View Diary: Problems with trying to identify subspecies of Red Tailed Hawks (105 comments)

•  The beautiful thing about Darwinian (6+ / 0-)

Evolution is that if you understand in believe it then you should expect to have difficulty separating subspecies and species.  The expectation should be that there will be everything from completely separate species to completely interbreeding populations with all manner of steps in between.

The is one of the beautiful aspects of the theory.  We should not expect to see immutable and separate species. In that way, one can understand that the creationists' arguments that difficulty separating sub species and species is in fact a feature of the theory and not a bug.  A so called creator of species would not have left such glorious confusion!

As my father used to say,"We have the best government money can buy."

by BPARTR on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 04:44:36 PM PST

•  Well I most definitely believe in Darwin's theory (4+ / 0-)

of evolution. Anyone that doesn't must be walking around with blinders on. But that belief shouldn't stop one  from taking a closer look into different subspecies in the hopes of finding discernible characteristics to help in IDing them which is what I was trying to do.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:30:46 PM PST

•  nor stop one from saying OMG or just feelin it.. (4+ / 0-)

I weas sitting in some woods staring one day and a large Red Tail drifted slowly over, stared at me, and dropped a feather that landed at my feet. I still have it..

That was somehow very exciting...but later in the day, just after dark I spotted an injured Red Tail sleeping concealed in brush next to the busy freeway, in the just about dark.... and I was driving. Why? I don't know..

I had to hike a couple of miles around to get thru the fence, and walk in the drainage ditch and weeds, but didn't get caught or killed, and arrived intact next to her.

She was sleeping and huge. I dropped a bag over her but she got a giant wing and leg out....the wing (the other was broken) I carefully folded back into the bag, the leg however I had to leave attached to my forearm, as her talons wrapped completely around it!

She was calm, and I carried her another two miles along this busy Cal US 101 drainage ditch to an off ramp and back a mile to where the Wildlife rescue volunteer met me, and we carefully detached her from my arm....at about midnight in a field in Camarillo.

I couldn't make myself find out if she was going to be ok or not...ain't that strong.

But I just know the other dropping the feather on me did something...

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:28:40 AM PST

•  What a great story. Kudos to you for rescuing that (3+ / 0-)
          KenBee, Polly Syllabic, ladybug53

hawk. Not many would have done so much to help her. You're a good man. Thanks so much for sharing that.

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:34:56 AM PST

•  I can't imagine walking two miles with the (3+ / 0-)
            Polly Syllabic, ladybug53, KenBee

talons of Redtail wrapped around your arm. Many years ago a GHO had me by the arm for only a few minutes and I can still vividly remember how much that hurt. Two miles.......wow!

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail

by burnt out on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 05:11:11 AM PST

•  yeah, she started to crush and backed off.... (2+ / 0-)
              burnt out, Polly Syllabic

I think she was weak from hunger since she could have been there for a few days. A broken something in her shoulder or wing and a little blood in one eye..she could have had brain problems as well....is why I didn't follow up and ask.

But she was huge, I'm tall, and with her on my forearm, her head was at eye height, fortunately hers was covered.

This machine kills Fascists.

by KenBee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:57:57 PM PST

•  didn't mean to imply that you don't believe (2+ / 0-)
        burnt out, Polly Syllabic

in Darwinian evolution.  I was just commenting that the difficulty in discerning the differences between subspecies is a feature of the theory, not a bug.  It is a glorious confusion.

As my father used to say,"We have the best government money can buy."

by BPARTR on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 08:08:46 AM PST

•  I didn't really think you did but wasn't quite (1+ / 0-)
          Polly Syllabic

sure. It's hard to tell the intention of comments sometimes so I try to be open about peoples meanings. I know my own comments are taken wrong at times too. It happens, thanks. And I agree with glorious confusion too!

Just give me some truth. John Lennon--- OWS------Too Big To Fail