I took a deep breath and plunged into the somewhat scary world of internet commerce. I arranged a low-balance credit card (a VISA) and used it to open a Paypal account, with the idea that I could donate to campaigns and buy CD's from struggling musicians. The first indication that this wasn't going to be as easy as advertised came when I was signing up for PayPal. I called the help line, just to make sure I was doing it right. "You don't have to link a bank account," The Helpful Person said, although the website was pushing hard for me to link an account.
From a press release by the American Motorcyclist Association
AMA supporter Tom Petri to retire from Congress
Wisconsin representative has served since 1979
PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- U.S. Rep. Tom Petri (R-Wis.) recently announced that he will not seek reelection.
The announcement came during a town meeting at the Neenah, Wis., City Council Chambers. Petri has served in Congress since 1979.
The American Motorcyclist Association honored Petri in 2013 as a Supporter of the AMA in the 112th Congress.
His political career also includes serving in the Wisconsin State Senate from 1973 through 1979 and running as a Republican nominee for U.S. Senate in 1974.
The Zen mealtime verse: The Five Thoughts
We rnust think deeply of the ways and meansA Theravada mealtime verse:
by which this food has come.
We must consider our merit when accepting it
We rnust protect ourselves from error
by excluding greed from our minds
We will eat lest we become lean and die.
We accept this food .
so that we may become enlightened.
Wisely reflecting, I use this food not for fun, not for pleasure, not for fattening, not for beautification, but only for the maintenance and nourishment of this body, for keeping it healthy, for helping with the Spiritual Life;I recently came to terms with the reality that I need to lose ten pounds
Thinking thus, I will allay hunger without overeating, so that I may continue to live blamelessly and at ease.
In all the discussion about Mr. Boehner, the debt limit, and the Congressional Republican, I have not seen any diarist discuss the effect of a shutdown on the 1%, and specifically the large proportion of the 1% who make their money off government- actually a very large percentage.
Now FORBES has published an interesting article about exactly this topic.
In their never-say-die efforts to defeat Obamacare, Tea Party Republicans brought the federal government a giant step closer to shutdown last night. What they seem not to have considered is how America’s foreign creditors will react
A friend has rediscovered some of his military buddies, and they chat on line. The conversation has veered to one person who was injured in a firefight. One of the group commented, "I'm not superstitious" "but" he was glad when the injured person left the unit, because he had been injured before "and that kind of guy just brings down bad luck, don't want to be around him."
Apparently that type of thought train is common among combat veterans- I am surviving because I am lucky/skilled/tough and I don't want to be around people who are unlucky/unskilled/weaker because they may drag me down with them.
I have much compassion for the combat vet- getting scared shitless week after week tweaks your mind. But that is not how karma works
Coming home from work, I noticed the big water utility truck at the side of the road, yellow tape, a big WATER EMERGENCY sign. Damn.
Got home, checked the tap - no water.
It is not a secret that repeated budget cuts, enacted so that the wealthy can afford a second jet to take them to their third island hideaway have resulted in a lack of maintenance of our infrastructure. A little review of history of ancient civilizations shows that most have collapsed, not because of invasion, but because of infrastructure problems, often related to irrigation. The canals silt up, no water, no food.
It is an axiom that teahadists have no sense of humor. To prove this, one teahadist started a cartoon about a conservative duck. The cartoon is most unfunny, but provides a short list of recent Republican talking points. The latest meme to the cartoon is that Head Start Doesn't Work, is a waste of taxpayer money (unlike unused battleships and subsidies to oil companies) and should be stopped. Didn't realize the Tea Party hated little kids, did you?
I checked around and found the study all the yelling is based on...
Bangladesh is a Southeast Asian country located between Bengal (India) and Burma. The country declared independence from Pakistan in 1971. It has been one of the poorest countries of the world. The country straddles the Ganges-Brahmaputra Delta and is subjected to annual floods and cyclones.
Someone had the bright idea to locate garment factories there.
What you can get away with in deep red districts
Court transcripts from Tennessee Congressman Rep. Scott DesJarlais his 2001 divorce trial were obtained by the Chattanooga Times Free Press. The Tennessee Republican tea partyer, a former physician, had admitted to sexual relationships with patients and supported his wife's abortions.
The story here LINK
In memory of a feral cat
the night before this feral cat disappeared, to make his peace with the world and leave it in cat fashion, I dreamed that there was a burglar in my living room, sitting on a stool. Back lit by the full moon in the window, I could not see his face. He sat there and did not move as I went to the phone. Then I knew that this thief was Time, and I stopped: the police could do nothing.
But Time is not only a thief. There are two aspects to Time:
Just saw this:Dan Rather Report
It seems the Catholic Church (among other groups) has been involved in coercing young (white, of course) women to give up their children for adoption. The evidence seems to show that this practice ceased around 1987, but I am not convinced of that.
"Anything can teach- it need not intend to do so" - Buddhist teacher
One of the best features of 12 step programs are their slogans. Slogans are short, pithy sayings, intended to stop you from following your addictive thinking and get you back to your program.
There are many such short sayings in Zen, and I find them very helpful
Recommended by la motocycliste
- I spend a lot of time on twitter's C-SPAN Washington Journal feed. There I joust with Conservatives and Libertarians over the understanding of what reality is and what a fact in proper context is. ...24 comments 49 Recs
- In the UK the Disasters Emergency Committee is a coordinating body of 13 charities which work together at critical times to raise funds and ensure aid is delivered effectively. Since their launch in ...7 comments 46 Recs
- News of the earthquake in Nepal sends a shot of pain through the heart. Whether we keep track of events as they unfold or simply see the headlines in passing, a crisis like this is felt around the ...22 comments 83 Recs
- The House of Representatives recently voted to eliminate the estate tax . Because of the recent vote, the topic may come up in conversations with people you know. This is an easy case to “win” ...104 comments 134 Recs
- I'm a good liberal and I don't mind paying my taxes. Taxes are a way of all of us putting our money together to serve the public good in ways that the private sector can't or won't do. I just ...355 comments 543 Recs
- This is something of a follow up to my Winning Elections diary last December, but not entirely. I had long contemplated doing something on this diary's topic as a stand alone essay relating to ...12 comments 25 Recs
- irishwitch is needing our help. She's been in exile in GA for the past 10 months due to the bottom falling out of her and hubby Ben's life. Now they have the opportunity to move back to the place ...150 comments 169 Recs
- Gov. Scott Walker (R-FitzWalkerStan) not so popular back home these days With Scott Walkers latest extremist moves, obvious lies, and flip flopping on long standing positions to align himself with ...120 comments 220 Recs
- GOP presidential candidate Scott Walker is destroying Wisconsin to prove just how conservative he isNow that you yokels re-elected me, I can tell you I don't care about you. There ...423 comments 248 Recs
- Pure of heart Eight-year-old Gabi Mann has been feeding crows in her family's Seattle backyard garden for about four years now. It started as an accident: Gabi's ...308 comments 612 Recs
la motocycliste's Tags
- No current results.
la motocycliste's Blogroll
- No current results.