View Diary: Lawrence O'Donnell & Co. Just Skewered Joe Oliver Over His Alleged Friendship With George Zimmerman (303 comments)

•  Is that snark? (16+ / 0-)

The only times I've seen O'Donnell be anything close to self-effacing was when he interviewed the rare person that O'Donnell considers Very Very Important. He is usually rude to persons he interviews, and insulting because O'Donnell is so full of himself that he talks nonstop during the interview and leaves time for a single sentence reply from whatever expert he's interviewing. From my perspective, he's particularly rude and condescending to women. O'Donnel treats interviews as his personal opportunity to get on his soapbox to demonstrate his self-perceived knowledge and superiority.

I watched O'Donnell for a while but had to stop because I find his delivery so brash and objectionable. Rachel Maddow is my idea of an excellent interviewer. Chris Hayes and Melissa Harris Perry are also good.

All that said, I watch O'Donnell's show (appropriate description for his program) occasionally for a specific topic -- something that has a lead-in from TRMS.

The sh*t those people [republicans] say just makes me weep for humanity! - Woody Harrelson

by SoCalSal on Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 09:42:58 PM PDT

•  no. to answer your question. it's not snark. (12+ / 0-)

but i think you knew that.

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounding yourself with a-holes - William Gibson.

by doesnotworkorplaywellwithothers on Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 09:47:18 PM PDT

•  I thought LOD was over the top (15+ / 0-)

While I agree that Joe is most likely a publicity-seeking media whore (see: Kato Kailin [sp?]), O'Donnell seemed as if he thought he was Clarence Darrow and spent most of the interview playing the role rather than probing for answers and understanding. It was really uncomfortable to watch, so much so that I shut it off mid-way through the 2nd segment. LOD seemed to have no intention of interviewing Joe, he seemed to want only-- and desperately-- to discredit him as thoroughly as possible.  I think the guy probably deserved it, but surely the mission could have been accomplished by using a well-aimed scalpel rather than a machete.

"It may be true that the law cannot make a man love me, but it can keep him from lynching me, and I think that's pretty important." Martin Luther King Jr.

by Arabiflora on Tue Mar 27, 2012 at 11:39:05 PM PDT

•  I have noticed that tendency also (1+ / 0-)
      boadicea

but he is totally doing great work now.   You could still get alcohol poisoning if you drank every time he dropped a name, but I know he knows some good ones...I mean, it's not like Keith Olbermann acted like a poor black child or anything so I'm not sure why that bothers me so much. But it still does.
      Ambivalence, your name is Lawrence O'Donnell.

"...Can't do nothing, girl, without somebody bugging/ I used to think that it was me/ But then I learned it wasn't." --Salt NPepa None of Your Business

by chicating on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 08:04:06 AM PDT

•  SoCal, everything you dislike about ODonnell (3+ / 0-)

is why I like him :)

I get so tired of  false civility in the face of total BS.

"Orwell was an optimist"

by KnotIookin on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 12:21:04 PM PDT

•  I'll vote for Rachel Maddow's civility (0+ / 0-)

any day over O'Donnell's arrogance and rudeness, and I don't sense any falseness about Maddow at all.

Give me a specific example of false civility, and I might agree with you.

by SoCalSal on Wed Mar 28, 2012 at 06:36:40 PM PDT

•  false civility - 'my good friend on the other side (0+ / 0-)

of the aisle'   when what the person really wants to say is "that damn liar'

as for maddow, I like her show...to a point as I find her style a little off putting ...  there are times I wish she stopped being clever and got angry but that is my preference....as I said, I prefer a good verbal beatdown in the face of blantant lies.

I did appreciate Rachels rant on how Romney LIES A LOT.   I hope she and others continue to call what he does LYING because that is what it is and I so dislike when pundits try to find ways to not call a lie a lie  :)

As for that 'friend' of Zimmermans... he was a liar looking for a way to ingratiate himself into this case and he should NOT even have been making the media rounds and deserved absolutely no respect from ANY pundit who interviewed him... he deserved to be exposed, ridiculed and cut off from further participation in any serious discussion of this case.

"Orwell was an optimist"

by KnotIookin on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 05:23:00 AM PDT

•  I agree with this: (0+ / 0-)
            I so dislike when pundits try to find ways to not call a lie a lie
            Although I'd rephrase that to: I so dislike when pundits don't challenge false statements. How I want them to do that is with reason, facts, intelligence. Some controlled passion can be good too.

What I don't want to hear is along the lines of Joe Wilson's yell at POTUS, "You lie!" That was childishly inappropriate, demonstrated lack of self control and/or desire for confrontation and attention.

Personally, I struggle with an explosive temper that never achieves good outcome.

by SoCalSal on Thu Mar 29, 2012 at 01:39:01 PM PDT