View Diary: Daily Kos Elections Weekly Open Thread: Saturday Edition (521 comments)

•  I fundamentally disagree with you on this (3+ / 0-)
    Inoljt, andgarden, Zack from the SFV

Puerto Rico is a part of the United States. Migration from one part of the United States to another is not an immigration issue. Many Hawaiians consider themselves another nationality, too. When Hawaii was admitted as the 50th state, was it as part of an agenda on immigration? I don't think so, and I don't see why that's any more relevant this time, either.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:51:48 AM PST

•  Did I ever say that Puerto Rico (0+ / 0-)

Isn't a part of the United States? The thing is that it is an issue precisely because Puerto Ricans say that it is an issue.

22 Burkean Post Modern Gay Democrat; NM-2 (Raised), TX-20 (B.A. & M.A. in Political Science), TX-17 (Home); Intern w/ Gallego for Congress; Office Personnel at CCA.

by wwmiv on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:59:13 AM PST

•  If the reason to admit Puerto Rico as a state (3+ / 0-)
        andgarden, askew, Zack from the SFV

is to prevent movement of Puerto Ricans to the mainland, that's not a good reason. The reason should be because they are Americans who want to be a state. Conflating that in any way with immigration is a mistake, and might be politically disadvantageous to Puerto Rico's admission to the Union.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:18:56 AM PST

•  No no no (2+ / 0-)
          LordMike, SaoMagnifico

You misunderstand completely.

I do not want to prevent them from coming to the mainland. I think that statehood is a multifaceted issue and will help in many respects. Among them is that it will bring development to the island in a positive way that will help them maintain their population in a GOOD way so that they can maintain their cultural identity. If people want to move out, fine! They can! If they want to move in, fine! They can! It's their choice.

But the massive decline in population is not healthy for that region nor for their cultural identity.

by wwmiv on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:35:38 AM PST

•  In other words (0+ / 0-)

Statehood is an immigration issue insofar as it will bring development to the island which will make people with the means to leave want to stay instead of leave. Which is a good thing for the island.

by wwmiv on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:40:48 AM PST

•  Again (0+ / 0-)

I don't think that whether people move to or from Puerto Rico should or will be an issue in regard to statehood. Maybe it is for some Puerto Ricans, but it won't be to the Congress.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:53:38 AM PST

•  Again (0+ / 0-)

You misunderstand me.

I'm not saying that this is something that is an issue (in the sense of the word that you're using) in statehood. By which it is meant that it could cause problems in gaining statehood, or that it will prevent statehood, or any other factor of that nature.

I'm meaning it in the sense that the emigration from Puerto Rico is an argument FOR statehood because it will help (but not solve) to restore a healthy population balance to the island.

by wwmiv on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:06:51 AM PST

•  You think I don't understand you (3+ / 0-)

but I do. I just disagree that anything about migration is an argument for statehood that Congress will or even should be interested in.

To me, the only arguments are about whether a clear majority of Puerto Ricans want Puerto Rico to become a state, and whether it would be a viable state. There will be debate about the co-official status of the Spanish language, but that should be a settled issue, in view of the longtime membership of New Mexico in the Union.

I think the referendum is a legitimate statement of Puerto Rican popular opinion, so I support Puerto Rican statehood.

Formerly Pan on Swing State Project

by MichaelNY on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:37:15 AM PST

•  Actually I disagree w/you Michael in that... (7+ / 0-)

...I think Congress, if it debates statehood, likely will consider and openly debate that very thing among a million other things.

There's no way a statehood discussion happens in our real-life politics without ad naseum discussions of what impact it would have on both Puerto Rico and the rest of the United States.

I look at it very narrowly, politically, in terms of more Democratic House seats and two more Democratic Senators, which are reasons I think that eventually would assert themselves in making it very difficult to get GOP support for statehood.

But economic arguments will be big in the discussion and probably drown out political arguments.  And I think getting Congress to approve statehood will be an uphill climb, not unlike how Marylanders, Democrats and Republicans alike, really don't want the District of Columbia absorbed back into Maryland.

One thing about Puerto Rico, in a lot of ways it's the developing world, not like Western society at all.  Things like continuous electrical power service and other public services are spotty and uneven to a degree that would shock and enrage us if we had to suffer it in any of the 50 states or D.C.  This is going to get raised and discussed as an obstacle, making people fear Puerto Rico somehow would drag us down as much as statehood would help them or us.

This is not a reflection of my own views, but where I think the national conversation is likely to go.

I really hope we make Puerto Rico a state.  That Hawaii is a state does, I think, make it easier, since it shows we can culturally integrate a culturally and geographically very different place.

44, male, Indian-American, married and proud father of a girl and 2 boys, Democrat, VA-10

by DCCyclone on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 08:12:21 AM PST

•  Completely agreed (2+ / 0-)
            MichaelNY, wwmiv

Puerto Rico is suffering for being locked in a second-class status. The people recognize that on the island; they voted to change their status, and if you accept that first result, the second result is for statehood.

Keeper of the DKE glossary. Priceless: worth a lot; not for sale.

by SaoMagnifico on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 11:12:49 AM PST

• Economy (19)
  • Rescued (18)
  • Science (16)
  • 2016 (15)
  • Politics (15)
  • Barack Obama (14)
  • Click here for the mobile view of the site