View Diary: Dems, Don't tell me to 'Remember 2010 and GOTV' when 2014 rolls around (82 comments)

•  hr for inappropriate (0+ / 0-)

and personal venom.

The state races are more consequential for our daily lives than the presidential race. GOTV

by 2laneIA on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 06:28:48 PM PST

•  I took it in a George Carlin kinda way (1+ / 0-)
      2laneIA

So I thought I was being wished good things!
      in fact I was thinking of responding 'thank you and .... well just thank you'.
      I figure everyone has a bad day now and then, and I'm a big boy and politics certainly can bring emotional responses and well, I hold no grudge.
      I'm gonna ask you to consider removing the HR.
      I knew my diary may not be universally well received (boy was I right!) and this poster appears to me to have a rich history here and well I'd like to just let it go this time.

•  He has a rich history of saying things like this. (0+ / 0-)

But the HR was for what he said this time.  If I wanted to read comments like that I would hang out at HuffPo or Redstate.

However, I will remove the HR at your request since it's your diary.

by 2laneIA on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 06:55:50 PM PST

•  yes, i have a rich rec diary history (0+ / 0-)

in which i say what i think

and what i think about a punk telling Democrats on Daily Kos that if they do more of what just won them the election that he won't vote for them is that he can take his IMPOTENT THREAT NOT TO VOTE and go fuck himself with it

but thank goodness he has YOU to stand with him and threaten Democrats

thank goodness!

so long and thanks for all the fish

by Anton Bursch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 08:57:43 PM PST

•  grow up. nt (0+ / 0-)

by 2laneIA on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 09:00:58 PM PST

•  grow a sense of loyalty (0+ / 0-)

and stop defending someone who's anti Obamacare on the same week that we just won an election defending it

so long and thanks for all the fish

by Anton Bursch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 09:12:39 PM PST

•  Anti-obamacare would be a gross misrepresentation (1+ / 0-)
                2laneIA

of my position. Being upset that I was hoping for AT LEAST a debate on single payer and being unhappy about helping people like McGuire amass fortunes.
                Is NOT the same thing as being anti-obamacare

•  i guess that when you wrote this: (0+ / 0-)

Count yourself lucky I didn't vote against you or just, didn't vote at all in 2010. I was pretty unhappy with you folks.
                   I mean really, you have the House, the Senate AND the Presidency, and we end up with a law saying people MUST support the lifestyle of health care executive leeches like Bill McGuire?

that you were anti Obamacare.  you are saying that you are not, so, i believe you.

however

i REALLY wish that you and other like you who keep characterizing the majorities we had for a few months after the 2008 election as if we had progressive majorities.  we did not.  we are a big tent party with people from all 50 states and many of those states are NOT as progressive as others.  and that means that the elected representatives from that state SHOULD NOT be either.

i really don't understand why that is so hard to understand and accept.  it's one thing to expect that other states don't prevent your state from progress (i am from WA and we just legalized recreational pot) but it's another thing to demand that other states take part in the progress in your state.  we are actually 50 states and we have local governments.  i don't want what Bloomberg did in NYC to be forced on my city or my state.  it works for them, good, but leave us the fuck alone.

i care about the people in this country.  i am grateful for the progress made on health care and i am HAPPY to pay extra money to some fuck face millionaire if that is what it takes right now to save lives.  fuck the money they get.  they can enjoy it while it last, cause it won't last all that long.  each step of progress leads to another as long as we don't weaken ourselves by infighting.  which is what happened in 2010.  WE scared off the new voters and minority voters from voting mid term because we shit on Obama and Democrats for 2 years straight instead of having a view of the long game and supporting them so we kept our VERY NEW AND FRAGILE AND UNTESTED coalition together.  i hope we've learned that goddamn lesson.

anyway.  as i said in another comment.  i am probably a little too intense, because i'm still not transitioned from fighting mode for this election.  so, sorry about the fucks.

so long and thanks for all the fish

by Anton Bursch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 10:27:30 PM PST

•  you make some good points here (1+ / 0-)
                    Anton Bursch

I don't agree with all your conclusions but,
                    I have been very upset with Baucus and your words have made me question whether I've placed to much of that anger on Dems in general.

I'm a 'taxes buy civilization' guy. It makes me feel good that my taxes are helping others.

I too am thankful for the good in Obamacare, and theres ALOT of good there. compared to where we were.
                    But, I feel soo strongly that health insurance companies are a leech on the funding of a basic human right in our modern society that it angers me greatly to pay for their CEO compensation. Especially given that their quest for profits lead them to deny coverage and thereby care, of people who are suffering. I find that appalling and outrageous. I'm a universal care guy so no, I'm not totally happy with Obamacare, not by a long shot.

Don't write no more Anton I gotta go to sleep man! lol
                    cya next time

•  Loyalty does not require rudeness (0+ / 0-)

which the President who can do no wrong in your eyes might be the first to agree with.

