View Diary: IAN: Good Morning, November 4, 2012! (24 comments)

•  Honestly, is there any other (5+ / 0-)
    chimene, broths, FloridaSNMOM, weck, old wobbly

choice for your ISP?  One can understand that things go wrong with tech stuff, but leaving you hanging with unkept appointments is ridiculous!  I regularly swear at my ISP, but mine seems like a Cadillac plan compared to yours...

I'm beginning another month of playing for all three Masses at my church.  The early organist hasn't quit, but she has phoned in the month of November.  I keep thinking I'll get used to this and be able to sleep on Saturday night.  So far, that's not working very well.  :-(

-7.62, -7.28 "Hold fast to dreams, for if dreams die, life is a broken winged bird that cannot fly." -Langston Hughes

by luckylizard on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 01:25:57 AM PDT

•  Nope. (3+ / 0-)
      weck, luckylizard, old wobbly

The cable company came in and locked up an exclusive monopoly with the little town where I live back when internet first became available here (15 years ago). I'm not sure for how long they locked it up, I just know that they are still the only game in town for internet access and cable TV.  I don't mind the cable TV monopoly since I hardy watch TV, but the rare times I have internet access issues, it takes forever to get them out here.

1 block east or west and I'd be in another town with wider internet choices. Imagine a town built like a barbell, two large circles connected by a narrow bar - I live in the bar, which is a whopping 2 blocks wide and 9 blocks long.

All knowledge is worth having. Check out OctopodiCon to support steampunk learning and fun. Also, on DKos, check out the Itzl Alert Network.

by Noddy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 07:54:06 AM PST

•  Oh my! You're in a bind... (3+ / 0-)
        old wobbly, weck, Noddy

There are very few choices where I live, but it's not quite a monopoly.  Our metro area is a bunch of contiguous cities and towns which used to have widely disparate cable companies.  Now, cable is pretty much down to one company, but we can still get DSL through the various phone companies in each town.

My biggest complaint is that the infrastructure in my neighborhood is so old.  If it's windy or rainy or too hot or too cold, my internet will slow down to a crawl or simply stop.  This area is old and not rich, so they really don't invest in updating the cables or fiber or whatever we have here.  I pay the same amount as those whose service is much more reliable and that pi$$es me off no end.  It's like a chain grocery store that charges more for things in a poorer neighborhood than a suburban one.  Grrrrr...

Good luck with your quest!

by luckylizard on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 10:02:17 AM PST

•  Old and unreliable (1+ / 0-)
          luckylizard

that as certainly true. My wiring and modem were 15 years old and apparently the ISP upgraded their systems so my modem couldn't always talk to them anymore, and the wires were also old and worn from 15 years of harsh Oklahoma weather.

Thing is - they knew how old my equipment was.  Did they ever offer to upgrade it?  No, they kept trying to patch it even after they knew the old modem wouldn't run on their protocols any more.

Why?  Who knows?  They'll be charging me for the new line and modem on the next bill. They aren't losing money over this, just making one customer who will flee them as soon as either other ISps are allowed into town or I move.

by Noddy on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 08:02:45 PM PST

•  Time was, there was such a thing (1+ / 0-)
            Noddy

as service and attention to customers.  That is all long gone, especially when a company is given a lock on customers via a monopoly.  All that malarkey about lack of regulation making more competition is just nuts, especially when localities buy into the monopoly thing.

I also understand the OK strain on the wires, etc.  Iowa isn't that much kinder to such things with 100s in the summer and -20s in the winter.  :-)

by luckylizard on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 11:00:54 PM PST

•  Good news; perseverance finally pays off!! (1+ / 0-)
        Noddy

I expect we will be seeing many more graphics in diaries to come!!  Yea!!  Itzl-pics!!

Please donate to Okiciyap food pantry. . If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

by weck on Sun Nov 04, 2012 at 01:37:37 PM PST