View Diary: How do I say this without seeming anti-Semitic? (267 comments)

•  Four, a self-imposed restraint: (2+ / 0-)
    Clem Yeobright, milton333

He doesn't want to develop a "printed and bound" set of examples that could be used to guide such decisions -- say, by inducing people to err on the side of free speech in close situations.  Unlike the others, that is a "reform" that would cost him nothing in terms of time or money.  It would just mean generating an informed jury rather than a capricious one.

In my avatar, the blue bars show how many want Reps who COMPROMISE; the aqua bars show who wants Reps who STAND FAST no matter what. (Left=Overall; Center=Democrats; Right=Republicans.) And there's the problem!

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 07:56:33 AM PDT

•  It is sort of amusing, in a way. (2+ / 0-)
      Seneca Doane, milton333

He won't write down what the rules of the site are, and won't hire moderators to moderate it.

Instead opting for the himself-admitted capricious model of moderation, either his own or that of the local mob.

What sort of way is that to run a community, one that has made him a fairly well off fellow?

It's a bit baffling to me.

"Blind cheerleading of the president will create jobs and get him to stop droning on and on about deficits no one cares about to the point that his numbers have tanked among independents?" - Markos Moulitsas 8/20/11

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 10:18:48 AM PDT

•  Consider Athenian ostracism (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

Every year in the sixth month the populace was asked if it wanted to have an ostracism that year. If the vote was positive, then in the eighth month everyone was permitted to write a name on a shard, the shards were counted, and the citizen receiving the most shards was exiled for 10 years, with no further penalty (loss of property, for example).

There were no accusations and no defense. There was no expectation of having to justify one's vote. And there was no association with the concept of 'justice'.

It's just a blog, ferxrissakes.

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 10:49:17 AM PDT

•  Great (2+ / 0-)
          Clem Yeobright, Oh Mary Oh

Now you're giving Markos ideas.  With a Greek provenance, yet!

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:21:09 AM PDT

•  I'd hoped we'd evolved past that. (1+ / 0-)
            Seneca Doane

Athenian "democracy" was a huge step forward.

For 500BC.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:30:10 AM PDT

•  Ouch. Is that how you see it? (1+ / 0-)
              Seneca Doane

I think I need an expansion from you on 'evolution'.

What aspect of Athenian democracy is obsolete?

Am I right, or am I right? - The Singing Detective

by Clem Yeobright on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:36:45 AM PDT

•  Obsolete? (2+ / 0-)
                Clem Yeobright, Seneca Doane

That's an interesting choice of words.  :)

I don't know obsolete, but I'll pass on Athenian democracy only being available to the "in group".

Sadly I suppose that isn't technically obsolete, looking around here.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:48:45 AM PDT

•  His "guest in someone's house" rule last week (3+ / 0-)
        Clem Yeobright, CaliSista, milton333

was a good start.  He did have rules expressed in there -- even though, left to our own devices, they may end up being scattered.  But he has to realize that community moderation will work best if people believe that the system is just, and that that trust in non-capriciousness needs to be earned rather than being an entitlement.

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 10:49:39 AM PDT

•  There's a problem there, Seneca. (1+ / 0-)
          milton333

Kos himself has declared local justice to be capricious.  Even bragging referred to it as such.

And subjective rules like "someone's house" won't cut it for rules of a community this diverse, we all know it.

I've STILL not been told why I got NR'd.  I don't want to argue the thing, I'd just like to know WHY.

For instance.  :)

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:03:10 AM PDT

•  Yep -- that's why that comment of his sent me (1+ / 0-)
            Clem Yeobright

into a frenzy.  It was 180 degrees in the wrong direction.

Have you written Markos to ask why your ratings were pulled?

by Seneca Doane on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:20:15 AM PDT

•  No, I've not. (2+ / 0-)
              Seneca Doane, milton333

I've considered it, of course, but just like when MB was moderating I'd rarely message him about stuff like retributive HR's and whatnot.

It all seems rather petty, when it comes to actually kicking up a stink about it.

I imagine I got NR'd for uprating somewhere that was inappropriate?  But I can't know for sure, and I can't guess what uprates were inappropriate, 'cause they don't tell us.

It's like a guessing game.  Capricious is exactly the right word, my hat is off to the KosMan for accurately using it.

Maybe I should message him to just ask why.  I don't intend to contest the thing, not really.  He's defined the community moderation as capricious and unfair, deliberately, so it is what it is.

I DO find it a very odd way to treat a community that makes you pretty good $.  I've been a moderator and manager of several online groups over the years (decades? argh) and I understand Kos HATING that aspect of his business.

But jeez, it's his BUSINESS.

by Rick Aucoin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 at 11:28:01 AM PDT