View Diary: Health Insurers Refuse to Rescind "Unreasonable" Rates; Snub Feds (250 comments)

•  Miracles occur (2+ / 0-)
    happy camper, blueoasis

only when Modern Science discovers them...  e.g., stem cell research
     GoTo:  http://worldstemcells.com/...

The swinistic greed and racial hatred of the American ruling elite is abysmal

by joe wobblie on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 06:38:33 AM PST

•  When I was at Duke Med Center several drs told (5+ / 0-)

me that there was nothing more they could do for me unless I wanted to 'TRY" a new stemcell procedure. Knew of two fellow scleroderma patients who tried it and died..Now had I been early/younger in my disease I might have 'tried' it, but also knowing how often invasive procedures can often worsen one's condition, I opted out. I chose quality of life over quantity. Being hooked to machines is nothing I want for myself.

Back in the 90s I was told I had 5-7 yrs- well I'm still here:)

Had I given myself over to the will of drs, I doubt I'd still be alive. Anyways, that's my personal medical journey.

I do have high hopes that these new procedures will eventually prove to be life saving for some, but  the profit motive discourages me from participating at this time.

"Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

by roseeriter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 07:24:09 AM PST

•  More power to you (2+ / 0-)
        joe wobblie, highacidity

It sounds like you educated yourself and made an educated decision.

I do however think you must be VERY careful in advocating people ditch modern medicine for "natural" cures before fully educating themselves and working in conjunction with reputable doctors.

Even very smart people can get sucked into this hope.   I read that Steve Jobs was very remorseful for believing in "natural remedies" before finally turning to traditional medicine.

•  I doubt that roseeriter (1+ / 0-)
          Mnemosyne

...has powerful influence over the decisions that strangers make about their health care decisions.

All stories should be told without need for special warnings.

Most people, when knocked over by the truth, have a tendency to pick themselves up, brush themselves off...and then hurry away like nothing had ever happened.

by Pluto on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 10:51:31 AM PST

•  I'm not advocating anything. I am suggesting (4+ / 0-)

take some control of self needs and know, learn your own body's responses and needs. Drs tend to treat everyone's physical problem as if we are all the same, ignoring that what may work for one may kill another. Many people treat drs like supreme intelligent beings and believe me they are just like everyone else, luck of the draw.

I've had some great drs and I've had some horrible insensitive drs who shouldn't be treating anyone.

To me we do have a choice even when we think we don't.
          Usually when we are very ill we are very vulnerable and just want relief, help etc. And that is usually when we give someone else our life so to speak.

I do advocate to do your own research about your disease and health issues.

My drs have noted in my medical records that 'patient is very knowledgeable about her disease'. It kind of makes me chuckle cause I don't know if that impresses them or is used as a warning to other drs.:)

"Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

by roseeriter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 10:53:33 AM PST

•  my guess is (0+ / 0-)

the latter:

Docs in the American system don't seem to do well when you question their infinite wisdom. One of the governing factors in admission to med school used to be, perhaps still is, evidence of a strong personality that thinks it's always right, aka god complex.

I hope that's changed in recent years, but haven't seen much to indicate so.

Listen, are you breathing just a little and calling it a life? -- Mary Oliver

by Mnemosyne on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 07:03:28 PM PST

•  So doctors are bad. (0+ / 0-)

Don't mistake good luck for having made good decisions.

2.1 million Texans voted Democratic in the 2010 midterms. How many people in YOUR state voted D in 2010?

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 10:34:28 AM PST

•  That's your statement not mine. n/t (0+ / 0-)

"Time is for careful people, not passionate ones."

"Life without emotions is like an engine without fuel."

by roseeriter on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 10:53:59 AM PST

•  So deciding on a highly experimental and dangerous (0+ / 0-)

treatment that killed the only two people to have tried it before (the highly experimental and known to be fatal stem cell therapy) would have been a better choice?  Do you really believe that it would be better to hope and pray that the third time is the charm (given that it killed the previous people who tried it) rather than try a "natural" treatment that at worst would do nothing?

There is no saving throw against stupid.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 01:14:12 PM PST

•  Ah, yes. Doctors are all ignorant. And bad. (1+ / 0-)
            AdamSelene

I suppose rather than have a skyscraper designed by an actual architect we should have them designed by hobbyists.

The anti-intellectualism on the Left isn't nearly as bad as it is on the Right.

But it sure is alive and well, sadly.

If I were dying and my doctor had tried everything else and we were down to "experimental" treatments that could have fatal side effects you bet I'd take the chance.  Rather than do nothing and very likely be dead anyway?

As I said, don't mistake being one in a million lucky for having made wise decisions.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 01:30:31 PM PST

•  Not could, will. If the failure (and death) (0+ / 0-)

rate of the experimental treatment so far was 100% would you still go for it or would you pass and take your chances doing nothing?  In other words would you still have an architect design that skyscraper even if every other skyscraper of that design collapsed within a year?

There is no saving throw against stupid.

by Throw The Bums Out on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 02:28:21 PM PST

•  And who recommended a 100% fatal test? (0+ / 0-)

Come on.  A hospital program in the U.S.A. recommended trying a 100% fatal experimental treatment?

A treatment doesn't get out of the LAB RAT stage if it's 100% fatal.  Come on.

by Rick Aucoin on Mon Jan 16, 2012 at 02:35:10 PM PST