View Diary: Obama's October Surprise (291 comments)

•  Oh god. Really? You really get that upset over (2+ / 0-)

someone saying they're not happy with a lot Obama has done?  You really want to pull out the pony meme over that?  Bizarre is all I can say.  And I'll continue to not be happy with a lot of what Obama has done - and with a lot he's not done.

Just as a hint that I KNOW he could have done better, I'll just type one word - Geitner.

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 02:37:18 PM PST

•  Too damn many posters… (11+ / 0-)

…come on here expressing their disappointment over what Obama has done or hasn't done and they're so disappointed that they avow sitting out the election in a snit. The 112th is the result of that attitude.

But more importantly, how do I know from your post you're not one of them? Now, I accept that you may not be, but I'm going to continue to trot out the pony meme every time I read the "disappointment" crap. Why? Two wods—Eleventh Commandment.

I reallize it was Saint Asshole who coined the popular iteration of it, and to whom it was directed, but the sentiment is valid and  applicable to us, as well. We should be presenting a united front—something left of center, but embracing all within and encouraging as strenuously as possible the voting and vote from that quadrant.

I imagine people happening across this site (much as I did) to seek comfort from a like minded community. What I don't think aids our cause is any deviation from a united front whose aim is thwarting the election of any rethuglican.

I've lived through six rethuglican administrations, and I don't believe this country needs nor deserves another. If I get testy (and trot out cliched platitudes as hyperbole) it's because I will not be comfortable with a single lost opportunity for an anti-rethuglican vote. If that means pony talk and  counseling against expressions of "disappointment" with any of "our" candidates, too bad. Our worst candidate is more imperative than their best, and every means, including a united front, is more important than a pony, or Geitner.

•  You continue doing whatever the hell you want and (3+ / 0-)

I'll continue not giving a shit.  You trot out the pony meme and I'll trot out the cheerleader meme and we'll have a fine old time, won't we?

I don't give a shit whether you "know" if I'm one of the ones who intend to sit out the election.  (Although you can probably infer that since I supported a comment that called someone out for referring to Obama as a moderate Republican).  Good lord, grow up and realize people can have different opinions on issues than you and that people can voice opinions in ways you don't necessarily approve of.  Get off your high horse - and I'll stay on my little pony, thank you very much.

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 03:50:33 PM PST

•  Whatever (1+ / 0-)
        blueoasis

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 05:37:56 PM PST

•  Love your well-written and thoughful comments. nt (0+ / 0-)
    •  You can't refute right wing majorities... (2+ / 0-)
      Deep Texan, worldlotus

...which is why you choose instead to weasel about the  pony meme, I think.

Every legislation, policy, appointment and word out of Obama's mouth is subject to very severe constraints, with substantially less than optimal material results guaranteed, under such circumstances as that real politik of brokered politics, subject to right wing majorities since day one, and now even worse.

Blaming Obama for what the Republicans (and Blue Dogs) have compelled, to make sure that he "fails", is...incorrect.

Democracy is the most fundamental revolutionary principle.

by Radical def on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:02:44 PM PST

•  What the hell are you talking about? (2+ / 0-)
        slatsg, blueoasis

Who said I blame Obama for anything?  Saying I'm not happy about a lot of things is somehow blaming him?  Get real.  And grow up.

by gustynpip on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:21:01 PM PST

•  What's...immature, is your adhominem dismissals (1+ / 0-)
          worldlotus

...evading the real argument, that "errors", less than optimal "choices", insufficient material results, and the whole laundry list of "failures" are far more attributable to right wing majorities compelling onerous compromises, to get anything whatsoever accomplished, however fucked up and inadequate it may be, and to prevent reversal of everything we have accomplished in the last 50 years...than to the Prez being "too conservative", or "the same" as a goddamn Republican, or whatever.

(That's your cue, to start screaming about freakin' "Obamabots" objecting to "any criticism")

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Democracy is the most fundamental revolutionary principle.

by Radical def on Thu Feb 23, 2012 at 04:59:58 PM PST