View Diary: Mitt Romney to mothers: Want dignity? 'You need to go to work' (237 comments)

•  And Michelle's $340 K PR job? (2+ / 0-)
    Sparhawk, 2thanks

This is about choice.  The Obamas as the Romneys had choice - and income far above the majority of the country.  Just a fact.

Both chose how to finance and manage their families.  Both had opportunities, again, not available to the majority.

Get over it.  Rich people run for and achieve office.  Welcome to the Machine.

The President is correct.   This is out of bounds and NOT what will decide 2012.

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 12:18:12 PM PDT

•  We've had he mind meld, now the wayack machine (1+ / 0-)
        2thanks

Michelle speaks

"Do you think you could change his mind on somethings?"  "I'm sure I could".

The Vid is long.  She is not a passive participant, and should not be.  I love Michelle, but this argument about whose spouse is better is ridiculous...

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 12:47:23 PM PDT

•  What is ridiculous ... (15+ / 0-)

is that you keep insisting the argument is about Ann versus Michelle, when you're the only saying that.

I'm done.

•  You're the one that keeps bringing up Ann... (1+ / 0-)
            2thanks

Sorry to not fawn over your opinion...our your arguments

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 01:01:49 PM PDT

•  EdMass truly doesn't get it n/t (0+ / 0-)

"There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.” ― Ernest Hemingway

by TriciaK on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 06:43:55 AM PDT

•  You and you alone are the one making (4+ / 0-)

the comparison in this Diary:

And Michelle's $340 K PR job?
          this argument about whose spouse is better is ridiculous...
          The Romneys are clueless and offend without knowing why.  It is doubtful that most republican women are defending Mrs. Romney with any kind of sincere commitment.

The Romneys are so far beyond the Country Club Republicans that even that base cannot see Ann Romney as an every-day stay-at-home-mom.  I imagine that this stereotype reserved for blue-collar "moms" is as offensive to these women as the pampered "mom" image is to those women who can and do stay at home with their children...without nannies, personal chefs and housekeepers.

When someone is impatient and says, "I haven't got all day," I always wonder, How can that be? How can you not have all day? George Carlin

by msmacgyver on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 01:43:57 PM PDT

•  OK... Disregard the President...your choice (1+ / 0-)
            2thanks

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 02:12:51 PM PDT

•  I wrote the following comment for another diary (0+ / 0-)

over the same topic.  I am using it here...because I don't want to write it all again and it applies to this discussion.  You won't like my opinion but I'm not one to not say anything because my view is not in the majority.  Regardless, take it as you will:

The issue is not really how Ann Romney framed anything since it was Rosen's comment that brought this to life.  I think it has made it 100 times worse to try and defend what Rosen said over and over again rather than letting it die the death it deserves.

At the moment, because of the comment, Ann Romney now seems like Mrs. Cleaver to most Americans.  Before Rosen's comment, I am willing to say most Americans had no idea she wasn't a lawyer or a physician or what have you.  To be perfectly frank, I am a complete political junkie and I honestly had no idea until Rosen said what she said, that Ann had always been a housewife.  I never knew that, I just assumed Ann had a career.

So now Ann Romney looks like the soccer mom down the road, who makes cupcakes for all the kids.  Nobody hates the soccer mom down the road who makes cupcakes for all the kids, no matter how rich they are.  There are plenty of middle class and even upper class stay-at-home women out there with housekeepers and lawn boys and whatever who will take this issue straight to heart, unless we drop it and quit digging the knife deeper.  We absolutely need their votes.  So every time any of us say that since Ann Romney was filthy rich and since Ann Romney had a choice and simply because of that or perhaps because of that she wasn’t the “the right kind” of stay at home mom or she is less worthy of notice or somehow it makes it less honorable, it simply looks like an attack or insult.

Even the issue that she had outside help... what does that say to the millions of private school, garden club, PTA, pool boy and housekeeper having stay-at-home moms.  Don't fool yourself and think they must all be Republicans.  Millions are not.  So what does that say to them who always vote Democrat….and always give to Democrat charities and campaigns or volunteer for Democrat causes, because it is the societal, urban, modern thing to do.  What statement does that give to them?  It sounds as if we are saying that if they had a choice or if they have some money in the bank, or even a ton of it, then maybe their choice might not be quite as honorable because they themselves may think themselves to be just a little like Ann.  I know tons of upper middle class soccer moms, as a teacher.  I know tons of the same as an active Progressive woman who is active in democratic causes and work side by side with the women I am describing.  They take their status as a wife and mother as something that they are extremely proud of and they never consider it less that worthy regardless if they are a doctor’s wife or a janitor’s wife.  If the Rosen comment and further defending it sounds like an insult to me, and I can’t stand Mitt and Ann…imagine what it sounds like to other women, who made the same choice as Ann, even if they were lucky enough to have been able to do anything they wished.

I think what Rosen said was idiotic.... period, and on multiple levels. Not only was is the wrong thing to say politically, but as much as I hate everything Mitt and Ann stand in policy, I really think what Rosen said was insulting to any stay at home mom, including Ann.  We should just agree it was stupid and move on.  Otherwise, it only looks like we are attacking "Mrs. Cleaver" over and over again and Romney's team will make sure it is headlines every time we try.  It is a losing issue.

The President knew this, Michelle Obama knew this, and the DNC knew this…hence the multiple statements on how they didn’t agree with it.  We should take the same attitude and move on without further comment.

•  It's not an argument about whose (0+ / 0-)

spouse is better. It never has been.

It does involve the challenge of economic justice for working women.  It does involve which of the two major parties' platforms best addresses those genuine needs.

Ann Romney had a net beneath her every time she needed one.  If she fell, it would keep her from harm.  Working women in the rest of the population -- the people without that net, that much cash, or that many Cadillacs -- work in a world where much more is at stake.

The GOP has tried to pounce on Ms. Rosen's remarks to embarrass the Democratic Party's reputation with women voters.  We have every right to call them on that kind of bullshit.

•  I don't have to get over anything (26+ / 0-)

Michelle Obama's academic credentials and her ambition put her at the high earning level, not her life of privilege.  Both she and the President paid down student loans at the beginning of their marriage and were able to pay them off due to the sale of Obama's book.  Hardly Romneyesque.

It would be out of bounds if Romney had not introduced his wife as the one who "reports" to him what American women think and believe and the wife who "works" as a stay-at-home-mom.

by msmacgyver on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 12:25:22 PM PDT

•  You are supplying Right Wing talking points. (6+ / 0-)

This is a Progressive site friend.

"We the People of the United States...." -U.S. Constitution