View Diary: Mitt Romney to mothers: Want dignity? 'You need to go to work' (237 comments)

•  BTW, they don't want to KILL your children (8+ / 0-)

they just want you to give them up for adoption or relinquish your parental rights if you are unable to afford their care on your own. And if you don't, they tell you that you are selfish and a bad mother.

If you aren't willing to give your kid away, then they want the right to take the fluids from your body to make sure there are no drugs, inspect your home to make sure there are no modern appliances, and inspect your person to make sure you aren't using any of that welfare money to take care of yourself. They want to dictate what foods you can buy, what clothes you and you can wear, what you are allowed to do with your free time (if you should even have any to begin with) and above all else they want to sterilize you.

Really.

The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places ~Ernest Hemingway
    Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle ~ Anonymous

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 03:00:00 PM PDT

•  *Correction should say "you and your child" (3+ / 0-)
      elwior, 2thanks, blueoasis

not you and you.

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 03:02:29 PM PDT

•  Wow (1+ / 0-)
        2thanks

First off, I have always supported you.  I shared my stories here on Dkos in your diaries and in emails to you regarding the abuse that I and my friends suffered from catholic priests.

Second, the only point of disagreement I have with the diarist is that she refuses to follow the President's lead as to how to deal with this situation, i.e. don't include the spouses.

I am sorry for your pain.  However, I cannot believe that even repugnant Repubs want to hurt or kill children.   The laws that exist are the result of both parties screwing up, whether with good intentions or not.  If what you suggest (sterilization?) is the case or even possible, all is lost regardless of what the people desire or believe is possible in 2012.

"Vote Obama, he won' sterilize you!"

That doesn't sound right at all....

Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 05:35:26 PM PDT

•  just because you can't bring yourself to believe (3+ / 0-)
          2thanks, blueoasis, Remediator

it, doesn't mean there isn't decades of evidence that that is exactly what they believe.

•  wu ming, you have aimed the flashlight (0+ / 0-)

right smack dab at the Republican record.

I say good for you.

And I agree -- bad for the Republicans.  They have a now-decades-old legislative record of exclusion and discrimination.

It would be helpful for their rank and file to begin with Nixon's "Southern Strategy," because it is a kind of watermark for what motivates them to exclude.

If it's ok with rank and file Republicans to fear-monger based on race, then no wonder they're voting for people like Romney and Santorum.

•  This isn't a personal attack on you (5+ / 0-)

just a very strong disagreement, based on my personal experience. Yes, this really is how many of these people think. As I said, there isn't any desire to kill or maim children, but there is certainly an overwhelming desire to punish women in my situation for having children outside of what they deem acceptable circumstances.

I fought these battles quite often on the mommy boards I talked about- this was actually my introduction into the world of politics. I never cared about it before until I realized that there was a political philosophy out there who's proponents wanted to not only take my child away from me but prevent me from having any future children. Have you never heard the argument that all moms on welfare should be forced to have their tubes tied as a condition of receiving aid? It's pretty much doctrinaire among conservatives. I've even heard it from some claiming to be liberal! This doesn't cause me pain, by the way-it just makes me angry and disgusted. I know I'm an awesome mom.

If you want to see how the conservative movement views single unwed mothers, Google "Ann Coulter Single Mothers" and read the venom she spews. She is a proponent of forced adoption, among other things, and is pretty much a mainstream conservative commentator.

I'm not keen on attacking candidates spouses, by the way. But I don't see how this diary does that at all-it is simply raising the issue of Mitt Romney's hypocrisy on this particular issue, which I think is pretty fair game.

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 07:01:28 PM PDT

•  OK, that "walk a mile" thing was unnnecessary (1+ / 0-)
          2thanks

I do apologize for that. I just get a bit amped up about this issue because it hits so close to home.

by SwedishJewfish on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 07:06:39 PM PDT

•  I respect you and I will reconsider my opinions (2+ / 0-)
            SwedishJewfish, 2thanks

and investigate where you have led me.

Thanks, as always.

Peace   ;-)

by EdMass on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 07:16:24 PM PDT

•  Just sent you a Kosmail (n/t) (1+ / 0-)
              2thanks