View Diary: It's okay if you are Joe Zarelli (128 comments)

•  Um, I'm going with selfishness and a sense (21+ / 0-)

of entitlement, not irony.

My sister in law is a rabid republican and she was on disability for a while. When she was criticizing the "lazy unemployed who watch TV rather than getting a job" my mom mentioned that S-I-L was getting a government check. Oh, but turns out she deserved it because her arm hurt. All those people who paid into unemployment insurance, expecting to receive payment if they lose their jobs? They are taking advantage -- why should S-I-L work hard at her job so those deadbeats can sit around drinking, doing drugs and sleeping all day?

My mom decided that it wasn't worth the discussion. It's not possible to reason with people this out of touch.

The search for truth and knowledge is one of the finest attributes of a man, though often it is most loudly voiced by those who strive for it the least -- Albert Einstein

by theKgirls on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 05:08:25 PM PDT

•  This is the truly demoralizing part. So many (11+ / 0-)

people continue to vote against the very programs they participate in, and completely refuse to see it. Get the government out of my medicare mentality. When you point it out to them, they always have an excuse as to why they are different, that they have somehow paid into system for their benefits, but everyone else is just a leech.

My idea of an agreeable person is a person who agrees with me. Benjamin Disraeli

by pvmuse on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 05:55:05 PM PDT

•  I would try this: (3+ / 0-)
        JamieG from Md, brein, theKgirls

Be careful what you ask for -- you may get it.

Do you realize that when the government cuts these programs, they see absolutely no difference between you and the person you call a leech?  That if they cut unemployment benefits, and you or another family member loses a job, that's your benefits, your husband's benefits, your kid's benefits on the block?  That you are asking them to cut the benefits you earned through hard work, the benefits you need because of a real injury, the benefits you paid into for YOUR old age?  They don't care.  They don't see you as any different from the people you complain about.  They swing a hatchet, not a scalpel, and they make no distinction between the deserving and the undeserving.  Everyone gets cut -- that's what you are asking for.

"There isn't a way things should be. There's just what happens, and what we do." — Terry Pratchett (A Hat Full of Sky)

by stormicats on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 08:46:37 PM PDT

•  Did you even read my post? (0+ / 0-)

What are you talking about? I wasn't calling anyone a leech, please, before making dumb comments read my post again...
          Sheesh

by pvmuse on Fri Apr 06, 2012 at 10:08:35 PM PDT

•  I don't think stormicats was talking *to* you. (1+ / 0-)
            theKgirls

I think stormicats was suggesting a course of action we could all try when talking to a Republican/rightwing beneficiary of government help.

"Lone catch of the moon, the roots of the sigh of an idea there will be the outcome may be why?"--from a spam diary entitled "The Vast World."

by bryduck on Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 09:42:54 AM PDT

•  I see I should have used quotes (0+ / 0-)

I really thought starting a post with "I would try this:" would suggest to my reading audience that what came after the colon was not directed at the person to whom I was responding, but rather to the subject they were addressing themselves.

Please read MY comment again and realize that what I was writing was a rebuttal to the kind of people you were describing in your comment.

And honestly, did you really think it was that dumb?

by stormicats on Sat Apr 07, 2012 at 04:03:47 PM PDT