View Diary: Anti-Capitalist Meet-up: The Development of a Cooperative Economy in Practice (80 comments)

•  Wow... (7+ / 0-)
    Currently 100 million people are members of 47,000 cooperatives in the United States.

I had no idea there were that many.

Oh...and thank you for your kind mention.

De air is de air. What can be done?

by TPau on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 03:14:59 PM PDT

•  You deserved it. Would apprciate some of your (4+ / 0-)
      NY brit expat, TPau, elwior, mint julep

substantive comments since we are working in the same area.  Thanks in advance.

•  100 m (0+ / 0-)

that is probably a mistake. 100m is 1/3 of the u.s. population. must be for the entire world.

•  good point, can we get a check on this number (2+ / 0-)
        Geminijen, elwior

geminijen? unless it may also include members of various consumer cooperatives as well; since people often join many, that may make sense, but I think you have a point ...

"Hegel noticed somewhere that all great world history facts and people so to speak twice occur. He forgot to add: the one time as tragedy, the other time as farce" Karl Marx, The Eighteenth Brumaire of Louis Bonaparte .

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 03:51:44 PM PDT

•  Yes, it is true! But, as I said below, this (2+ / 0-)
          NY brit expat, elwior

includes all kinds of coops -- conservative as well as progressive (see my comment)

•  NYB... (4+ / 0-)
          NY brit expat, elwior, mint julep, Justina

I've been trying to get to get thru to you or Justina. I have some articles I would offer for the sight, but they are a little on the fringe of the subject. I sent them to you in an email twice and mentioned them in a comment on last week's diary. If you're not interested, that's fine...just say so and I will stop bugging you. The dead silence makes me think we just keep missing the connection somehow, so I keep trying.

De air is de air. What can be done?

by TPau on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 04:05:05 PM PDT

•  Hey love, have been buried both due to a (2+ / 0-)
            mint julep, BlueDragon

friend's visit and not being well. We definitely are interested, but I have not had a chance to take a breath. Last week I was in Wales and was not well, my friend leaves on Wednesday. We need to sit down and figure out dates. I am sorry and apologise profusely, the fault is mine, I have been buried and that is why I haven't gotten back to you, but life has messed me up a bit. Can we set up dates for the two pieces tonight or in a private email? I assure you that nothing untoward or rude was intended.

by NY brit expat on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 04:14:47 PM PDT

•  TPau, Your Proposed Articles Are Incendiary.... (3+ / 0-)
            NY brit expat, TPau, Geminijen

Just read one and part of the second, but both are likely to lead to great discussions.  Please, please post them so we can publish.  (Not sure just when, as have to confer with NY brit epat about dates and then check back with you to confirm your availability.)

Thank you so much for two delicious reads!

Convict Bush, Cheney and their torture cabal. Support single-payer health care,unions, and WikiLeaks.

by Justina on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 05:38:21 PM PDT

•  Actually, that is true though they are using the (3+ / 0-)
        NY brit expat, elwior, mint julep

broadest definition of coops -- this includes all consumer coops, insurance coops, housing coops, investing coops, probably ESOP type worker-owned as well, though I'm not sure if they are included.  I've seen this figure in several places -- usually as 1/3 of the U.S. population (the way you expressed it). Bet if you really think about your life, you'll find you are in a coop somewhere.

•  Not that unusual. (5+ / 0-)

Credit unions are cooperative enterprises, which boast 87 million members in the United States.

To this, add rural electrification cooperatives.  Indiana's network of them serves half a million homes, farms and businesses.  It's interesting to drive through reddest Indiana and go through town after town that greets travellers with a sign provided by the locality's electric cooperative.

"Politics should be the part-time profession of every citizen who would protect the rights and privileges of free people and who would preserve what is good and fruitful in our national heritage." -- Lucille Ball

by Yamaneko2 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 at 05:21:19 PM PDT