when they declared for office-- and they were fired when they incited racial hatred the way Nojay does. Listen to his screed against progressive Democrat Nate Shinagawa, a third-generation Japanese American.
I bet you remember this:
In the race for Congress in New Mexico’s open blue First CD, only one candidate stands out as a true progressive fighter for the 99%: Eric Griego. That's why he was one of the first candidates anywhere endorsed by Blue America this cycle.
Recommended by downwithtyranny
- Much has been made of Elizabeth Warren being the go-to Democrat in this cycle, being eagerly welcomed in places like West Virginia and Kentucky where few other Democrats were. Elizabeth's populist ...12 comments 23 Recs
- Jesus 'Chuy' Garcia, Rahm slayer.74 comments 70 Recs
- Howie Klein at Down with Tyranny writes Yes, But WHY Didn't Democrats Turn Out On Election Day? WHY?187 comments 74 Recs
- There's been a lot of kvetching among Democrats about the Democratic leadership in the wake of the election result. How about we do something about it? I started a petition at MoveOn: Donna ...10 comments 13 Recs
- The fallout from the elections has been severe with a complete GOP takeover of the Senate, and state legislatures across the country. Our party lost, and there were many reasons, but the most ...290 comments 226 Recs
- I saw a tweet today that startled me: Ohio Citizen @OhioCitizen I don't know if Judd is running but McConnell is going to have a hard time. His court martial for sodomy in 67 will be huge. ...211 comments 213 Recs
- Wealthy candidate, Sandra Fluke has come to the Daily Kos community three times and asked for contributions to fund her campaign against a fellow Democrat . Some dig deep and add to their credit ...71 comments 8 Recs
- I have not yet seen this on DailyKos: WaPo 2 days ago: Weiland's latest broadside is a petition he circulated Friday to oust Reid as leader and replace him with Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), Sen.15 comments 2 Recs
- The debates that go on in Washington – how much to cut Social Security, when to start the next round of corporate tax breaks, what Congress can do to make life easier on Wall Street – don’t ...22 comments 52 Recs
- Transcript and commentary here: Washington Republicans have blocked [President Obama] at every turn. Washington Republicans-- including my opponent, Republican Susan Collins-- have blocked ...1 comments 19 Recs
- No current results.