View Diary: A Police Officer Was Forced To Release Pepper Spray. At 4 Year Old. (235 comments)

•  Bad Mother! (2+ / 0-)
    elwior, jpmassar

Bad, Bad, Mother!

Imagine bringing a child into a public hallway of a public building for a public meeting!

Public Safety must be maintained, even if we must endanger the the public to maintain their safety!

Next target PTA meeting, parent teacher conference, city council meetings. In fact, just leave the kids at home at all times. Might get a parking ticket one day thereby endangering public safety.

Solidarity Forever, for the Union makes us strong.-Ralph Chaplin, 1915

by JayRaye on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 11:24:03 AM PDT

•  See reply to elwior (if desired) (1+ / 0-)
      elwior

I just think the responsibility for a child exceeds that of protesting.

Maybe the (presumed) child's mom was just on her way to the adjacent overflow room.  If so, I'm wrong, and I apologize.

If she was actively protesting in the hallway or pressing to get into what I presume was a full main conference room, it was an irresponsible action on her part and in my opinion.

Lots of presumptions on my part, but there are also many presumptions on others' parts that security personnel are evil and seek out a four year olds to pepper spray.  I doubt this is true.

I'm sorry the four year old (and others) got sprayed.  If she weren't toted along, she would not have been.

•  I totaly agree with you. (2+ / 0-)
        elwior, jpmassar

Now that we know that cops must use pepper spray to maintain public safety, children should be kept at home at all times. After all, one never knows when one might upset a cop or a citizen's patrol, or neighborhood watch.  And now that schools are patrolled with pepper spray, children should no longer go to school.

And no more irresponsible parents allowing them to observe public meetings either. Esp since public meetings are now patrolled with pepper spray.

New rules are needed for our New America, and we thank you for enlightening us.

Solidarity Forever, for the Union makes us strong.-Ralph Chaplin, 1915

by JayRaye on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 12:53:38 PM PDT

•  I can speak for myself (0+ / 0-)

I don't need your b.s. tying this to other circumstances -- not to mention Trayvon's murder -- and my perceived views of such circumstances.

And I don't know if this event was orderly or merited police-type action.  If the latter, and if you want cops to use Nerf bats (interesting term with a surprising alternate definition I just learned of) or whatever to stop shovers (crickey, another surprising spell check definition), instigators, mobs, or others -- who are unresponsive to verbal direction -- then good luck in your utopia.

•  Yes, it's never wrong to blame the victims (2+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, JayRaye

and those associated with the victims.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 01:12:30 PM PDT

•  Oh wait, never mind. (2+ / 0-)
        jpmassar, JayRaye

I see this officer was forced to release his pepper spray into a crowd of innocent people inside a public building.
           He was concerned for their safety.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 01:16:46 PM PDT

•  pepper spray appropriate? (0+ / 0-)

Given the ventilation confines, the pepper spray could easily have been a hindsight mistake.

But we don't know what prompted this security guy or gal to act.  They obviously felt forced to react to -- yes, another presumption -- some one or some group that was unresponsive to direction and/or perceived as threatening.

I doubt the threat was the presence of a four year old, as this diary's title implies.

While the pepper spray likely impacted more people than desired, would you have preferred a baton?

Whatever.  I guess my initial thought of why was a four year old brought to a place where "some 100 student protesters tried to force their way into a board of trustees meeting" (Time article quote ... just pick your own number if you don't like "100") is waaaaaaaaay out of line.   Sarcasm on.

•  Once again, thx for your wise words. (1+ / 0-)
            elwior

I realize that you are absolutely right, better to use pepper spray on citizens in public places than batons. Altho using both together, probably much more effective.

Citizens will eventually learn to just STFU & stay home where they belong. Much more peaceful that way.

Again, thank you for enlightening us.

Solidarity Forever, for the Union makes us strong.-Ralph Chaplin, 1915

by JayRaye on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 02:26:13 PM PDT

•  A "hindsight" mistake? (1+ / 0-)
            JayRaye

Really? You want to go with that one?

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution

by elwior on Thu Apr 05, 2012 at 02:30:07 PM PDT

•  With regard to the non-instigators, yes (0+ / 0-)

(Arrgh.  Retyping this due to my "wonderful" touchpad.)

Obviously, the security person or people targeted some people with pepper spray -- not a hindsight mistake.

The point I was trying to convey (not well ... thanks) is that dispersion of the pepper spray via the building's ventilation system may have inadvertently impacted people, like the four year old, who were not trying to force a response from the (let's call them) police.

So if the police had better (i.e. more localized temporary impact) tools other than pepper spray available for the confrontational protesters, pepper spray could be considered a mistake with hindsight, given that it affected folks other than those of immediate concern.  I don't know that police would have a better option, given their circumstances, duties, and experience.  Maybe.  Maybe not.

I've just watched my first video of this event, moving beyond news reading, and there's no question that some protesters were trying to elicit a physical response from the police.

In my book, these protesters are pretty despicable.  They are purposely trying to create a violent situation, regardless of its consequences on one side, the other side, and the police in the middle.