View Diary: We lobbied Congress IN PERSON to support Sen. Sanders Constitutional Amendment. This is our story (115 comments)

•  Don't believe what you see in the papers (6+ / 0-)
    Zydekos, zett, pot, elwior, Creosote, 4Freedom

BPD gave statements to the media as part of perception management. What they were saying to us at 5 am yesterday morning is quite different. What they've been saying to all of us in camp the last two months is quite different.

If they agreed with the movement, they wouldn't have sent in provocateurs to sow violence and fear.

If they agreed with the movement, they wouldn't have come in daily to harass, intimidate, and manhandle peaceful protesters.

If they agreed with the movement, they wouldn't have rounded up junkies and drunks and dumped they at the entrance to camp at all hours of the day and night and told them, "Here's your new home. Have fun."

If they agreed with the movement they would have helped us get the homeless someplace safe, out of the freezing cold, instead of stealing their few meager belongings and then laughing in their faces when they asked, "Where do we go?"

Don't believe the talking points repeated by the corporate fluffer media. Anyone on this site should know better than to do that.

When are you going to understand that being normal is not necessarily a virtue? It rather denotes a lack of courage. - Practical Magic

by Keori on Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 05:44:45 PM PST

•  It's just that you rarely hear cops... (2+ / 0-)
      elwior, CuriousBoston

...make even that kind of admission. It goes against the macho grain. And I'm the daughter of one, 30 years NYPD. But I take your word for it, you lived it 24/7.

Ich bin ein Wisconsiner!

by Apphouse50 on Sun Dec 11, 2011 at 06:07:40 PM PST

•  I think this is something I want to say to you (3+ / 0-)
      CuriousBoston, NMRed, 4Freedom

You know, I’ve thought a lot about your response to my original message here, and I think I have to tell you that in your last sentence, you remind me of what I think some of the Occupy movement’s biggest problem is, and it is reflective of what I often see right here at DK. And that is the tendency to bite people who are some of your most ardent supporters while you’re busy biting your most ardent detractors.

I was not down there 24/7. I’m a 61 year old full-time employed woman and could not be. I was down there quite a bit though, washing dishes, driving down about 10 pairs of jeans, sweaters, and 5 or 6 winter jackets my rather large son has outgrown, multiple rounds of  books for the library tent, gluten-free baked goods, etc., marching in the day and in the evening, and listening to people at the podium who were often inspiring, and sometimes not particularly inspiring, but all dedicated and courageous. And when I was not down there, I was defending the Occupy movement to whoever would listen.

When the raid seemed as if it might be imminent, I arrived down there at 2 am to be there as long as I could overnight between Friday and Saturday morning. If there was to be police brutality, something I learned about firsthand in Washington DC in the spring of 1970, I wanted to be there to bear witness to it and document it here and elswhere. I stood in a circle and listened to people young and old share their stories of what the movement means to them. I left when the Occupy folks all broke for coffee and doughnuts around 3:15 am. At 61, the last thing I needed was caffeine and sugar at that hour of the morning, and I was being told there was no definite knowledge that the raid would in fact happen that night or even Saturday night, despite indications from people on the “inside” that police officers were being made to stay beyond the end of their Friday night shift. So I walked the 3 blocks back to my car, by myself I might add, and drove home. Shortly after I arrived home, the Livestream informed me that the raid had begun, so I watched it on TV. I wish I’d stayed, but I couldn’t stand any longer as my back and knees are not the greatest.

I’ve met many wonderful people there. I’ve also met some whose social skills are not what you would necessarily want to be on the “Faces of Occupy Boston” pages – something I recommended to the folks manning the computers weeks ago, by the way. I suppose the worst was the young man sitting near what had been the Food Tent, who, when I approached him at around 2:30 am Saturday to ask if any food donations were being accepted (figuring I might drop something off the next day and having heard about an 85 year old woman who nearly had been arrested the night before for attempting to deliver a pan of ziti) called me a "bitch" and told me to get out of his face. (Some of a movement's biggest PR problems can come from right within its own ranks, another thing I learned in the 60's. Might wanna jot that down.)

Your statement about “Anyone on this site should know better than to do that” reminds me of stuff I see here fairly often, and it also leaves me scratching my head about all the leaders of the Occupy movement who have stated over and over again that when they think no one is looking, many, many police officers are giving thumbs up. As the daughter of a man who watched the NYPD police retirement fund get raided by the city more than once, we lived it, and I can well imagine how some police officers quietly give the thumbs up sign. And those thumbs up signs have often been proudly cited by Occupy’s own leaders.

But, as too often happens here, you thought it would be a nice touch to add your “Anyone on this site should know better than to do that.” (Oh! I'm SO ashamed!) Well, forgive those of us who have heard your own leaders, or who thought it an interesting touch that police officials would even feel compelled to say such a thing, for whatever reason, at a time when most of what we’ve heard from police has been accompanied by the sound of billy clubs and pepper spray and LRAD. We’re just doing our best trying to be as supportive as we can, but apparently, if you are to be believed, some of us are just so deficient! Sigh. It’s just so confusing when your own leaders are saying the same thing. But what do they know? They don’t all hang out at DailyKos like you do, I’m quite sure.

But before you go getting too snippy with your supporters, you might want to pay a bit more attention to what your leaders are saying -- not to mention who is calling your donors "bitches." That is just SO not helpful.

Congratulations and much gratitude to you if you were in fact one of the gutsy people who stuck it out down there, by the way. Just try not to act as if others haven't tried to pay their dues in whatever way they are able, or "should know better." Maybe we should just hang out here all the time and be done with it?

Ich bin ein Wisconsiner!

by Apphouse50 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 04:23:51 AM PST

•  And apologies for use of the word "leaders" (1+ / 0-)
        CuriousBoston

...which I realize is something the Occupy movement avoids. Was referring to people interviewed on TV, radio, etc. Would the word be "notables"? I'm guessing "spokespersons" would not be correct. (See? I'm trying really, really hard to measure up here.)

Ich bin ein Wisconsiner!

by Apphouse50 on Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 05:12:54 AM PST

•  They are part of the 99%. If they don't do (1+ / 0-)
      Apphouse50

what Menino wants, they are toast. Burnt toast.

Social Security is an INSURANCE PROGRAM. FICA FEDERAL INSURANCE CONTRIBUTIONS ACT

by CuriousBoston on Mon Dec 12, 2011 at 05:59:08 AM PST

•  An interesting read on what I saw and more (0+ / 0-)

...though as I stated separately, I headed home around 3:20 AM.

Evidently it wasn't all hate and vinegar between the cops and the Occupiers, as I had observed that night and on numerous other occasions.

But you will, I'm fairly certain, correct me if I'm wrong.

Ich bin ein Wisconsiner!