View Diary: Flat Out Lying (189 comments)

•  Ya know.... (11+ / 0-)

I'm not a GenXer, I'm a firmly situated baby boomer, and I've never seen anything like this current crop of miserable lying nutballs.
    History will treat them unkindly, which is (and will be) completely justified.  Unfortunately, in this era of instant info (all of which can be verified OR debunked) the people who play into their lies will be viewed equally unkindly.

I think, therefore I am........................... Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose AKA Engine Nighthawk - don't even ask!

by Lilyvt on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 06:00:22 PM PST

•  I think there is so much lying simply because (14+ / 0-)

society allows it and enables it.  There are no social consequences for it.  It's very sad.  Politicians used to be proud of telling the truth, of being honest.

Which a psychologist or psychiatrist would address us on how to deal with this.

Occupy The Voting Booth - vote for candidates that represent your Occupy values.

by mumtaznepal on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 07:45:34 PM PST

•  "Which" should be "wish". Sorry (4+ / 0-)

by mumtaznepal on Sat Jan 28, 2012 at 07:46:04 PM PST

•  Right. (14+ / 0-)

Republicans are like little kids who first discover, to their glee, that things often go better for them if they lie.

If no one calls them on it, or punishes them for it, they are actually rewarded for their antisocial behavior ... so they do it again.

And again.

And again ...

I'm a psychotherapist, but I don't have a clue how to deal with this on a societal level.  I would say that society as a whole would have to call Republicans out on their lies repeatedly, and heap scorn and shame on them -- but it's not happening.  I don't know how to make that happen.

Not only does it seem that people are too tolerant of Republicans' blatant lying ... they actually expect it of them and accept it on that basis:  "Well, that's what Republicans do.  What's the problem?"

•  Yup.... (5+ / 0-)

I ask people who 'believe' what Rush and the repubs say and their answers are pathetic.
          'Everyone does it' (lie) is NOT acceptable, not when the results would be a dismantling of our lives (so-called middle class life),
          'they're politicians, they're expected to lie' is NOT acceptable,
          'I hate that bum 'expletive' in the white house', bigotry is NEVER acceptable (this was actually said after the speaker had returned from an almost free annual checkup, thanks to the new healthcare directive).
          I really am very tired of the bigotry, stupidity, selfishness and downright meanness of what's left of the repub party and their followers.
          Some time ago, I knew a man who liked to be cruel and mean and he got away with it because other people said 'oh well, that's the way he is'.
          NO! dammit, call these people on their BS.  My response to his cruelty was, 'stop it, no one has a right to be 'that way', suppose he was dripping in blood after having killed someone with the axe hanging at his side, would you still say 'oh well it's just the way he is'?
          Someone, somewhere has to be courageous enough to call these repub liars out for what they are.
          It isn't comfortable, it isn't easy and it certainly will cost you, but it needs to be done.

by Lilyvt on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 06:04:06 AM PST

•  If they only said (3+ / 0-)
          highacidity, Crashing Vor, niemann

"That's what Republicans do," then it wouldn't be quite so bad. What makes the situation so awful is that people see what Republicans do, and they say, "That's what politicians do."

"These are not candidates. These are the empty stand-ins for lobbyists' policies to be legislated later." - Chimpy, 9/24/10

by NWTerriD on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 08:33:01 AM PST

•  Sadly, the kind of lying they are doing is (1+ / 0-)
      Crashing Vor

not illegal.

What ever happened to the Golden Rule, Do unto others as you would have them do to you?

What ever happened to ethics?

What ever happened to actually representing your constituency, instead of your biggest donors?

"I don't need a script to tell the truth" Ed Schultz, Feb. 4 2010

by BusyinCA on Sun Jan 29, 2012 at 03:53:53 PM PST

•  '50's BAD (0+ / 0-)

I am a bleeding-edge boomer who grew up in the '50's, and, even if just a grammar school kid then, HATED the that the atmosphere was full of fear; fear of 'commies,' fear of everyone who was not 'us.'
      I was taught to duck and cover for the atom bomb, and remember what seemed to be constant atomic bomb fear-mongering for political gain.  'Tail-gunner Joe" was elected by my parents and other WI citizens- a real indictment of them.
      Back then there was only one acceptable way to be and to behave.  Woe be to Blacks and women who didn't know their place. Non-mainstream individuals of all kinds hid their true selves or they were targeted, and hypocrisy was rampant among the entitled "Real Americans."
      I was too young to understand specific instances of political liars or media misbehavior, but I remember the political and social atmosphere.  The way we live today totally takes me back to that ugly time.