View Diary: Walker's Wisconsin: Kenosha County Sheriff Says Signs More Than 4" Wide Not Allowed On Public Land. (218 comments)

•  ideas-- (16+ / 0-)

for yard signs that tend to get run over:
    surround the sign with spike sticks, the kind that will rip a tire to shreds.
    Rig the sign with a balloon full of paint, so that when the sign is hit, the balloon explodes
    Rig the sign with a trigger and a camera to take pix of the vehicle. then use the pic as evidence for a destruction of personal property suit.

for signs that get pulled up:
    drive them into the ground and smear the stick  and bottom edge of the sign with axle grease.
    rig the sign with a trip wire and camera, or alarm, the kind of trip wire that will activate if it is disturbed or broken.

and, as a poster suggested, for sign size limitations, just make multiple signs.
    12 people standing in a row wearing sandwich boards, each with a single letter on it, can spell out "recall Walker"

And finally, fergawd's sakes- EVERYBODY bring a camera. cell phone, audio or video recorder, and turn them on when something  starts. Get a long range lens and a parabolic microphone reflector (cheap), which will capture sound at a distance, and have somebody trained use them. Test it first, to make sure it will work. Put it away from the petition table, out of site, like maybe in a car. Or, if you have a camera with a remote, just have somebody press a button.. At the first sign of an incident, have the operator go to the car and record the incident from afar, where he can't be seen. And upload it to youtube right away. If no one is visible recording the incident, you can bet the instigator will act out, and they will be more likely to violate a law or three. Note - if you do the hidden / candid camera thing, make sure everybody knows where it is, and maneuver the instigator so that the face is plainly visible. IOW, the volunteers talk with their backs to the camera, but out of the line of sight.

"Whenever the people are well-informed, they can be trusted with their own government" T. Jefferson

by azureblue on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 10:35:03 AM PST

•  Generally (8+ / 0-)

I agree with you.  The acts should be recorded.  However, I'm unsure of the local law.  Recording somebody and NOT informing them of the fact could be a violation.

As long as you have a backup recorder, so if the perps go after the obvious camera, you can legally record that, because, after all, they were informed they were being recorded, it should be OK.

Remember, we can't be the lawbreakers.  That gives them ammunition.

•  in my state it's illegal to record someone without (1+ / 0-)
        ruleoflaw

their permission. A couple who overheard and recorded a cell phone conversation between Gingrich and other Republicans in Congress scheming about his ethics violations got in big trouble. So you've got to be careful about the recording.
        But you can use that to your advantage. If you tell people you're recording them, they will often back off from an unreasonable position.

If, in our efforts to win, we become as dishonest as our opponents on the right, we don't deserve to triumph.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 03:29:34 PM PST

•  Good suggestions but, there are so many people (2+ / 0-)
          Tamar, ruleoflaw

circulating petitions and not everyone is willing or able to bring cameras, make specialty signs and so forth. Sometimes it is just an effort to get all bundled up, find the pens, figure out where to meet people and so forth.
          Luckily, this is almost over.

•  I was thinking about all the work all of you have (7+ / 0-)

have been doing and how totally grass roots it is. Yet here we are in front of our computers throwing all these suggestions at you as if you were clueless.
            You WI activists have been tremendously tolerant with all our back-seat driving even though you guys have been leading the way in How-to-Protest-Peacefully-Make-a-BIG-Impact-and-Fix-the-Government.
            I really admire Wisconsinites and how you've been changing a bad system so effectively.
            Congrats and cheers to you, Puddytat, Noise of Rain, Giles Goat Boy (and I know I've left off others)!

by Tamar on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 04:18:14 PM PST

•  Thanks, Tamar... the suggestions and tips are (7+ / 0-)

useful, sometimes there is gold among the more obvious suggestions. However, it is nice to have the reality of the street acknowledged. Mostly, we've got 4 more days to get sigs. And we've got a lot of them.

But we all (of course) have a jobs, kids, cars, houses (if we are fortunate, as I am) and health to pay attention to.

There won't be much rest. We've got to be constantly mobilized now, as ALEC never sleeps.

•  Tamar, that was a really nice response, (5+ / 0-)

I (we) appreciate all the interest and support from near and far. I didn't mean to put a damper on all these good ideas,it is just I am way lazier than noise of rain, badscience and a few others that post consistently here and it is all I can do to remember to bring mittens and a hat, let alone a bunch of 4 inch cards! LOL.

•  What is it with the number 4 anyway....? (4+ / 0-)

4 inch signs, no more than 4 in a party in Madison.

Is this all the higher the GOP can count!?

•  it wasn't a damper -- it's actually an inspiration (4+ / 0-)

reminding us of how you guys kept your protest going in miserable weather, organized and got 2 Republicans recalled while saving the seats of Dems attacked by the Republican machine, almost beat a sitting judge on the Supreme Court, and are now doing a fantastic job of collecting signatures to get Scott Walker (who's in a 4-way tie with Snyder, Kasich & Scott for worst governors ever) out of office. And all of this came from the people up -- not from some Koch brothers well-paid fake organization.

by Tamar on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 06:31:36 PM PST

•  I mean I am glad the signature gathering is almost (4+ / 0-)
                    Tamar, Puddytat, JamieG from Md, zett

over, I find it to be too much for my personality . I just keep thinking, "Thank God this whole thing doesn't depend on just me, because it would never get done".

I do my share of the phone calling and data entry and I may even do canvassing to GOTV this time, so I am evolving, but, I am a total wimp compared to most of the Kossacks. I guess it takes a little from everybody and we all have our specialties.

I am pretty good on the phones, which is really weird, because in my non-activist life, I don't really like the phone. But when GOTVing or calling volunteers, I seem to put people at ease and sense how much or how little to say. I love it.

•  You're right, Tamar (1+ / 0-)
              buckybadger1988

Mostly we're providing moral support. And pizzas.

I did send in a donation to the ACLU of Wisconsin.

Shop Liberally this holiday season at Kos Katalog

by JamieG from Md on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 09:28:19 PM PST

•  how does this apply to seeing someone (0+ / 0-)

break the law?  how is it different from being a witness to a crime and having/giving evidence?  i'm thinking of security cameras.
          maybe posting that the area is being surveilled by security cameras would cover that.

post something that says "for the safety of our volunteers, this site is being monitored by surveillance cameras."

Is GlowNZ back yet?

by edrie on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 06:09:05 PM PST

•  cheapest and easiest solution (3+ / 0-)
      noise of rain, JVolvo, ruleoflaw

is to post a small sign in from of the endangered sign, reading "caution, video surveillance in progress". Oh, if you want it to be more convincing you could take some old electronics, dead hard drive, whatever, and tie them up high in the trees where they might be spotted by someone who's looking for them.

No laws broken, no expense wasted, no need to review tapes, lol. But it will deter some of the hoodlums.

~On, Wisconsin! On, Wisconsin! Raise her glowing flame!~

by sillia on Mon Jan 09, 2012 at 01:22:46 PM PST

•  And stream the video (0+ / 0-)

so if they take the camera, the footage is elsewhere.