When you make comments in a diary you are in someone else's house, i.e., the diarist.  Inviting him to perform an anatomically impossible act is HR worthy, and you should be ashamed of yourself.  Obviously you aren't, and that is no shock to me, given your rich history of intemperate remarks. I usually ignore them because you learn nothing and change nothing.

What is loyalty? How should we measure or value it?  Is it important to be loyal to a political party, no matter what?  What if the party is divided?  Which faction should you be loyal to?  Does loyalty to a candidate you helped to elect trump all, no matter what the candidate does as an elected official?  I would argue that if the Democrats had listened to the base of the party in 2010 they would have launched a full-throated attack on the Republicans for wanting to cut entitlements, and we would not have suffered losses attributable in part to voters believing the Republican propaganda that Dems cut Medicare in the ACA.

Alas, the Dems were preparing real cuts themselves (Simpson-Bowles) and could not do that, plus they were running like scared bunnies from the ACA.  They almost got entitlement cuts in the "Grand Bargain" of 2011 that crashed.  The President and the Democratic 5th Column that expresses itself through front groups like Third Way are about to take another run at it, which is abysmally stupid politics and policy, but never mind. Dennis1958 is reasonable to think that it is past time for the base to push back, and hard.  So far, a lot of liberal groups are, but give them time and they'll fold like lawn chairs because that's what they do. It is left to ordinary citizens to defend themselves if no one else will.

by 2laneIA on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:42:46 AM PST

•  anatomically impossible ?? (1+ / 0-)
                  2laneIA

oh ye of little faith.
                  I think I could do it!
                  Depending of course on what the definition of 'vote' is.
                  If vote is a ballot then,.. well  there's a way.
                  If vote is a concept then it could be said that I've been screwing myself for years, just not as throughly as I coulda.

all kidding aside.
                  2010 scared me. Minnesota narrowly avoided the fate of states like WI and PA. What happens next in Washington is critically important to me. As a cancer patient on RSDI, Medicare and Medicaid what happens next could very well have profound real life and death consequences for me. And for others.
                  I keep hearing an echo in my mind from the republican town halls, 'let em die!' they yelled. And they were talking about me; and people like me.
                  This diary wasn't offered for glory, my ego is secure.
                  The issues we face are daunting, critically important and to me, very, very personal.

In closing, I would ask everyone here, singling out no one, EVERYONE, to be kind to each other here.
                  We're all on the same side.

•  Sorry to hear about your illness. (1+ / 0-)
                    dennis1958

These issues are going to be personal to all of us sooner or later.  For you, it's sooner. For me, it comes in a few years hence when I am eligible for Social Security and Medicare, but it is also here now, because Social Security is what lets my father live with dignity.

by 2laneIA on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 08:08:49 AM PST

•  dude (1+ / 0-)
            2laneIA

ok, I'll give ya that a 53 year old guy could be described as a punk and I fully believe you're entitled to your opinion and thats it your right to 'call em like you see em'
            I'm like that alot myself (I 'call em like I see em' too)

I've been fighting what I call the nazi right since Reagan.
            Voting in EVERY election, voting for our side even if I did have to 'pinch my nostrils shut' sometimes. Admittedly I have voted a 3rd party 3 times on certain offices over those years but only when there was a certainty that the Dem's would win those races and/or my vote would no no negative effect on the Dem candidate.
            It's not likely that I won't continue to vote Dem but to say it's an impotent threat is simply wrong. It most definately IS within the realm of possible realities that the Dems could piss me off enough to not vote for them.
            That''s one of the reasons I wrote the diary.

Anton maybe I stated things poorly or maybe you misunderstand. I'm not saying I won't vote if they do what won them 2012. I'm saying Dems please don't do what caused us our loses in 2010.

Anyway, I'm sorry I upset but not sorry I wrote the diary.
            It represents how I feel and resulted in a lively and informative debate. Learning how others think and seeing data I wasn't aware of is helpful to me
            For that I thank all who joined the discussion.

•  i congratulate you on being an ideological saint (0+ / 0-)

but the Democratic party just won a major electoral fight that had we lost would have turned this country backwards for decades

YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME!!!!!

but back to YOU and YOUR demands for what WE do for the next two years.

who the FUCK do you think YOU are?

you talk about US like we are the lesser of two evils.  why the FUCK do you think we are going to do what you want when you talk to us that way?

oh, do you think that you speak for other voters?

NEWS FLASH: the election this week says that you don't.

so long and thanks for all the fish

by Anton Bursch on Sat Nov 10, 2012 at 09:09:25 PM PST

•  I think I'm a citizen and voter (0+ / 0-)

I think I have a right to express my views.
          Anton I'm starting to like you more and more, your fiesty!
          I like that in people.

If you look thru these comments you find many how implore me to vote Dem because the other guys are soo bad. Even if I don't like what the Dems do.
          Thats pretty much the definition of lesser of two evils.

No I don't speak for others but I know voters who've expressed TO ME that they felt the same.

in any case this will have to be my goodnight to you.
          I type too slow and I'm too old and I just can't keep up with you.

Peace love joy Anton, I wish you the best