View Diary: Cranky Users: A Door Is a Jar (97 comments)

•  Actually, you can boil it down: (8+ / 0-)

It is only the system-generated comment.

On one of my not-yet-published diaries, I ran a test with a Tip Jar (comment #1) with the Subject "Tip Jar" and no other text. Posted it and it had a "Reply to this" hanging off it.

I was able to create a reply and got an ugly message then it logged me off the system after the third try. However, Glen The Plumber (who I may hire for system testing) was able to reply to that Tip Jar.

Only one condition: system-generated comment. And I think there is actually only one system-generated comment.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
    (and blogging in a pie-free zone)

by JanF on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 01:32:22 PM PDT

•  Yes, he is looking very much like (8+ / 0-)

the person anyone would want hammering on a new release. Where was he during the beta period of DK4???

Don't tell me what you believe. Tell me what you do and I'll tell you what you believe. - MB

by belinda ridgewood on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 01:34:48 PM PDT

•  I was lurking, had been for years. Just about the (5+ / 0-)

time I decided to join they announce the soon to be released DK4, so I waited a few months for the launch of DK4 before joining. I read some of the DK4 beta meta, hoping it might help me when I joined, 'SWOOSH' was the sound of them going right over my head. Trust me, you don't want me hammering on anything with my pipe wrenches, that was a total "trip over my toilet auger" moment when I found JanF's tip jar.

p.s. I do believe Markos is not blind to what is going on here daily and he will continue to tweak things until they work. This site puts the food on the table of his and a few other families.

WWMBD? Think before hitting post, try it sometime. ~~~ We are not broke, we are being robbed.

by Glen The Plumber on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 08:53:18 PM PDT

•  {{{GtP}}} (4+ / 0-)
          JanF, Glen The Plumber, KelleyRN2, Sylv

When software-writing ladies endorse you as the person they would like to have attempt to wreck their product, while it is not an insult, it is not exactly a compliment either. It's like saying, if we really want to see if this object is unbreakable, we should give it to the two-year-old and the big labrador to play with. You do not want that testing done by someone who has extensive knowledge of how it's supposed to work, because that person will tend to use it in the way it's intended to be used. When you're testing for whether it will break, you don't want that.

I'm sorry you missed the beta testing. It was delightful. There was an entirely separate beta site, everything there was slated to be thrown away when the test period was over, and the idea was just to freely try stuff and report what didn't work. There was much hilarity, and it was very friendly, or I found it so, anyway.

by belinda ridgewood on Fri Sep 02, 2011 at 10:08:27 PM PDT

•  Well put. (4+ / 0-)

The testing I do uncovers the worst bugs but since I use the software how it is supposed to be used, my testing is of limited value.

Even long time users of my software have unconsciously created workarounds for things that don't flow well. I can always tell when one of my clients hires someone new because there is always a glitch or two that they uncover. And this is from software whose core has been in place for about 10 years!

Much of life is knowing what to Google
            (and blogging in a pie-free zone)

by JanF on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 02:40:16 AM PDT

•  Ha...I don't slobber but my computer skills are (4+ / 0-)
            KelleyRN2, JanF, Sylv, belinda ridgewood

definitely that of a 'two year old,' but my comments are totally junior high.  :70

by Glen The Plumber on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 06:54:46 AM PDT

•  Glen The Plumber (3+ / 0-)
          Glen The Plumber, KelleyRN2, Sylv

I second belinda ridgewood's comment.

Beta testers are much beloved by software developers. They make us laugh and make us cry. But every bug found by a beta tester is one that does not roll out into production and that is very good. When people using my software are working under deadlines, the last thing I want is a frantic call about a database problem.

By the way, I have no problem with you pre-tipping my J Town Tip Jar. Feel free to leave a message or two. It is all part of an ongoing conversation.

Much of life is knowing what to Google
          (and blogging in a pie-free zone)

by JanF on Sat Sep 03, 2011 at 02:52:09 AM PDT