View Diary: I give up :) (204 comments)

•  I'll keep an eye out... (1+ / 0-)
    Angie in WA State

I moved from Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) - his bowtie could win the election for him; never has had a series challenge, to Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) - about the same, sans bowtie. November will be some other congressional race, then, or the CA legislature, where getting a supermajority could help get some stuff done down here. We'll see.

It's weird to have never really had a congressrep in a competitive district in the 25 years I've been voting.

"I like to go into Marshall Field's in Chicago just to see all the things there are in the world that I do not want." M. Madeleva, C.S.C.

by paxpdx on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:10:20 PM PST

•  here in the 3rd CD in SW WA State, we'll have (3+ / 0-)
      cuphalffull, Lefty Ladig, paxpdx

on the (D) side of the aisle:

Jon T Haugen, 24 yr Navy Pilot veteran, spouse is a nurse at a local hospital. While I'd rather he supported a Light Rail connection to Portalnd, Oregon over the Columbia River, his other issue statements meet my expectations of a federal legislator.

I've been waiting for a (D) candidate to appear, to challenge the 2010 winner, Jaime Herrera Beutler (R). Looks like I'll have to contact his campaign and find out how I can help out!

* * *
      I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization
      * * *
      "A Better World is Possible" - #Occupy

by Angie in WA State on Thu Jan 19, 2012 at 11:20:24 PM PST

•  I see Craig Pridemore... (0+ / 0-)

...is running for Auditor instead of another try for Congress.

Unfortunately, I don't see anyone ousting JHB this time.  They've made WA-03 much redder.

Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. -- A. Lincoln

by N in Seattle on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 12:00:01 AM PST

•  Well, to be honest, he never really did much in (1+ / 0-)
          N in Seattle

the way of "running" in 2010... by the time Baird announced his retirement it was nearly too late for anyone without the state Party apparatus behind them...

and for whatever cockeyed reason, they choose Denny Heck and his 20something year old campaign slogan of "give congress heck" - which failed to elect him way back in the, what, late 80's or early 90s, and again in 2010.

Pridemore staff said as much, that he simply didn't have time to garner enough dough for the race, what with the late start.

I am surprised that he didn't have another go at it.

I won't write my district off just yet, she's had plenty of lack of support from the local paper (the Columbian), and that to me was surprising, as they've been pretty rightwing since I was a kid.

Anyway, with the economy and Occupy and the fucking crazy on the Right side of the presidential election, perhaps enough of the Republicans in WA State's 3rd CD will sit 2012 out... and turn our little corner of the world back to calm and steady blue.

* * *
          I like paying taxes...with them, I buy Civilization
          * * *
          "A Better World is Possible" - #Occupy

by Angie in WA State on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 01:28:32 AM PST

•  You might also want to keep an eye (2+ / 0-)
      paxpdx, Angie in WA State

on the Board of Supes -- not sure if San Jose's seat is up for election this year or not; Liz Kniss whose been representing the north part of the county is going back to the Palo Alto City Council and Joe Simitian who got termed out in the legislature is running for her seat. With the county tempted to follow the current trends of sticking it to the public employees (and their unions), it's going to be pretty critical to have good folks in there.

Now to try to end the wars we ask our gay and straight soldiers to fight. -- Chris Hayes (modified)

by Cali Scribe on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 01:08:39 AM PST

•  Thanks (2+ / 0-)
        Angie in WA State, Lujane

You're right - I've not paid a ton of attention to their procedures & how all that works. I know (vaguely) a couple of them through immigrant rights stuff, but really don't know much about the others, and who's up for what.

I'll look into that. You're so right about the risk to the unions, especially with the economy still so shaky here.

by paxpdx on Fri Jan 20, 2012 at 06:59:18 PM PST