View Diary: "You can't park there!!" (109 comments)

•  Challenge these permts (1+ / 0-)
    third Party please

My niece has a significant disability, therefore her father has a handicap parking permit.  He and I do many things together and we never, ever put that permit on the mirror when his daughter is not with us.

I do challenge people and police departments regarding handicap parking permits because of my niece, she and her father need to park in handicap zones when she is along.

I go to a gym five days a week at Penn State.  Many days a Nissan Titan truck (sits high)  with Florida plates pulls up, a male puts a handicap permit on his mirror, he gets out, goes into REC Hall, works out for nearly an hour and does many different exercises.

This guy IS NOT HANDICAPPED!  I once asked why he parks in a handicap spot to which he responded that he has a disability.  After watching this some more I contacted the campus parking office and they brushed off my concern to which I said they should on occasion monitor people such as this guy.
    This guy and campus officials piss me off, this guy is abusing the system.  He probably has a permit issued to his parents.

•  You don't know this (that the guy is "NOT (27+ / 0-)

HANDICAPPED!"). All handicaps aren't visible, which is kind of the point of the diary. He could have a respiratory disorder that keeps him from walking long distances but which isn't exacerbated by moderate non-continuous exercise. There could be MANY reasons he legitimately has a placard.

This is a concern for me because I'm currently in a rehab facility for prosthetic training. I lost my left foot in January. I will have a prosthesis, but I will also have a disabled placard. The prosthesis won't always be visible under my pantleg and I've already been told by my PT that my gait is so close to normal that if he didn't know he wouldn't suspect. I expect to be challenged quite a bit as I use the placard while I'm building up endurance (a prosthetic takes more energy to walk on than a natural leg).

The entire point of the diary was "Just because YOU can't see a disability doesn't mean one isn't there."

The last time the Republicans were this radical, they were working to elect former slaves to Congress. What a difference a century and a half makes!

by jayjaybear on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 04:41:13 AM PDT

•  My husband and I often chuckle about a couple (6+ / 0-)

who park in the handicapped space at the local outdoor
        skating rink. They could skate rings around most of the
        people there (including us!).

But now you have me thinking. It could be good therapy for
        either one to skate.

Anyway, it never occurred to us to report them.

"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" — Isaac Asimov

by wintergreen8694 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 06:20:28 AM PDT

•  ha, in nyc the standard for (4+ / 0-)
          Alexandra Lynch, Wee Mama, goobop, DvCM

a permit is an inability to use public transportation, well i use a park and ride where people park in handicapped spaces to park near the subway entrance, an elevated subway entrance, pisses me off everyday, i can't figure out how a person can be ok to walk up three flights of stairs and then take a 3o min. subway ride but not be able to walk the extra 500 or so feet to the station.

Solvent Green is Grandma

by mad cow on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 07:17:31 AM PDT

•  I guarantee you (6+ / 0-)

that if my husband or I did those three flights of stairs, any decrease in further walking we had to do would be like a blessing from God.

He has COPD, and would have to get his breath back on each landing.

I have fibromyalgia, and three flights of stairs would drain me badly.

We both look perfectly normal.

When you come to find how essential the comfort of a well-kept home is to the bodily strength and good conditions, to a sound mind and spirit, and useful days, you will reverence the good housekeeper as I do above artist or poet, beauty or genius.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 07:28:40 AM PDT

•  Probably would be good therapy - low impact, (3+ / 0-)
          Ice Blue, Cali Scribe, DvCM

improves mobility and strength. The ice dancers I knew had lovely bodies (not always svelte) and several had taken it up when they developed health issues and faced their need for exercise.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 07:40:31 AM PDT

•  My cousin has MS (3+ / 0-)
        worldlotus, DvCM, BusyinCA

In the early stages, she had many days when she looked perfectly normal, and she could still drive. But the thing is, there was no predicting when her legs would just go out and cripple her. in general, it was taxing to her energy levels, even when she was walking ok. She parked in handicapped spots, and woe be to anyone who challenged her! (yeah, thinking about it now, maybe it was dangerous for her ro be driving if her legs might go out, but her doctors ok'd it, and nobody wants to give up their independence...)

She has been in a chair for several years now, cannot walk at all.

