View Diary: San Jose: Millions Withdrawn from Bank of America and Wells Fargo! (288 comments)

•  Senor Unoball, I'm agnostic (27+ / 0-)

and, I confess, that for personal reasons, I am not a big fan of the Church.  But I admire and applaud Most Holy Trinity Church for standing with those with whom the Jesus of the Gospels seems to have stood.

And it's great that they've inspired the St. Andrew's Episcopal Church to do the same.

One individual can do a little, many individuals can do a lot.  One church or synagogue or mosque can do a lot, together they can do a lot.

Bank of America, start wringing your corporate hands.

•  Thanks for this (10+ / 0-)

No matter our feelings on religion, or the Catholic church, I think this action needs to be recognized as members of faith leading in social justice issues.

"I mean, it -- I mean -- and I tell somebody, I said, just because you have a group of scientists that have stood up and said here is the fact, Galileo got outvoted for a spell." -- Rick Perry, 9/7/11

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 09:17:48 AM PDT

•  I'm a member of St. Andrew's Church in Saratoga (6+ / 0-)

and I hope that we as a parish take action that follow what our associate priest did.  I know I intend to move my account from Wells Fargo to a credit union.  My wife and I agree that the credit union is not as convenient as Wells Fargo is, but we must take action that tells these big banks that they cannot take us for granted and just increase fees to make their profit larger.  The one thing I haven't figured out is how to deal with my Wells Fargo credit card balance.  It is high and I've slowly been weening myself off the account and paying it off, but I'd like to completely remove myself from Wells Fargo.  Any ideas as to how to move a fairly large credit card balance?

"War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength", George Orwell, "1984" -7.63 -5.95

by dangoch on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 09:46:00 AM PDT

•  When you move to a credit union (9+ / 0-)

Be sure to ask them if they offer their own credit cards.

You should be able to simply transfer from one to the other. The CU might offer you a "check" that you can use to pay off the old card, with that check acting as a purchase onto the new card.

(And typically, when you do this with a new card, you might get a much lower interest rate on the balance transfer.)

Ask the folks at the CU; I'm sure they'd be happy to help with such a transaction.

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 09:55:17 AM PDT

•  I was surprised... (0+ / 0-)

I'm in San Jose and moved my money to Technology CU a couple of years ago.

I have yet to find a 7-11 that lacks an ATM (no fees) and there are other credit unions with reciprocal agreements all over the valley, and you can deposit at their ATM's.  Additionally, their website works quite well for online banking and is rarely down.

I thought it might be less convenient also, but there was even an ATM across the parking lot from my last job.  Turns out it's more convenient!

------- GOP: Good Ol' Projection.

by Fast Bike on Fri Oct 14, 2011 at 10:25:23 PM PDT

•  question: I've located a close-by credit union (1+ / 0-)
        Senor Unoball

and checked its assets. Went to Open Secrets -- they didn't do much lobbying (none in 2010, $20,000 in 2009) but I can't tell from the info on Open Secrets where they stood on the issue -- the bill was S896 -- Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009. I'm sure I can get info on the bill, but that doesn't help me since I don't know which way this credit union was pushing.
        Any ideas about this (before I change my money over to them?).

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 10:46:20 AM PDT

•  Here's some info (0+ / 0-)

The act was approved by the House and Senate, and signed into law by President Obama on May 20, 2009.

Wikipedia article is here.

Details on Senate action is here.

Senate passed it 91 Ayes, 5 Nays, 3 Present/Not Voting.

Details on House action is here.

House approved it 234 Ayes, 191 Nays, 7 Present/Not Voting.

Perhaps this'll help figure out how your credit union lobbied on the matter.

by Senor Unoball on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 11:01:39 AM PDT

•  I don't know how they lobbied -- but the bill (2+ / 0-)
            Senor Unoball, Odysseus

was obviously a shoe-in.
            I just read a wikipedia article on the CU and am less thrilled about moving my money there.  In 2006 they tried to convert it to a bank (mutual savings bank) and there was a rebellion in the membership (and criticism from the NCUA -- National Credit Union Association) with accusations that insiders would profit from this conversion.
            Eventually this credit union gave up on their conversion attempt but they went after a former president of their board who publicly spoke against the conversion and barred the member who led a petition drive from using the credit union.
            The article says the board was recalled, but some of the retribution happened after that and I can't tell if the current board is a good group that's replaced a bad group, or new but equally bad.
            We're not eligible to join the other convenient credit union -- so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

by Tamar on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 11:14:40 AM PDT

•  the main thing here is that the financial (15+ / 0-)

establishment is not going to be happy if large numbers of churches start divesting funds from them.

nor is the political establishment going to be happy if large numbers of churches start standing with OWS.

Being ignored is the difference between being a one percenter and an American.--sweeper

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Thu Oct 13, 2011 at 09:51:07 AM PDT