View Diary: Martin Bashir of MSNBC vs Joe Walsh (R Ill) Bashir Hits It Out Of The Ballpark (150 comments)

•  As "welching" is a racist term, I suggest Walshing (7+ / 0-)

The Welsh are no more likely to back out of an agreement than any other ethnic group. However, we know Joe Walsh backs out of agreements whenever he feels like it, so I suggest replacing the term "welshing" or "welching" with "walshing" on a bet.

•  Ummm, no. While Welch is the language of Wales, (4+ / 0-)

welch has nothing to do with them and is defined in the dictionary as failing to honor an obligation or to swindle someone.

However, your idea as to Walsh does indeed make a great deal of sense.

by gustynpip on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 02:09:51 PM PST

•  It is widely believed, but not proven (0+ / 0-)

That to 'welch on a deal' derives from behaving like a Welshman, thus the reason some people take offense.

from a bright young conservative: “I’m watching my first GOP debate…and WE SOUND LIKE CRAZY PEOPLE!!!!”

by Catte Nappe on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 02:29:57 PM PST

•  I have not heard an alternative etymology (4+ / 0-)

Dictionaries either do not give an etymology, or claim the word was derived from "Welsh" in the mid 1800s. In any case I wasn't taking offense, just using that as a lead-in to suggesting we change the term to "to Walsh."

Funny thing though how words can be insults without us really knowing, for instance, most people don't know that "to gyp" is an insult against the Romani, otherwise known as gypsies.

Huh. I suggest we change that term, too. I suggest that when we wish to convey the idea that someone doesn't pay their fair share (like a 13% tax on a multi-million income) we say they have "Romneyed" someone.

•  only 'cause those damn' Welshmen refuse to (0+ / 0-)

STAY DEAD....

"Kenyan-Muslim-Communistic-Expialidocious!"

by chmood on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 04:15:18 PM PST

•  Sort of like how Scotch tape (1+ / 0-)
          Catte Nappe

was named because the makers of it were being skimpy on the glue.

Keep your religion out of my government.

by catwho on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 08:42:16 PM PST

•  I suppose "to gyp" isn't racist, either? (1+ / 0-)
        TrueBlueMajority

Okay, first off I am not calling anyone a racist. Just a little "fun with etymology" kind of thing. I had heard from a Welsh-American that it was racist against the Welsh.

What is the etymology of the word welch? Most dictionaries I looked in (and I looked in a few before I wrote the previous post) said it is a derogatory term derived from Welsh. Like "to gyp" someone is an insult against gypsies, suggesting all gypsies rip people off, "to welch" is an insult to the Welsh and suggests they all go back on their word.

Where do you think the word came from? You really think it's just a coincidence that it sounds like the name of an oppressed people?

•  Actually, no one really knows where the (2+ / 0-)
          ER Doc, WheninRome

phrase/term comes from but it appears that it refers to English bookies who crossed the border into Wales to avoid their debts. Or at least gained currency at the time that practice was common.

•  By all accounts (2+ / 0-)
          StellaRay, JVolvo

to "Welch" or "Welsh" on a debt is a reference to Wales, just as to gyp is a reference to Gypsies, but IMO not one in ten casual users now would even think of the roots of the words.

They are cases where the modern usage has transcended the origins. Kind of like the term to "cross the Rubicon" How many people know that the Rubicon is a river or "beyond the pale" references the land beyond a "Pale" of demarcation as in the The Pale of Settlement in Russia or Dublin?

"But much to my surprise when I opened my eyes I was the victim of the great compromise." John Prine

by high uintas on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 03:45:53 PM PST

•  Welsh is the language of Wales, (0+ / 0-)

not Welch... until a court decides otherwise...

•  Hmmm. I actually corrected that before I hit post, (0+ / 0-)

yet it posted wrong.  Not sure how or why, but I did try to get it right.  Sorry.

by gustynpip on Tue Jan 24, 2012 at 09:28:14 PM PST

•  WALSHING! that could catch on!!! (0+ / 0-)

"Politics is like driving. To go backward put it in R. To go forward put it in D."
      Must see video: When Mitt Romney Came to Town