View Diary: Charlotte Lucas needs our prayers (127 comments)

•  I think (27+ / 0-)

a full recovery would require a miracle at this point.  I'd gladly accept that miracle.  As it is, I'll settle for good pain management so she doesn't have to suffer.

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Sat May 05, 2012 at 05:08:00 AM PDT

•  There's a book you may want to read for comfort (4+ / 0-)

It's by the existentialist feminist Simone de Beauvoir, about the death of her mother, called "A Very Easy Death."  I have a copy in a box somewhere in my garage; if you would like it and can't find it elsewhere I'll try to find it.

Democratic Candidate for California State Senate, District 29, running on an Occupy platform. Also Civic Liaison for Occupy Orange County.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Sat May 05, 2012 at 10:57:43 PM PDT

•  Heh. (4+ / 0-)
        I have a lot of books in my cellar,
        pretty good books,
        books I haven't read,
        and most likely will never read,
        but I have them,
        stashed away.....

My wife is getting a grant,
        and I want to use the money to open a laundromat.

I want to put all my old books
        in the laundromat.

I'll call it the
        Minnesota Street
        Laundromat
        and Library.

•  You're crazier than I am. (2+ / 0-)
          Seneca Doane, bigjacbigjacbigjac

That sounds exactly like something I'd come up with.

by luckylizard on Sun May 06, 2012 at 05:47:03 AM PDT

•  I plan on bringing some of my "political" books (2+ / 0-)
            luckylizard, bigjacbigjacbigjac

into our campaign office as an "honor-based" lending/browsing library for volunteers.  I just like the idea of that.

"I love this goddamn country, and we're going to take it back." -- Saul Alinsky

by Seneca Doane on Sun May 06, 2012 at 09:49:34 AM PDT

•  Now that's an inspired idea. (2+ / 0-)
              bigjacbigjacbigjac, Seneca Doane

It's amazing what people will do for a freebie.  I'm not insinuating that folks won't honor the system, but people will show up for seemingly unrelated  or frivolous reasons.

Church is an example.  Every good Catholic kid was brought up to know that missing Mass on Sunday is a sin, yet many Catholic adults rarely attend.  Two exceptions are Ash Wednesday and Palm Sunday, one of which is not a day of obligation and the other which is not in the same league with Christmas and Easter.  Still, there are people hanging from the rafters on those two days.  A young priest at our parish years ago told me something that makes perfect sense.  People show up when they think they're getting something for nothing.  On AW, they walk out with dirty foreheads and on Palm Sunday they get a fragment of a palm leaf.  These are the only two days a year when they walk out with something tangible, something more than they came in with.  Never mind that they are going to hell for not darkening the doors the other 51 Sundays, they've got their palm.

If you offer a lending library, the word may spread that people can visit your office and come out with something, even if they have to return it later.  Once they're in the door, you can charm them, shake them down for a little cash, whatever.  Heck, if they actually DO return the book, you get a second pass at them.  Inspired thinking...  :-)

by luckylizard on Sun May 06, 2012 at 02:58:39 PM PDT

•  I'll see if I can find it here. (1+ / 0-)
        Seneca Doane

You have other things on your plate right now...

by luckylizard on Sun May 06, 2012 at 05:45:14 AM PDT