View Diary: Catholic bishops very sad SCOTUS upholds health care for ladies (101 comments)

•  It's on the Catholic U campus. (0+ / 0-)

My theory is it was designed by a group of architects who couldn'ta agree on the style so mangled all of the,  It's truly awful in a kitschy sort of way--my secret amusement was that the mosaic of Jesus had him giving the same Jewish blessing hand position that Nimoy stole for the Vulvan greeting.

"Tattooed tit" came from the Byzantine dome  in bright blue with gilded stars of Davis and a center spire that looks like an erect nipple that's been gilded.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 03:59:14 PM PDT

•  Vulcan, I think you mean. Tho "Vulvan" has (0+ / 0-)

a certain particularly relevant humor to it right now.

I don't remember the Shrine as being ugly, but I was there as a teenager many years ago with a bunch of high school friends from our MD suburban high school, and my taste, at that time (mid 60's) ran to the ornate. with bells.
      as for Jewish blessing hand position -- huh? didn't know there was one and I've been Jewish for 60+ years (because I'm 60+ years old). What have I been missing?

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 04:49:33 PM PDT

•  It's not so bad if you only see it briefly (2+ / 0-)
        wintergreen8694, Tamar

But I had to look at it for 3 1/2 frigging years, and it's an unhappy blend of every style they've built churches in since the  early Middle Ages. Any time I went to class, there it was, blocking the sun (or so it seemed). One of its other nicks was "the pregnant elephant". It was actually built with a large gift shop and cafeteria in the designs.

Yup the "Vulcan" greeting (though is T'Pau, "all of Vulcan in one package" I think "Vulvan" might work too.  One of the things I cherish from graduation was a book of caricatures of my favorite profs , my least fave Cardinal, and that mosaic (JC has pointed Vulcan ears and the idek on his robe).  Catholic school humor is VERY blasphemous; it's how we say sane.

The Shrine didn't force me out of the church but I will admit that the money wasted on it made me think hard about contributing tot he archdiocese....What actually drove me out was the stance on the role of women, birth control, abortion and sexuality (including homosexuality). The nuns did too good a job of teaching me critical thinking skills, and I had two of the best American theologians teaching my classes--both of them now silenced.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 05:14:57 PM PDT

•  was one of them Curry? (0+ / 0-)

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 09:11:48 PM PDT

•  Charles Curran. (0+ / 0-)

The  other was Dan Maguire. And I got to attend a small mass with Hans Kung, the most brilliant mind of the 20th century--with the exception of Teilhard de Chardin.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 09:36:05 PM PDT

•  Curran -- that's right. I read about how they (0+ / 0-)

shut him off. The church decided to exert its authority over Catholic U.  But they couldn't do that to Georgetown U.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 09:38:42 PM PDT

•  Well, CU was originally created to educate nuns (0+ / 0-)

and seminarians to teach in the Catholic school system.  We were surrounded by a dozen seminaries (one of the original songs in the annual Soph show, a book musical, said correctly, "God takes the best/We get the rest...Seminarians...") So they had major interest in making sure the professors toed the Party Line ( we will now have a chorus of Tom Leher's "Vatican Rag")

I ended up posing for a sculpture class at a seminary--fully clothed in leotard and tights, and a good dozen apparently nude statues were produced at both sessions I was paid to pose for.  Got adopted by one or two sems at the Franciscan seminary, and would be carried off to watch Dark Shadows and Star Trek reruns with them and have dinner.  They were fun guys.

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 09:52:04 PM PDT

•  p.s. looked it up and since it's a special (0+ / 0-)

thing among Orthodox Jews and only supposed to be done by Kohanim (hereditary priestly class), it's no wonder I had no idea what it was.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank

by Tamar on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 04:54:22 PM PDT

•  Nimoy is Jewish. (1+ / 0-)
        Tamar

And from Boston.  He mentioned it once in an interview, and I was a huge ST fan,even though I only got to see the first season originally and had to watch it mostly in re-runs .

The last time we mixed religion and politics people got burned at the stake.

by irishwitch on Thu Jun 28, 2012 at 05:16:14 PM PDT

•  Yeah, just read that he saw it when his father (0+ / 0-)

took him to visit an Orthodox Jewish synagogue. So like me, he hadn't seen it before.

We're not perfect, but they're nuts! -- Barney Frank