View Diary: Darlin', Don't Disrespect Your Man That Way (262 comments)

•  Noddy, I've read enough of your diaries to know (12+ / 0-)

you can take care of yourself.  And I read the one on being nice, so I know you won't stoop to the petty retaliatory stuff that immediately leapt to my mind.

I agree with those who think he was doing a little scouting/grooming, but I think he realizes he picked the wrong 'victim' now. I think when you said, "Yes. They're in Afghanistan fighting for the right for men like you to go around insulting their mama while she goes about her business" he realized you weren't someone to trifle with.

Don't get me wrong. He may indeed try some petty BS to get back at you for making him feel like the fool he is.  I'm confident you will deal with it the way you do.

And folks, Noddy already has a big dog in training! His name (for now) is Puppy Se7ven, & he looks like he's gonna be a big'un.  :-P

•  I think his name is going to be Hector (6+ / 0-)

and we are working on nipping issues.

He's a pretty smart dog, but not on the lines of smart like Itzl or even brain damaged Xoco.

I've had him 3 days now, and he sits on command, comes to my hand on command, waits for me to go through doors first, walks on a leash (slowly, he's a slow moving puppy), he's mostly housebroken, and he's finally acclimated to grass. Now I need to teach him his name. He will not be a hearing assistance dog, he shows absolutely no aptitude for that.

In three weeks, he should know all the basic commands, and then it will simply be reinforcing them until he wouldn't think of doing anthing else.

But Xoco hates him almost as much as she hates my youngest son.

All knowledge is worth having.

by Noddy on Sun Apr 15, 2012 at 07:16:41 PM PDT

•  I'm such a terrible person (6+ / 0-)

I immediately thought of someone he could work out his issues on...

we are working on nipping issues
        :-)
      •  What breed of dog is Hector, Noody? n/t (2+ / 0-)
        Noddy, mikeconwell

"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell." ~ Edward Abby

by SaraBeth on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 03:39:29 AM PDT

•  Wait what? (1+ / 0-)
        mikeconwell

Xoco is brain damaged?  Is she really or just as they say a little derpy.  (I have an orange cat that well just isnt that bright...wouldn't trade him for the world!)

not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

by Lilith on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:15:24 AM PDT

•  She's really brain-damaged (3+ / 0-)
          Lilith, mikeconwell, ladyjames

She had hydrocephalus as a puppy and it crushed part of her brain.  She has no short term memory and therefore is afraid of new places and new situations - this is why she's a stay-at-home dog and handles all the sound alerts when we are home. If it weren't for her brain damage, she'd have been an outstanding hearing assistance dog.  With it, she's still a very good one, just not a public one.

She is very smart, and very clever as long as you take into account her limitations. It takes about 3 months for something to enter and stay in her long term memory, so it takes that long for her to become familiar with a new place or a new person.  Until she remembers the place or person, she stresses out a lot.

Muscle memory is faster, so I can teach her behavior patterns and tricks that puzzle her for a while (why did I just sit?), and then her long term memory kicks in and she's "Oh, right, that word means this will happen" and then she slows down as she thinks about how and why she is responding to a command. Once she processes both the command and response, she speeds back up again.

Training her has been a real learning experience for both of us.

All knowledge is worth having.

by Noddy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:39:44 AM PDT

•  Aww I did not know that about (3+ / 0-)
            Noddy, mikeconwell, ladyjames

Xoco.  If you've said that in a previous diary please forgive my ignorance. She's a lucky little girl to be a part of your family.

Oh and btw, I think the markings on puppy #7 are very handsome.  He's going to be a very striking guy when he gets older.

not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

by Lilith on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:44:35 AM PDT

•  He has vertical stripes on his legs (2+ / 0-)
              mikeconwell, ladyjames

like he's wearing striped stockings, and then flecked tiger stripes down his ribs.  His tiny ears and broad muzzle are dark with racing stripes streaking back from the muzzle to his neck, so he'll look like some kind of fancy NASCAR racing dog.

Pity the stripes all lie - he's a moseying kind of dog. Kind of a slow amble, and if he could talk, he'd have an exaggerated slow Southern drawl, real slow like. There is nothing fast or racy about Hector.

But he is a good puppy and learns relatively quickly.

All knowledge is worth having.

by Noddy on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 07:55:44 AM PDT

•  He doesn't have to be fast (2+ / 0-)
                mikeconwell, ladyjames

just a little clever, and a little intimidating if and when the need arises.

I'm so glad he's found you.  I'm not a very religious girl, but I believe that when it comes to companions especially good ones...they seem to find us.

not all those who wander are lost - J.R.R. Tolkien

by Lilith on Mon Apr 16, 2012 at 08:09:33 AM PDT

•  thank you. (2+ / 0-)
      BlackSheep1, SaraBeth

I feel better knowing that. But I hope she keeps her eyes open anyway.