View Diary: The Morning F Bomb (214 comments)

•  Mark Sumner zings Russ Douthat (7+ / 0-)

In todays Abbreviated Pundit Roundup, Douthat bloviates about what the Republican party needs:

What the party really needs, much more than a better identity-politics pitch, is an economic message that would appeal across demographic lines — reaching both downscale white voters turned off by Romney’s Bain Capital background and upwardly mobile Latino voters who don’t relate to the current G.O.P. fixation on upper-bracket tax cuts.
    To which Mark replies:
    Wait, I think I know where you can find a message just like that. It's called the Democratic Party.
    And he is pleasantly surprised to see that Maureen Dowd actually wrote someting other than "snarky soap opera":
    Team Romney has every reason to be shellshocked. Its candidate, after all, resoundingly won the election of the country he was wooing.

Mitt Romney is the president of white male America.

...

In its delusional death spiral, the white male patriarchy was so hard core, so redolent of country clubs and Cadillacs, it made little effort not to alienate women. The election had the largest gender gap in the history of the Gallup poll, with Obama winning the vote of single women by 36 percentage points.

That is the Maureen Dowd I used to read regularly.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:01:06 PM PST

•  David Horsey, in the LA Times..... (7+ / 0-)
      The people have spoken. President Obama has won a chance to move beyond the stunted progress of his first term and, perhaps, become a historic president. On the losing side, the Republican Party remains shut out of the White House and has blown a chance to take over the U.S. Senate, largely because it catered to the narrow concerns of tea party zealots and social conservatives who imagined themselves as the only authentic Americans but who are, in fact, way out of step with most of the people in this country
      Obama's victory is a harsh lesson for Republicans

Click back to the main page for several more excellent cartoons.  I loved opening the Seattle PI every morning and  seeing his cartoons, but the greedy Seattle Times prevailed and the on line only Seattle PI is basically all adds now, with very little original reporting. I enjoy the political commentary and analysis Horsey adds to his cartoons now that he's with the LA Times.

Love is the lasting legacy of our lives

by princesspat on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:15:33 PM PST

•  Glen and I went to see Bill McKibben last night, (3+ / 0-)
      princesspat, JanF, nomandates

an excellent presentation... Van Jones is one of the speakers and he joined the presentation by video and noted a fact that Romney and his white male constituents are most likely not aware of: that most individuals in the world are not white, they are black, brown etc.... and they are poor. Romney and his conservative friends are not aware of their insular existence and that really sucks for them. They are truly missing out.

"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass... it is about learning to dance in the rain." ~ Vivanne Grenne

by remembrance on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 09:05:32 PM PST

•  Good point. (2+ / 0-)
        nomandates, remembrance

We may have been one of the last nations on the planet to have our leaders chosen by a white male majority (and their Stepford Wives). How fitting that George W. Bush (worst president in history) will mark the end of that era. I saw a photo of him from his last year in office (talking to Dick Cheney) and it gave me the creeps. Our country should be governed by those who come from the people, like a mixed race community organizer raised by a single mother, for example.

Van Jones was there by video??? I can't wait until I see the program in Madison. I am trying to get bleeding heart to go with me (she has a singing thing to do that night that she is going to try to get out of). We are meeting for lunch on Thursday.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 03:46:29 AM PST

•  It is a wonderful event (1+ / 0-)
          JanF

so I hope bleeding heart can join you. Bill was accessible for questions, comments and pics following the presentation and I was sandwiched in between him and my hubby.

A friend posted a picture of Bush on FB saying something about missing the face of conservatism... even this face. I read somewhere we have the smallest gov't since the late 60s and I think if she were to be really honest, like the Chinese, she'd just say she wants a white president.

Glen is still hogging my computer, I have been given a few minutes here for my pleasure.

by remembrance on Mon Nov 12, 2012 at 09:08:11 PM PST

•  I hope he gets his computer fixed soon. (1+ / 0-)
            remembrance

We miss seeing you around. Of course, we would miss him also ... it is quite a dilemma!

One of the saddest images I saw from this campaign season was a guy at a Romney-Ryan rally wearing an R-R t-shirt saying "Let's put the white back in the White House". That is really the loss they are mourning and it is possible that they saw Romney as the last chance to get that back. Problem is that the world they want is no longer an option: like the idea of unlimited fossil fuels and not paying a price for burning it ... gone forever. (Of course, that never existed, we just told ourselves that it did).

Not to say we won't have white men in the White House ever again ... but they won't get there because it is their birthright but because they have a vision for the future that includes all Americans.

Words have meaning. Our words will reflect what is in our souls.

by JanF on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 03:08:07 AM PST