View Diary: Democratic Congresswoman says GOP colleagues admit to tanking the economy to hurt Obama (249 comments)

•  We've already suspected that. (30+ / 0-)

Rep. Sanchez saying that without naming people isn't helpful. When she's ready to name names, then we'll have something.

Corporations aren't people; they're Republicans. Rev. Al Sharpton

by HappyinNM on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 04:30:12 AM PST

•  Need lots of special elections then (0+ / 0-)
        the United States Code at "usc|18|2381" [25] states "whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under this title but not less than $10,000; and shall be incapable of holding any office under the United States."

WTF!?!?!?! When did I move to the Republic of Gilead?!

by IARXPHD on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 08:47:35 AM PST

•  Treason is defined very tightly in US law -- in (2+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane, dewley notid

the COnstitution I believe.  The Founders had watched  the English royal government defining treason as anything they considered shocking.  We don't get to do that.

Republicans being indifferent to the suffering of ordinary Americans isn't a crime.  But if the people of the US really believed they were sabotaging the economy, there would certainly be punishment.

As so often, it's the failure of the media that's crippling us.

•  In the eyes of Americans,its treason (0+ / 0-)

You don't need to quibble over definitions.
          The American people are ready to hear this.
          They need to hear this.
          Loud and clear and often just like the false news they hear on Fox, only the truth.

•  oh, it's a crime alright .... (0+ / 0-)

just not treason, by this definition.

"... a disciplined minority of totalitarians can use the instruments of democratic government to undermine democracy itself." -- Hannah Aredt, regarding the behavior of the National Socialist (NAZI) Party in the Reichstag in the Weimar Republic.

by billlaurelMD on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 01:55:58 PM PST

•  And, (11+ / 0-)

how could she be "friends" with these people!  Its just like the argument "people are saying."  What people?

•  It's politics, (5+ / 0-)

And naming names means more BS from the disloyal opposition.  The narrative is already set, this is another small nail in the coffin, which makes it worth cheering.

The miracle, to me, is that the Republican noise machine has lost the narrative, thanks to Pres. Obama's brilliant and sadly underrated political accumen.  When he destroyed Paul Ryan's media-hyped budget plan it got clear to me that they'd go into 2012 with serious problems defending the last 45 years of freeing markets in order to create the worst economic climate since the 19th Century.  Even die-hard Republican voters challenged those who dared meet with them.

I'm amazed that leftish pundits are missing the most exciting  change I've seen in the political environment in 50 years.  With a 9% approval rating, Republicans are still feared by everyone but so-called LIV's?  Obama and Dems are weak, but Republicans in Congress have no choice but to raise taxes on their wealthy buddies?

This is so amazing.  I can hardly wait to see how they spin the Republican cave-in into proof that Democrats always fail.

by I love OCD on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 07:11:05 AM PST

•  Trashing Ryan's budget in the full pomp and (2+ / 0-)
          I love OCD, Onomastic

circumstances of an address to Congress was in fact brilliant.  ANd damned cold, too. (WHich I applaud.)  Pres. Obama acts at times as if he were just learning how to manage Washington levels of power (as if, say, he'd only been a half-term Senator before making the leap to President).  But other times, he's brilliant.  I think he waited unnecessarily long to take the gloves off, and compromised too many times, but he's made the shift to fighter now, and it's the background of moderation and compromise that lets the public see him as a fighter for the public good, not just a partisan thinking about the election.

But the Republicans aren't going to cave, and they certainly won't agree to raise taxes on the rich.  Their strength as a party is completely emmeshed with the funding supplied by, and the influence wielded by, the super-rich.

Everything comes down to the 2012 elections.

•  I understand your question (2+ / 0-)
            Onomastic, Eclectablog

about his timing, but he needed to be fully established as the sane, rational man in charge for people outside the blogosphere, people who don't watch politics with passion and deep interest.   He did an amazing job with that,  too, especially given the intensity of the opposition - the RW did everything but publish pictures of black men raping white women, and he's still not the scary angry black man in OUR White House.  That's genius.

White Presidents wouldn't be battling endemic racist attitudes, which means they can trot out the anger without having to consider BS consequences.   Sad but true.  Now he can throw punches and fight back, and he's in the position of daddy fighting the bullies for us, not daddy the gangsta.

by I love OCD on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 11:20:41 AM PST

•  it's like when pelosi says 'our (1+ / 0-)
        Eclectablog

friends on the other side of the aisle'

it's congeniality, it's collegiality, it's not barbecues and sleep overs.

'We apologise for any inconvenience during essential global improvement works' - sign on the front steps of St. Paul's, OccupyLondon.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 01:53:00 PM PST

•  Here, let me help you out (3+ / 0-)
      wishingwell, dewley notid, HappyinNM

I'll name names for you: Click HERE. It's too long for a comment.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."
      -- Dr. Peter Venkman