View Diary: Dems, Don't tell me to 'Remember 2010 and GOTV' when 2014 rolls around (82 comments)

•  Are you throwing in the towel Troubadour? (7+ / 0-)

If we expect to get what we want in policy we have to tell our government quite loudly what we want. Apply maximum pressure. Timidity will not help us in 14. Good policy will help us. We have elections and win elections in order to govern. We do not govern to win elections.

No ore excuses. No more putting up with DLC neoliberalism. We now know we can win without Wall Street. We now know we can win in the era of Citizens United. The Republicans are on the run. Or holed up in bunkers. As Charlie Parker said "Now is the Time"

•  Agreed. (3+ / 0-)
      sunbro, dennis1958, Wary

Just saying, the point is to squeeze as much out of the upcoming term as possible, not to win the 2014 elections.  If we do win, all the better, but we have to be realistic about the motivations of midterm voters and the vast, continuing financial advantages of the GOP.  All we proved with this election is that a superb Democratic President with vast grassroots support can defeat wall-to-wall right-wing propaganda.  That's not a recipe for robust, ongoing progress, nor will it be until it's enough for a mediocre Democrat to achieve the same results.

"They fear this man. They know he will see farther than they, and he will bind them with ancient logics." -The stoner guy in The Cabin in the Woods

by Troubadour on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 01:26:38 PM PST

•  You are most correct (1+ / 0-)
        Larsstephens

I watched Ralph Reed today spout off the 1o's of  millions religious voters he rallied in this election AND he also reminded Stan Greenberg Dem pollster he KNOWS that Dems will NOT come out in 2014 NO MATTER WHAT because the youth voters, the African American voters and others are notorious for NOT voting in non Presidential mid term elections.

This diary totally fails to mention the fact that hundreds of bills were passed by a Dem House only to be obstructed and to die in the Dem controlled Senate. Cap and Trade, Dream act to name a couple off top of my head.

Also of most importance long term, well into the future is a SCOTUS appointment in second term. The Dems keeping even slight control of the Senate is of utmost importance to prevent a long term annihilation of any progressiveness for a lifetime of many posting here now.  SIX extreme conservative SCOTUS appointments would totally annihilate  what left of the New Deal, etc.

I do think we can hold onto the Senate at least in 2014.

Re-Elect President Barack Obama & RECALL GOP 2012

by Wary on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 05:03:06 PM PST

•  Thats another thing to be mad about (2+ / 0-)
          devis1, Sunspots

we had the Senate, just as today. We didn't change the fillibuster rules then, but NOW we think we will?
          Woulda been helpful back then eh?
          No I didn't directly mention those bills. I considered them covered under 'hard job' and 'do better'.
          Is their job to get things done or make excuses?

Again. I'm on our side, I want us to win in 2014. I have a clue how important it is.
          But if you want to say that our side stayed home because they always do, according to that puke Reed. I'll have to respectfully disagree. I think we lost votes over the health care debate and the mandate and a feeling the Dems didn't have the back bone to fight for us.
          If you can prove me mistaken, I'll stand corrected and thank you for enlightening me.

•  I say we put pressiue on Democrats (4+ / 0-)
      elijah311, Cedwyn, Quicklund, yella dawg

AND Republicans!!  Let the Rethugs feel our ire!!!!!

They don't get a free pass!!!!  Fuck the GOP!!!!

-4.75, -5.33 Cheney 10/05/04: "I have not suggested there is a connection between Iraq and 9/11."

by sunbro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 01:31:04 PM PST

•  We just kicked repubathug ass (1+ / 0-)
        sunbro

they don't get it but they felt our ire

•  We've got to keep it up. (2+ / 0-)
          dennis1958, Illinois IRV

The American People must apply pressure on BOTH sides right NOW.  This is no time to let up on the pressure.  If the Republicans heard it from us every day in thousands of communications, they would have a clear message that we want them to put up or shut up.  The same old song and dance by the disingenuous Republicans will not work anymore if we get in their faces 24/7.

by sunbro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:22:19 PM PST

•  totally agree (2+ / 0-)
            sunbro, svboston

During the last health care debate I called Dems and Repubathugs castigating them to give us all health care as good as they get or give up theirs.
            My cellphone is charged and loaded with cash. the calls begin again monday. Different message this time though.
            For the Dems, don't dar betray the base.
            For the repubathugs work with us or I'll move to your district to vote against you or something. Gotta figure out what they might actually hear, if there IS such a thing.

•  We should emulate the late Patrick Swayze's (1+ / 0-)
              dennis1958

character in the movie "Ghost" when communicating with the Republican politicians.  Make the Rethugs hear our complaints In Their Beds At Night!!!

WE WILL NOT BACK DOWN!!!  THE RETHUGS MUST DELIVER FOR THE AMERICAN PEOPLE!!!  THEY MUST COMPROMISE WITH US, OR BE THROWN OUT!!!

by sunbro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:44:59 PM PST

•  Here is the way we need to treat Eric Cantor, (1+ / 0-)
              dennis1958

Paul Ryan, John Boehner, and Mitch McConnell:

by sunbro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 02:46:52 PM PST

•  Smashmouth football. (5+ / 0-)

When you block for your quarterback and your running backs, GUESS WHAT, you move the ball down the field.

It's time to show some support and get into some Republican politicians faces.  No more fucking around.

No more apologizing for the GOP.  Let's unite and beat them.

by sunbro on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 01:37:58 PM PST