View Diary: (UPDATED-Screed is DOWN!)Thank You, Pat Robertson! (200 comments)

•  Wow, thank you (2+ / 0-)
    jethrock, Cassandra Waites

I'm actually writing a book, which will hopefully be done within the next two years. Writing is something I find very therapeutic. Knowing that it helps other people who have also lived through these experiences makes it even more so.

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places ~Ernest Hemingway
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle ~ Anonymous

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 01:57:55 PM PDT

•  I got this too late to rec it (2+ / 0-)
      Roxine, SwedishJewfish

Wish I could!

Best to you with writing your book.  I've longed to write a book my whole life, but I'm not organized enough to make myself do it yet.  I just don't have the confidence.

People need to hear your story, and know that what they're going through is not their fault.  Had a long discussion about this at dinner the other night with friends, and it was clear to us that more women (and now men) are no longer willing to put up with the old "blame the victim" ways of yore.

I wish you the very, very best.  As a member of the tribe, and as a date-rape survivor.

•  I never had confidence in my own writing... (2+ / 0-)
        TX Freethinker, Roxine

Political stuff I could do but as far as personal narratives, I found it impossible until I opened up about this. "Write what you know", as they say.

I am VERY disorganized :P So, just sayin...If you have always wanted to write a book, you should! I didn't start off thinking it was going to be a book...I wrote something that I thought would end up being a post on here, but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea (too personal) So I shared it with someone and they said "you know, I think you have a book in there" I had never seriously considered it before.

People will hear not just my story, but a lot of other peoples stories very soon. We have some big plans, and a lot of amazing people on board. We are going to force this issue into the public discourse, and break the shame and stigma that keeps so many survivors silent. I really hope you will join us :)

by SwedishJewfish on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 02:06:05 PM PDT

•  In your F*ck Joe Paterno diary (2+ / 0-)
          Roxine, SwedishJewfish

I commented that I wanted to see you write a book called "The Girl Who Climbed Trees".

This may be something completely different.  But you are a great writer.  Don't sell yourself short.

Politics is like driving. To go forward, put it in "D". To go backward, put it in "R".

by TX Freethinker on Fri Mar 30, 2012 at 08:13:09 PM PDT

•  Was that you?! (0+ / 0-)

Ahhhh, I remember that :) That was what first put the idea in my head...I go back and forth about the title. Right now the working title is "For a Girl". The title of a song by Madonna that I always loved, and listened to with one of the girls I am dedicating it to- Reese (I talked about her in my Pat Robertson diary) and the lyrics are relevent to my experiences. And also, because it is for every girl who has gone through this to know they are not alone-including the girl I was best friends with.

This is the cover page I have in mind:
            Photobucket

I like "The Girl Who Climbed Trees" though, a lot, so I might end up using that title...we will see! It's a loooong way from being finished.

Thanks Tx...I read your message to me, btw. Haven't had a chance to respond yet, but I want you to know that it really lifted my spirits on a particularly difficult day.

BTW-since we are "alone" here so to speak...I want to give you a sneak preview of what we are doing and ask if you can participate. Our kickoff campaign is this:

And we really want not just survivors but people like you, who stand shoulder to shoulder with us, to submit messages too. If you are up for it, send something in to wearetheoneinfive@gmail.com. If you have any questions about it, you can reach me there.

by SwedishJewfish on Sat Mar 31, 2012 at 04:45:24 PM PDT

•  Is this already active? (2+ / 0-)
              joe wobblie, SwedishJewfish

Or should I wait for a couple of weeks until it is finalized?

How is the 501-3c application going?  I would like to make a substantial donation to the cause, but if I can wait a few weeks and get a tax deduction, so much the better.

And Rebecca, whatever you decide on the title, that cover is wonderful.  The photograph of the girl who is still enjoying an innocent childhood is heart-breaking.  Because I know how the story ends.

The reason I like "The Girl Who Climbed Trees" as a title, is because it speaks of that innocence lost.  That fact that "climbed" is in the past tense, speaks to me about how that precious little girl was lost forever.  I am just so thankful that Rebecca, that strong, resiliant, remarkable woman, has been able to rise Phoenix-like from the ashes of her youth.

by TX Freethinker on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 07:57:13 PM PDT

•  I just went back and read my comment in that diary (2+ / 0-)
              joe wobblie, SwedishJewfish

I had suggested :
              1.  A childrens book
              2.  An adult memoir
              3.  A movie (along the lines of Fried Green Tomatoes)

I had never before seen your response:

I'm working on it already :) (0+ / 0-)

A combination of 1. and 2. I think

As for movies well....as long as they use Charlize Theron to play my role :P

I've seen pictures of you as a child.  But if you look anything like Charlize Theron now, I like you even more!  LOL!

by TX Freethinker on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 09:52:19 PM PDT

•  Just me weighing in but (1+ / 0-)
          SwedishJewfish

Yeah, You've got a book in there, whether it's memoir or fiction.

'Corporations are people, my friend . . .' Mitt Romney

by Cowalker on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 03:15:04 AM PDT

•  That's not how I meant to sound (2+ / 0-)
            SwedishJewfish, TX Freethinker

I meant that you could express your experience through memoir or fiction, but that the experience was valid, either way. I know from experience that this is true.  Please accept my sympathy SwedishJewish.

'Corporations are people, my friend . . .' Mitt Romney

by Cowalker on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 03:25:51 AM PDT

•  omg thank you for clarifying that... (1+ / 0-)
              TX Freethinker

I was worried for a second...yeah, I still have a handful of people who think I made it up for some reason.

If it is presented as a memoir, my mom is planning on writing the forward just to hedge that-I never told her, but she always knew. All of the signs were there, and I more or less told her in my own way eventually (which I don't remember at all, it's wierd)

I'm not sure how I'm going to do it...a memoir is hard (although that's how I'm writing it right now) because I have so few memories of the time in which this was actually occuring. Between age 8 and 10 everything is a blur. My memories before and after are very vivid. Right now, it's about the aftermath-how I continued to re-traumatize myself for many years afterwards, and the people I met along the way who were doing the same thing.

There is a desire to fictionalize it because it involves other peoples stories, and I don't want to hurt people. I'll probably end up changing identifiers or something...we will see.

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Apr 01, 2012 at 10:20:28 AM PDT