View Diary: AP Reports on Christian Right Child Sex Abuse Scandal (115 comments)

•  It's so appropriate that their organization is (22+ / 0-)

named VOM which just begs you to add an IT to the end of that because that's what this story makes me feel like doing.  There is nothing more sick and disgusting than a grown man taking advantage of a young girl or boy.  And yet how often do we see this stuff get swept under the carpet?  Look at the Catholic Church.  They get incredibly hostile if you even have the audacity to bring it up.  They don't want to fix it.......they just want everyone to stop talking about it.

The woman with the maroon hair had fallen to her knees and was asking the sky, “What I done wrong, God? Tell me, Lord. I been good.” “You’re kneeling on Rex’s grave!” Ignatius shouted.

by gracielove on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 04:48:54 AM PDT

•  And if the stories are true, as recently (2+ / 0-)
      gracielove, Tamifah

As the past 200 years, it has been condoned on a conscious level.

Cats are better than therapy, and I'm a therapist.

by Smoh on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 05:40:39 AM PDT

•  This is the sin of choosing (5+ / 0-)

what is easy over what is right. Think about it. Here is a man you know. You might consider him a friend. He may have come to your July 4th cookout. He may have done a skit in the church talent show. He is a respected man in the community. He might even be a priest. Then, one day, you find out that he also molests little kids. Confronting this person will be scary, it will be disruptive, it will cause a scandal. It will cause pain. The consequences are far-reaching. Yes, the right thing would be to confront this man and to call the law in on him, and damn the consequences.

The easy thing would be to pretend you don't know anything, and secretly hope someone else will have the courage to deal with it.

Once again, we face the banality of evil.

"YOPP!" --Horton Hears a Who

by Reepicheep on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 10:12:13 AM PDT

•  Is that the usual scenario? (2+ / 0-)
        Reepicheep, Tamifah

I can see that if a man is known to be an abuser by his wife (and any other kids) that they might not say anything because they are themselves in fear.

However, I am 110% sure that if I found out that one of my neighbors was abusing their kids (in any fashion) I'd be all over them like white on rice. I have to think that virtually everybody who is a parent (and not themselves a molester) is going to take this same approach, unless they have some serious problems of their own.

Of course, I wouldn't have believed the Penn State scandal if you'd written it as fiction, so I may just be confused.

•  "I cant call the cops. He's been my friend for 30 (1+ / 0-)
        Reepicheep

years. But you do it. Please. Right now. Before I leave. Please."

(The above was probably snark, for the snark challenged) (The below was actually said by George W Bush in a press conference) I'm kind of stalling for time here...They told me what to say. George W Bush, 03-21-2006 10:00 EST Press Conference

by Tamifah on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 02:32:42 PM PDT

•  They are not the only ones, gracielove - my own (5+ / 0-)

family wanted to stop talking about it.

You can hear my interview here.

I don't think it's been "condoned" smoh (comment below) as much as it has been ignored.

Sweep it under the carpet - never speak of it again - not in my family!  Denial is one of the reasons child sexual abuse continues.  There's no way he or she could do that -

Not him, not her - not my grandfather

It is easier to look away than to look at.  It is easier to close our eyes and hope it just goes away than to stand and say STOP! NO MORE!! NEVER AGAIN!!!

Tree Climbers is doing just that - and we invite all of you to join us in our battle.

"...I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul" Invictus - William Ernest Henley Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by Roxine on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 10:19:16 AM PDT

•  I am so so sorry (4+ / 0-)
        2thanks, Cassandra Waites, Roxine, Tamifah

that you had to go through that.  I cannot even imagine.  Many hugs.

by gracielove on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 01:12:27 PM PDT

•  and to add (3+ / 0-)
          2thanks, SwedishJewfish, Roxine

I believe that I may have been touched inappropriately as a young girl while I was asleep.  I also have several male relatives that are the kind of people you could imagine doing horrible things like that.  I am very sensitive to this issue.  I have total belief in what you say and how you feel and my heart is right there with you.

by gracielove on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 01:20:00 PM PDT

•  do you have any suggestions for a guy who (2+ / 0-)
        libnewsie, SwedishJewfish

was not a victim of any sexual abuse but went through a constant grinding non-stop torrent of emotional and mental devaluation?

Hearing about how gays go to hell, etc, and growing up gay?

Still kinda fucks me up sometimes and I've been away from them for 20 years now.

by Tamifah on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 02:34:11 PM PDT

•  Oh man, I hear you (2+ / 0-)
          libnewsie, SwedishJewfish

Personally, I think it's awesome that you're gay.  I love gay people, always have.  That is a tough one because it's the repetition that gets you.  It gets in your head and you get trapped thinking that it must be true.

I see a therapist and have for a while now and I feel so much better.  She lets me talk about whatever I want and then she gives me her thoughts and talking points for me to think about when I leave.  It's tremendously helpful.

Please think about seeing someone for this.  You deserve to feel great about your life and be able to go and do all you want without having that hang around your neck weighing you down.  Also, remember that those who read the bible all the time are clinging to something to believe in because they are scared.

You are stronger than you know.  Hugs to you.

by gracielove on Tue Apr 24, 2012 at 09:00:27 PM PDT

•  Join Tree Climbers! (0+ / 0-)

We are a forum for all kinds of abuse survivors-including mental/emotional abuse which sounds like what you lived through.

You must work-we all must work-for a world that is worthy of its children. - Pablo Casals. Please donate to TREE Climbers, our 501(c)(3).

by SwedishJewfish on Wed Apr 25, 2012 at 09:42:06 AM PDT