View Diary: I know you think praying at government events is normal, but it's really not. (302 comments)

•  So now all religion is a mental disorder? (0+ / 0-)

Because I had a comment HRed to piece for making that same point.

So, according to dailykos, accusainh any other religion of being a mental disorder, HRable.   Accusing Mormonism of being a mental disorder: just great!

You don't see a problem with that?

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:04:21 AM PST

•  That's not what I, or the article says. (1+ / 0-)
      Skipbidder

However, dismissing the empirical just because you don't like it is a fool's errand.

The study in that article isn't the only one either.

My point is that you have Hide Rated a legitimate point of contention because you don't like that the point of view even exists.  That's not how we do it.

Picture a bright blue ball just spinnin' spinnin' free. It's dizzy with possibility.

by lockewasright on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:09:32 AM PST

•  No I didn't (2+ / 0-)
        guppymoo, MichaelNY

Just because one can detect religiosity, does not make it a mental defect.   That is my point.   Calling it a defect if bigotry.   Mental difference? Sure

Then suggesting that members of a particular religion only should have this label, when the phenomenon occurs also in other religions is inconsistent.   The study you cite is not limited to Mormons.  Therefore is you want to label Mormons as mentally defective then there is no basis for not labeling ALL religious people mentally defective.

However when I point out that thi would necessarily be the results I get 6 HRs.  If you beleive you shouldn't HR legitimate points of disagreement you have to update me to offset.

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:14:40 AM PST

•  I am under no obligation to uprate you (2+ / 0-)
          Skipbidder, BYw

for having done the wrong thing just because others have also done the wrong thing.  Instead, I've done the rational thing and not showed agreement with either wrong thing.

The diary does not say that only mormons suffer a mental disorder associated with religious belief any more than saying that people who eat too much butter and bacon can suffer cardiac problems.  It's not a statement that butter and bacon are the only way to get a cardiac issue.  It's also not accurate to say that everyone who eats those things will develop a cardiac problem.  There is, however, an empirical association.

The fact is that there is data to show the shrinking hippocampus over time in believers and that there is also data to show an association between frontal lobe epilepsy and religious hallucination too.

by lockewasright on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:25:22 AM PST

•  Well that's one approach (1+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY

To take the view that ALL religions are mental disorders.   In which case you shouldn't HR a comment you interpreted as having said that (granted that those who HRed me cannot distinguish be tween a declarative statement and a rhetorical question. (See one has a question mark at the end).  But no you aren't under any obligation

And as a former scientist I can tell you a single study doesn't tell you a lot, but that's another story

This has been a golden age for confirmation bias. - David Brooks

by Mindful Nature on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:38:22 AM PST

•  I have not suggested to ALL religions are (0+ / 0-)

mental disorders.  I have suggested that some believers, regardless of sect, are believers as a result of a mental disorder.  The rest are believers as a result of either a reason disorder or child abuse in the form of indoctrination when they were too young to defend themselves.

by lockewasright on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 06:39:43 PM PST