MS is really unpredictable; it's a cruel disease. Some people go down fast; some can seem normal most of the time for years, with attacks coming and going. There's a lot of variation.

48forEastAfrica - Donate to Oxfam If you can't feed a hundred people, then just feed one. - Mother Teresa

by wasatch on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 10:25:00 AM PDT

•  My father had MS, it is a cruel disease. (6+ / 0-)

He never lost his sense of humor, or any other mental faculty.

One of his observations was worth sharing. People often told him he 'looked good'. As you well know, MS has no obvious physical presentation, at least when at rest. His comment was that the same thing was often said at funerals. Quote my father "How good can he/she look, they're dead". I still feel a bit guilty laughing about that, but it's true.

Another one of his quotes was people remarking 'You look good!'. He confided to me that while he might 'look good', he felt like $#!t. Dad was loved and is still missed, he had such an eye for people. And a rather pithy way with words.

•  Ever thought of this? (2+ / 0-)
      marigold, DvCM

He may have rectal problems, caused by the insertion of large, blunt objects.

IOW, he may be a total asshole and have his head up his butt!

I have to agree with the complaints. My mother has problems after a broken hip joint which, due to infection and ensuing complications, makes walking very difficult. I have lost count of the number of times that I couldn't park for her (she doesn't like driving, because it hurts to press on the gas pedal), and found that the handicapped parking was being used by vehicles with no permit.

The other day, I noticed a car parked without permit, with the driver sitting inside and smoking outside the post office. My mother went inside to drop off letters. I asked her if there were any handicapped people inside; she didn't see any. Just then, a woman came quickly out, with a large parcel in her hands. The man jumped out of the car, grabbed the parcel, and placed it in the back of the car. They then got into the car with no problems, and drove off.

The best was three weeks ago, when a delivery van stopped across the back of the two handicapped parking spaces at the post office, preventing anyone from parking at all. He was still there when I drove by 10 minutes later.

The best joke was something my nephew posted on his Facebook page: picture of a parking space marked

Disabled
      Mother and Child
      Only
      His comment: "Wow, they're getting specialised these days!"

FOSI: Full Of Shit Information - Both my sister and I are trivia freaks...

by Spoc42 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 05:02:11 AM PDT

•  A coworker once told me that... (10+ / 0-)

as he would walk to the train from the parking lot, he often saw a young woman park in a handicapped spot.

Then, she would take a collapsable bike from her trunk and board the train to the city.

He reported her and never saw her pull that stunt again.

I have a placard because of arthritis. I no longer limp with pain because of medication. I always use the handicapped lot at the train station... regular parking is quite far away.

I have gotten dirty looks from a few old men. I want to ask them, do you think I wear these sister Mary Elephant shoes for style?

Once, I came out of the grocery stor to find a note on my windshield which read, "Yo, gimp where's your cain"

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." ~ Thomas Paine

by third Party please on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 05:08:24 AM PDT

•  If I went to a gym (11+ / 0-)

I'd pull in, hang the placard, walk in carrying gym bag, and walk out again in an hour.  I can also do many different exercises. You won't see me on a treadmill, but I lift weights and do yoga.

Fibro isn't visible, and the braces I wear on my feet and ankles are hidden by my shoes and pants legs. And if I use a shorter stride to hide the limp, I walk perfectly normally.

by Alexandra Lynch on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 07:21:33 AM PDT

•  You don't know for sure (4+ / 0-)
      worldlotus, Cali Scribe, DvCM, Flying Goat

I am permanently handicapped, but I look completely healthy, and will often work out at a gym when in school. However, the exercises I do are all low-impact stuff because my body can't handle the heavy stuff. I often park in the handicapped spot because there are times where a body part will just give out on me, completely at random, and all of a sudden the walk back to my car looks like it's miles away rather than just yards. You don't know for sure that that guy doesn't have some kind of handicap.

Time is of no account with great thoughts, which are as fresh to-day as when they first passed through their authors' minds ages ago. - Samuel Smiles

by moviemeister76 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 at 10:29:00 AM PDT

• Rescued (21)
  • Health Care (21)
  • Barack Obama (20)
  • Republicans (18)
  • International (18)
  • Freddie Gray (17)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site