View Diary: I wasn't in favor of OWS. Now I am. (206 comments)

•  I find your diary very interesting. I reached the (9+ / 0-)

point you are now at over 5 years ago.  I have simply seen too much since about 2000 and, actually, during the 1990s, as well, to think that it makes much of a difference as to who is in the White House.

The republican party is the party of rapid deterioration and decay and the democrat part is the party of slower deterioration and decay with nice, kind, peaceful phrases included to deaden the pain for the middle and upper middle classes and peace freaks.  That's really all there is to it, any longer.  Oh sure, when election day comes and I have a choice between luke warm, mush mouth Obama and Atilla the republican - who will rape and pillage my family and friends - OF COURSE I'll vote for Obama.

HOWEVER, NONE of that diminishes the ache in my heart caused by the knowledge that WE HAVE NO REAL CHOICE$ AT THE BALLOT BOX.  NONE.  The REAL choices are: 1) big oil war monger candidate and 2) big banker hi tech industry puppet candidate.

Make no mistake, that realization caused me great pain and still makes my heart ache but it is the truth and I'm glad that one more bright person can no longer ignore the painful truth or drug himself into being a moderate, happy, delusional peacenik.

Welcome to the club.

Your brother in painful reality,

Saint Jimmy

You never turned around to see the frowns on the jugglers and the clowns when they all did tricks for you. ~ Dylan

by Saint Jimmy on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 09:01:40 AM PST

•  Yep, same here. (4+ / 0-)

I've got my spine, I've got my (DKos) orange crush, we are agents of the free.....R.E.M.

by FlamingoGrrl on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 09:56:14 AM PST

•  Ditto. I had been very depressed knowing that (4+ / 0-)
      Saint Jimmy, CTPatriot, 6ZONite, Creosote

there was no actual pathway to correct all the wrongs that have been done.  When OWS came into being, that depression disappeared.  I have actual hope for humanity again.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 10:23:56 AM PST

•  Yep. Same here. Obviously, I wish the (2+ / 0-)
        Evolutionary, 6ZONite

traditional use of elections was still a viable alternative for needed change but it is not.  I think the only way to make it that, once again, is to use demonstrations and, if possible and necessary, massive strikes to force power to open the process.  I'm afraid that is all that will work and scare them enough to change.

The FIRST ITEM that needs to be changed is campaign finance.  Removing money from elections HAS to be the prelude to REAL CHANGE and not lip service and laughter.

I need to not post any more until tomorrow for a couple of reasons.  One of them is that I almost got ill this morning watching some main stream media types gloat over what happened in New York yesterday with the "removal" of the Occupy folks and the subsequent court "ruling".  I'm getting too old to take this shit, any longer.

by Saint Jimmy on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 10:35:46 AM PST

•  Since money seems to make the world go (1+ / 0-)
          6ZONite

round, you will indeed see change.  Bloomberg isn't using his personal fortune to pay for this police occupation.  He's using taxpayer money.  The reason for the coordinated and vicious attacks are because they can't keep up the police presence much longer.  Even cops don't want to be out in the snow 'guarding' the Occupy.
          They made one big 'push', hoping to break our backs.  They haven't produced a violent reaction from OWS, they haven't been successful in evicting or attempting to eradicate the movement, and they are running out of money to do it with.  They were hoping for some violence, so that they could get Federal backing, like the National Guard.  A continued non-violent protest will simply wear them down to our level at some point.
          It will get worse before it gets better.  For your own mental health, just step away from the news and the blogs for a day or two.  That's what I do, and it helps me a lot.  You can't pay attention to this 24/7 - it would kill you.

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 10:50:31 AM PST

•  You're right.... and THANKS. Seriously, I guess (1+ / 0-)
            Evolutionary

I love my country (or what's LEFT of IT) too much, or some dorky thing like that.  If you're out there in NYC, take care.....

by Saint Jimmy on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 12:13:52 PM PST

•  Not in NYC, but have been to Occupy Oakland (1+ / 0-)
              Saint Jimmy

several times in the last few weeks.  I have to take breaks from it, and even from Kos, just to get some brain down-time.  Uplifting movies seem to help :).

#OccupyOMC - "We have a permit, its called The Constitution".

by Evolutionary on Wed Nov 16, 2011 at 01:15:18 PM PST

•  lobster boiling: slow vs fast (0+ / 0-)

don't fool yourself that it's more humane or less cruel to slowly boil middle class America.

don't fool yourself that they endorse this strategy.

don't fool yourself that this will endear you to them.

don't blame them if you get scalded in their desperate efforts to get out of the pot.