View Diary: What shaving taught me about capitalism (184 comments)

•  Market motivations: (14+ / 0-)

This is brought up especially in regards to healthcare. Which is interesting, because I know a lot of doctors. My ex was a surgeon and also a researcher. He is strongly in favor of simply extending medicare to everyone and paying for it by eliminating the FICA cap. He always says that he didn't become a doctor to get rich, but to help people. He felt the same way about a very important research project he was involved in during his residency. Big pharma could potentially profit from it, but none of the people involved undertook the project because they were motivated by the market. They did it because they were motivated by science. Sometimes I get the feeling that capitalists--especially capitalist politicians like Romney--are so out of touch because they are motivated by nothing BUT profit and must find a way to justify that. The "capitalism breeds innovation" slogan does the trick.

Yes, sometimes it does breed innovation. Mostly though, it's all about greed.

By the way, I love using a straight razor. Either way I prefer a hogsbristle brush and old-fashioned shaving soap to the canned foam variety. Also, try some old-fashioned Florida Water for a post-shave toning tonic. Some things are just better the old fashioned way. Shaving is one of them.

My last fortune cookie was a The Nephew sockpuppet. equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 01:01:23 PM PDT

•  I use Bay Rum after shave. (2+ / 0-)
      commonmass, greengemini

It's like the barbers used to use. It's inexpensive, not overly aromatic and does the job.

•  I have used bay rum too. (5+ / 0-)

My dad used to use Old Spice after-shave. Florida Water is great, a little floral, and suitable for men but also for women (ladies, try it on your legs after shaving, if you shave them).

Generally I don't use any after shave (cold water works great to close the pores) but when I do, bay rum or Florida Water works great and leaves a subtle and pleasant smell. I used to go to a barber in Houston who would do a straight razor shave the old fashioned way, hot towels and all. That shave would last me three days. In most states, you can no longer get a shave at the barber shop, which is a shame. It is one of the best experiences a gentleman can have, very relaxing and the hot towels feel great, and this is coming from someone who really dislikes having to shave (which is partly why I have worn a goatee most of my adult life).

My last fortune cookie was a The Nephew sockpuppet. equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 02:37:58 PM PDT

•  lol One of the things I actually miss from working (7+ / 0-)

ICU/CCU was shaving the male patients who couldn't manage it on their own. Made them feel pampered in a rotten situation where almost everything else was annoying or painful. A damp face towel for 20 seconds in the microwave was relaxing and hot enough to soften things up for the foam and the cheap safety razors seemed to work just fine, (though admittedly no one was going out dancing or necking after).  ::sigh:: Little things.

Information is abundant, wisdom is scarce. The Druid

by FarWestGirl on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 04:55:35 PM PDT

•  cm, this is really an issue for me in all (4+ / 0-)

the RW crap on what will happen to health care if we let the government do the funding. There is absolutely no plan to turn the government in to the sole provider - true socialism.

Meanwhile the 12+ million health care workers, especially at professional levels, are completely marginalized.

Doctors and nurses cooperating with death panel decisons? Give me a F***ING break. We already spend way more time fighting with the insurance bureaucracy than Medicare for authorizations and against denials - taking away the time for caring for our patients. We appear disinterested and lacking in empathy when it is often due to working under time constraints and not being able to get approval for tests or treatments we know the patient needs.

A large majority of us did not go into these professions to earn big bucks, nurses especially. The small group, mostly high paying specialty surgeries, that doesn't want to settle for less than mega salaries can go to other jobs. There were plenty of pre-med students that didn't get into med school because of altruistic values and less money. Which would not have interfered with them becoming excellent physicians.

by Ginny in CO on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 02:40:35 PM PDT

•  Of course extending Medicare to all would make (5+ / 0-)

the government the sole payer, not provider, but no, there is no plan as yet but eventually I believe we will get there.

Speak out any chance you get. When they talk about "rationing", you're one of the people who can say "hell yes we already have rationing, and it's being done by insurance companies!". Insurance companies, not the ACA or government, is what gets between patients and their health care team. It gets between them at every turn they can.

My last fortune cookie was a The Nephew sockpuppet. equalitymaine.org

by commonmass on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 02:56:37 PM PDT

•  You think we will get to fully socialized ? (3+ / 0-)
          BusyinCA, Justus, commonmass

I can't see that any time soon. It's as big as trying to turn the USPS and public schools private. Now, depending on how much the financial, climate and other disasters collapse our world as we know it, anything is possible.

I've been in this fight since the mid 80's.  I have some choice stories about tests the insurance flaks would not approve. One went all the way to our specialist talking to their doctor who immediately acknowledged the test was appropriate. The clinic specialist then suggested their doc should 'educate your people.'

My rationing response starts with the ins companies vs medicare. Insurance companies ration. Medicare works with all kinds of professional groups, providers, researchers, etc. to establish standards of care based on outcome based evidence. Appropriate care is not rationing, it helps control unnecessary testing and treatment which is often fraud. They are more flexible about appropriate changes because cost is not driving their decision.

Medicare's fault area is DME. I think that can be changed easily, especially when the overall costs goes down.

by Ginny in CO on Mon Jul 16, 2012 at 06:21:21 PM PDT

•  commonmass - there is no cap (3+ / 0-)
      FarWestGirl, Justus, commonmass

on the Medicare part of FICA. Eliminating the SocSec cap to pay for Medicare for all would be very radical and even if someone wanted to do something that had the same effect they would structure it so that SocSec was independent of the funding mechanism for a single payer healthcare plan, and would give it a new name.

"let's talk about that"