View Diary: I don't understand (295 comments)

•  We are the enemy (20+ / 0-)

At the place where I once worked, someone used to play a rightwing radio station.  About a year after September 11, the host and the people calling in were having a fevered discussion about the great threat to America.  It was not Al Qaeda.  During the course of the discussion, which lasted almost an hour, no one mentioned this terrorist organization.  Instead, all the angry words were directed at college professors, liberal elites, and soccer moms. They were the real danger to America, and they were destroying it from within.

This has nothing to do with intelligence, or the lack thereof.  It is hatred, deep and visceral.  And it is a far more powerful motive than any dispassionate consideration of self-interest.

•  Soccer Mom's, I give, is it because soccer is (3+ / 0-)

French?

•  Deconstructing the soccer mom (3+ / 0-)
        treesrock, OhioNatureMom, AnnieR

Many people are taken aback by the inclusion of soccer moms on that list. After all, a soccer mom would presumably be a housewife, which is the role many conservatives think appropriate for women.  And she is not lying on the couch, eating from a box of chocolates, watching the soap operas:  she is actively engaged in raising her children.  So, what is the problem?

The best I can figure, the soccer mom is a threat for the following reasons:  (1) She is female, which means she is more likely to harbor liberal views and vote Democratic.  (2) Being a soccer mom conjures up the image of a pushy woman interfering with the (male) coach’s decision about who should play during the game.  (3) She is probably overprotective of her son, which means that he will never be able to develop into a real man, and that means he is likely to become a liberal Democrat.  And (4), not content to merely raise her own brood, she will want the government to become an extension of herself, a government that will overprotect society as she does her children.

But this is speculation on my part.  If perchance any conservatives are reading this, who probably know better than I why the soccer mom is so despised by the right, I would be pleased to benefit from any insights they can offer.

•  I'm not conservative (2+ / 0-)
          OhioNatureMom, AnnieR

but I have a hunch

girls
          it's because the girls play
          at least in the league my nephews were in

I remember my brother pointing to one
          short, determined-looking young girl and
          telling me "she will hurt you"

wasn't sure if he meant by out-performing at the game
          or by kicking the daylights out of you
          but it sounded vaguely menacing

and funny

I remember laughing to myself at the picture of that young soccer power player all grown up and out of law school, thinking I would really not want to be opposing counsel across the table from her - lol

It is the highest impertinence ... in kings and ministers, to pretend to watch over the economy of private people, ... They are themselves always, and without any exception, the greatest spendthrifts in the society. - Adam Smith

by treesrock on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 06:48:17 AM PDT

•  That deep, visceral hatred inside was once a thing (5+ / 0-)

that people were ashamed to admit, but Reagan with his welfare queens, Bush with Willie Horton, and by Bush II, it was no longer something to be ashamed of, but proclaimed.

And it feels like I'm livin'in the wasteland of the free ~ Iris DeMent, 1996

by MrJersey on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 08:03:05 PM PDT

•  Anti-intellectualism. (5+ / 0-)

All of American politics has come down to the nerds vs. the jocks.

The people who think and question vs. the people who "know" they are right and will tolerate no one questioning it, lest they be forced to think.

Someone else asked on the site tonight "Are Americans really this stupid?" to which I replied "Yes."

"A good president does what's possible and a great president changes what's possible." --sterno

by sk4p on Tue Jun 05, 2012 at 10:12:45 PM PDT

•  Did you not read all the comments about Us & Them? (0+ / 0-)

Why would a liberal want to create a new rule for who Us-and-Them are?  Isn't drawing that division the entirety of the strategy of Right Wing media?

•  So shall we all hug each other ... (1+ / 0-)
          AnnieR

... while the Them -- and denying that a Them exists is just denying reality -- keeps destroying our economy and eroding our rights?

It's possible to pick off individuals of "Them" here and there, win hearts and minds, appeal to people who have genuine compassion, or whose lives have sadly gone to hell and can be shown that there's a direct correlation between voting GOP and destroying their lives, but overall, this is war.  Make no mistake, they think it's war, and when someone considers me their enemy I'm not inclined to disagree.

by sk4p on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 08:00:36 AM PDT

•  the overweening fury of (0+ / 0-)

chickenshits

Back when I dated, it seemed to me I saw a correspondence between a man's standing with other men and his subsequent treatment of women.  Men who had high standing with other men seemed more likely to be gracious to women.  The men who took the most pleasure in being abusive to women and anyone else defenseless often seemed to be the ones that got no respect from other men.

very broad, very flawed generalizations, I realize

just throwing it out there fwiw

by treesrock on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 06:39:50 AM PDT

•  My brother and I were discussing this same (0+ / 0-)

thingi this morning.  It has nothing to do with self-interest.  He swears it's ignorance and hate with a whole lot of ignorance on the side.  That whole group think thing where those who are so inclined don't bother to find out information for themselves and jump on the nearest bandwagon that sounds about right.  It leaves me uneasy.

"They love the founding fathers so much they will destroy everything they created and remake it in Rush Limbaughs image." MinistryofTruth, 9/29/11

by AnnieR on Wed Jun 06, 2012 at 10:35:47 AM PDT