View Diary: "Find two balls, deliver them to Romney": Right-wing radio in despair. (44 comments)

•  asdf (8+ / 0-)
    ...comparing Romney to the biggest GOP disaster of all time, Nixon himself:
    Um - as I recall. Nixon won 2 presidential elections - the second in a blowout.

Just sayin/ :D :D

Sadly, everything Communism said about itself was a lie. Even more sadly,, everything Communism said about Capitalism was the truth.

by GayIthacan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 02:08:12 PM PDT

•  Well yes but... (2+ / 0-)
      historys mysteries, Aunt Pat

... after he won against McGovern, then Nixon resigned in disgrace when people found out what he was really doing as president. That was the disaster for the GOP. Just sayin.

"Government by organized money is just as dangerous as Government by organized mob." - FDR

by itsnotbutter on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 02:17:00 PM PDT

•  asdf (3+ / 0-)
        phillies, Loose Fur, MaikeH

Fair enough - but he was hardly a disaster as a 'candidate' :D :D

Even as a President he was fairly moderate, and approved quite a few excellent bills - and created a few fairly important agencies.

But yes, in the end, he was hardly one would want representing the best ones party had to offer. :D

by GayIthacan on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 02:19:34 PM PDT

•  social security (10+ / 0-)

EPA
          Clean Water
          Clean Air
          SALT
          China
          VA funding

Many people concentrate on China as his crowning achievement. I think not. Between the EPA and SALT, it is a toss up.

We easily forget just how close to mutual destruction the USA and USSR were. SALT changed all that, lowered the tensions, eased a path to more talk, and allowed reality to sneak past self-destructive military egotists who only wanted ever bigger hammers with which to play.

What we call god is merely a living creature with superior technology & understanding. If their fragile egos demand prayer, they lose that superiority.

by agnostic on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 02:52:59 PM PDT

•  Re: the candidate vs. president Nixon: (1+ / 0-)
          agnostic

Yes, he did some good things (eg. the EPA, & China), but his name is still tainted. Let me repeat, this Republican's name is still tained. Don't encourage them in rehabilitating it, like they did successfully w/ Ronald Reagan. You know that these Repubs can bend reality & deny the truth to such an extent that could rehab Nixon, if they set their minds to it. Just look at what they've done to poor Jimmy Carter's name, while Dems just stood by & let them do it.  So, if Repubs want to bash Rmoney by comparing him to Nixon -- I say, stand back and let 'em.

Where have I heard this before? "Let the stench be the stench."

•  much truth in statement, Kemo-Debbie. (2+ / 0-)
            satrap, Tam in CA

But for decades, the growing spinelessness of democrats has been a problem. They made it worse by trying to compete for corporate dollars, even though corporate types were fucking the entire country.

Reagan's post-expiration emergence of his sainthood status has always amazed me.  At first, I thought it was a joke.  Given the multiple ways he fucked up, and how his last four years were a study in senile dementia,  I always feared that those who controlled his last 4 years, were simply laying the groundwork for their own dominence over our political cystern.

Why are so many democrats spineless in the face of lies? Why do so many cave in when faced with unadulterated attacks based on bullshit? Why are so many embarrassed about liberal successes?

Where's the pride? The acknowledgement of huge accomplishments? The bettering of society has always, and will always , be our most honorable goal.

by agnostic on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 05:49:06 PM PDT

•  Nice comment. One thing that (3+ / 0-)
              agnostic, suesue, Loose Fur

gets me about Reagan- and it doesn't bother me that much since we have Clinton and Obama- is how it always comes back to Ronnie these days.

I'm 46 years old, so I was in 8th grade when Reagan was first elected.  I remember very little of that period. AND I'M A HUGELY OVEREDUCATED POLITICO.  There's no way the average voter under 50, and nobody under 40, remembers much about St. Ronnie.   When I hear Paul Ryan wax poorly about Carter or Reagan, I just shake my head.  Paul Ryan has absolutely no earthly idea about any detail in Reagan's presidency.  None.

Reagan is a far away God object: immortal, omnipresent, omnipotent,  unknowable, unforgettable.

From Neocon to sane- thanks to Obama- and Kos.

by satrap on Sun Sep 30, 2012 at 05:55:12 PM PDT

•  I'm 55 and I remember. (1+ / 0-)

I remember:
                Astronomical interest rates
                Massive home foreclosures
                Reagan Ranches (communities of people living under bridges)
                Steel mills closing
                Unemployment
                Union busting (starting with the air traffic controllers)

I'm always surprised when people reminisce about the "Good ole Reagan days."

I'm really glad you don't buy into the revisionist history of the Reagan years.

•  that's my solar orbits, as well. (0+ / 0-)

weird times, under reagan