View Diary: Lee Malvo: Human Being or Monster (47 comments)

•  There is an article in current Military History... (1+ / 0-)
    Wee Mama

magazine on the Mai Lai massacre by Americans in Viet Nam.  It described the very same state of mind, the dehumanization of the targeted human beings by the soldiers that was described by Malvo.

An entire generation of Japanese and Germans were conditioned to kill large masses of people by means not unlike Malvo's conditioning.  Yes, those Axis troops were our enemies and we slaughtered them.  And Murderers are our enemies our instincts are to slaughter them also.

In this case, Malvo came under the control of his dominating partner when he was a devastated 14 year old.  Perhaps he has to stay in jail, in solitary for the rest of his life?  But it's hard for me to understand what is gained by it.

•  people have lived lives of wisdom and reflection (2+ / 0-)
      arodb, G2geek

in prison. Straitened as the circumstances are, they still allow choices.

Is it true? Is it kind? Is it necessary? . . . and respect the dignity of every human being.

by Wee Mama on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 03:16:17 PM PDT

•  Just read the Three Sieves... (2+ / 0-)
        Wee Mama, G2geek

While it is good for starters, and for children, I would buy two out of three, True, for sure, and then kindness is balanced against "necessary."

There are times, and issues that must be expressed, or I feel I must state them even if to some it will be unkind.  The justification must be that it is necessary, or "important" to state for reasons that I have to justify in what I am expressing.

Buit when a comment is going to hurt someone, I try to take special effort to mitigate the injury.

•  the difference in warfare is... (0+ / 0-)

.... that the opposing forces are alive and running around on the battlefield.  Once they are captured it's improper and illegal to kill them in custody.

"Minus two votes for the Republican" equals "plus one vote for the Democrat." Arithmetic doesn't care about their feelings either!

by G2geek on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 11:41:34 PM PDT

•  Nothing is gained for society. (1+ / 0-)
      mindara

Except a knowledge that this person will not again be loose on the streets.   Sorta like Charles Manson.   Yes, there are differences, but to the dead and their families it's not a compelling distinction..

The longer I live, the clearer I perceive how unmatchable a compliment one pays when he says of a man "he has the courage to utter his convictions." Mark Twain

by Persiflage on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 03:07:53 AM PDT

•  I am a family member of a murder victim (1+ / 0-)
        arodb

and there is a compelling distinction. It does us no good as a society to move toward a system of justice utterly devoid of compassion and the ability to discern the very real differences between a Charles Manson and a Lee Malvo. And there is a direct correlation to be made between the utter lack of compassion in the justice system and the continuation of the death penalty in this country to the utter lack of compassion and empathy for our fellow Americans and the desire of the GOP to completely destroy our social safety net.

As I also commented earlier, I live in Annapolis, MD and lived through those three horrific weeks in October 2002.

"I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word in reality" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

by mindara on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 09:02:19 AM PDT

•  I'm sorry about your family's loss. (1+ / 0-)
          mindara

I should have said there would be no compelling distinction to me.   If you are magnanimous enough to discern a difference in death at the hands of a Lee Malvo versus at the hands of someone else, that's your choice.  I want you to understand I'm saying that in an unchallenging and unjudgemental way.

by Persiflage on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 02:13:23 PM PDT

•  I think that it's very important to look at the (1+ / 0-)
            arodb

motivation and circumstances of every case. And to not do so in the case of Lee Malvo is a mistake because the vital lessons that can be learned from his case go ignored and allow those circumstances to go unchecked in the future. Lee Malvo was only 15 years old when his mother allowed him to come to the US and placed him completely under John Allen Muhammed's control. And I appreciate your point of view, I mean that honestly, I feel that it is enormously important that we have this debate as a society.

by mindara on Mon Oct 01, 2012 at 07:37:07 PM PDT

•  Your views obviously come from a big heart, a (1+ / 0-)
              arodb

heart in some ways larger than my own.  I believe humans have an innate understanding of the difference between right and wrong when it comes to some types of behavior.  Killing, bullying, or torturing someone else for fun, or cruelty to animals, fall into those types of behavior...in my opinion.  When our brain tells us we wouldn't like to have something done to ourself that we are doing to others...or an animal...we know its wrong.  Some people do it anyway, for whatever their reasons might be...if they're caught and have to explain.

So, for me, the punishment ought to fit the crime regardless of "circumstance" whenever the cruelty/death perpetrated on another falls into the "for fun" category.

by Persiflage on Tue Oct 02, 2012 at 05:44:48 AM PDT

• Labor (19)
  • Environment (18)
  • Politics (17)
  • Texas (17)
  • 2016 (16)
  • Media (16)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site