View Diary: Article in The Atlantic Magazine Restores My Hope in The Progressive Movement (128 comments)

•  We need to notice an important fact here. (34+ / 0-)

What happened to Limburger happened because women sat up and took notice.
    There is something happening among women that I thought would happen in 2010.
    I thought the midterms would be the time for a "women's tsunami". It wasn't and there was an explosion of anti-woman legislation as a result.
    There's a strong anti-woman component to many of these ALEC laws.
    Women are especially p/o-ed politically right now. I think women are really leading this thing now, and I think it's why things are going to change.
    I think it's helpful for us to acknowledge that and facilitate it.

I'd rather have a buntle afrota-me than a frottle a bunta-me.

by David54 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 06:22:41 AM PDT

•  Actually, There Was A Women's Tsunami in 2010 (14+ / 0-)

but, unfortunately, it helped ignite the explosion of anti-women legislation of the last 2 years -
      58% of White Women Voted RepubliKlan in the 2010 Congressional elections.

The Great White Anti-Obama Backlash of 2010 may turn out to be the last gasp of the GOP, especially now that it apears that White Women are finally waking up to the fact that they are women first.

I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of the Republican Party.

by OnlyWords on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 07:06:33 AM PDT

•  Obama has to deliver and motivate (14+ / 0-)

Women were adversely impacted by the economic downturn.  Disappointment in Obama and the GOP Congress was reflected in lower voter turnout among women voters.

The lower turnout among women voters in 2010 skewed the numbers for women voting Republican.  That can be remedied by encouraging more women to turn out in 2012 and we can safely assume both campaigns are aware of the need to make it happen.

Motivate and deliver tangible results - that's the key to getting women voters support in November.

•  Thanks for that. We need everyone voting. (2+ / 0-)
          G2geek, mainefem

Frankly everyone should be voting for Obama and Dems.
          That's what's best for them, even the tea partiers and gop-ers.
          Even the 1% is going to eventually succumb to unsustainable crazy Wall Street capitalism, if we don't change things. The only way to do that is to get the gop out of the way.

I'd rather have a buntle afrota-me than a frottle a bunta-me.

by David54 on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 03:27:01 PM PDT

•  if they are still allowed to vote after ALEC's (1+ / 0-)
            Ray Pensador

action in many States. See, the damage ALEC has caused on this country is huge. Finally, we are fighting back. Finally. What I am trying to say, well with respect to hope - what I see is foremost the damage already done. Even if we could stop all these bills in the pipeline today, which we cannot, it would take years to repair the damage already done. And the political consequences of anti-immigration, anti-women, anti voter legislations will have political ripple effects for years to come. The only hope I see is that when the right goes extreme as we are experiencing with real legislation that effectively tries to restore the white bible America of the 50ties - that Americans will finally stand up. Thus, my hope is that this will throw the GOP back big time and it will take them years to reach main stream again. But at the moment they are actually succeeding to turn the clock back in this country - including with help from the conservative Supreme Court. Scary indeed.

•  Ultimately we have to make them feel the pain. (1+ / 0-)
              Ray Pensador

We have to take the fight back to them anywhere and everywhere we can. For instance, on the pipeline, there are a lot of red state gop voters who are opposed to the misuse of the eminent domain laws to take their land and give it to the oil cos. We have to make common cause with them on that.
              The poor voter turnout on our side, esp. among women, was noted elsewhere on this thread. We have to overcome the voter suppression laws and get everyone out to vote this time. If we do that, then the gop will start feeling the pain.
              It's not enough just to defend ourselves against them.

I'd rather have a buntle afrota-me than a frottle a bunta-me.

by David54 on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 02:18:17 AM PDT

•  Thanks, Betty (0+ / 0-)

I keep saying this to people and people--even those on the Hill--keep not listening.

They insist on thinking it's just about whether Americans like Republicans or Democrats better.

First, you have to figure out whether Americans even believe in voting in the first place, or are able to get to the polls, or get the Scott Walker run-around when they get there.

For God's sakes, when you have a really low percentage of eligible voters--much less the American public as a whole--voting, it skews things toward whoever has the most reliable set of fanatics.  Guess who that is.

I know you know this--pardon my over-enthusiasm; it's just that I keep saying this over and over and my friends on the Hill keep acting like I'm talking Martian.

Being ignored is the difference between being a one percenter and an American.--sweeper

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:22:27 PM PDT

•  Hmm. this must have been (1+ / 0-)
        mainefem

the retired post-menopausal white women's tsunami.

It's amazing how cavalier some older ladies get when they no longer have anything at stake.

•  58% of White Women probably didn't vote at all (0+ / 0-)

in 2010.

Low turnout, guys, low turnout.  Keep watching the g-damned turnout.  It will burn you every time.  It will burn us this time if we're not careful.

Stop focusing all your attention on Republicans--or, if you do, focus your attention on the Republicans actively trying to stop people from voting, as in Scott Walker, Mitch Daniels, that a-hole Kasich, Ric Snyder, etc.  This isn't just about what dickweed Republican candidates are running, nor is it just about whether or not the voters like Republicans or Democrats better. None of that matters a damn until you get them at the voting booth.

by SouthernLiberalinMD on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:17:06 PM PDT