View Diary: The First Shots Fired in the Coming GOP Civil War? (283 comments)

•  why are we getting two difficult (6+ / 0-)

elections in a row for our side?

Does that mean 2016 is gonna be easy?

Looks like Graham, Chambliss and Inhofe are the most vulnerable.

"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous..........got me?" - Don Van Vliet

by AlyoshaKaramazov on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 01:56:28 PM PST

•  difficult for Ds (5+ / 0-)
      eyeswideopen, Miggles, Yamara, AoT, Ray Radlein

just means there's more Democratic senators have come to the end of their terms than Republicans. That is, there's more Ds than Rs in that cohort. I hope this is a difficulty we have for many many cycles.

•  2016 looks like a bonanza for the Senate Dems... (9+ / 0-)

...because the GOPers elected in 2010 will have to defend their seats in a Presidential election year. For those elected in blue states (Toomey, Kirk, Johnson, etc.), that's pretty much an electoral death sentence.

2014, look for the Dems to be aided by more teabagger primary challenges. Graham is at the top of their list, followed by Collins (I expect her to make like her buddy Snowe and quit), Chambliss and Lamar Alexander. Oh and McConnell will likely get targeted too.

Why Inhofe? I imagine he might retire, but why would the teabaggers hate him? Does he take home too much pork for their liking?

•  I'd expect McConnell to win against a (5+ / 0-)
        cazcee, mconvente, 417els, chmood, ranton

Tea Party challenger, but I could be way wrong about that.  What do we think about Ashley Judd taking him on in the general election?  I like it.  How about you?

The good we secure for ourselves is precarious and uncertain, is floating in mid-air, until it is secured for all of us and incorporated into our common life. Jane Addams

by Alice Olson on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 02:56:21 PM PST

•  I don't know what it would take................... (3+ / 0-)

to unseat Yertle; but Ashley has three problems: she is a woman; she is a political novice or lightweight, and, despite her love of Kentucky, she can easily be painted as a left-wing, Hollywood, elitist Liburl.

It is a sad reflection on the electorate in Kentucky that her strongest asset may be that she is a strident University of Kentucky Basketball fan.  Yertle attended the University of Louisville, their arch-rival. McConnell did get his law degree from U of K but does not "bleed blue" to the extent that Judd does.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation--HDT

by cazcee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:58:05 PM PST

•  Nah (4+ / 0-)
            RUNDOWN, blueoasis, NotGeorgeWill, AoT

Ashley is a celebrity but she is one of their own.  A home-grown celebrity.  Her sister and mother are beloved as well and will for darn sure be out there campaigning for her.

The Judds are country through and through and they can talk to their own.  Honestly, I think she'd win in a walk.

Wish Tim McGraw would throw his hat in the ring pretty soon as well.  That's another southern red state we could put in our corner.

Your flag decal won't get you into heaven anymore. John Prine -8.00,-5.79

by Miss Blue on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:14:58 PM PST

•  Ashley has infuriated the coal companies. (2+ / 0-)
              cazcee, NotGeorgeWill

I'd be shocked if she can mount a reasonable challenge to Creepy Mitch (although he is, yes, a University of Louisville fan). But I would love to see it.  She has my vote.  But then I have never voted for McConnell.

•  I have never voted for Yertle............. (4+ / 0-)
                exotrip, NotGeorgeWill, CookyMonzta, mkor7

either.  If Ms. Judd does decide to make the run; she will certainly have my support, meager contributions and vote.

I never liked McConnell but when he took credit for bringing the Toyota Assembly Plant to Georgetown, KY;  my uncaring antipathy turned to outright, intense loathing. I hope I outlive him for no other reason than to piss on his grave before I die.

I had a small part, among of scores of people within Governor Martha Layne Collins (D) administration's long, hard, intensive effort to win that plant in Frankfort; his announcement in DC. The night before the official announcement in Georgetown is just another example of Rethug treachery and immorality.  He is scum.

The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation--HDT

by cazcee on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 07:02:53 PM PST

•  I like the idea. (6+ / 0-)
          cazcee, ranton, corwin, greengemini, mkor7, J M F

When I first heard it mentioned, my reaction was...whaaat, where did that come from?  Upon reflection, should she decide to do it, I think she'd be a great candidate to unseat Mitch.

She's extremely bright. While new to running for office, she would have a lot of resources and guidance available in a well organized on-the-ground Democratic party operation.

She is much more than a lover of Kentucky and a UK basketball fan (as mentioned in another comment below)...she is a daughter of Kentucky with deep roots in the state.  She has been an activist and politically involved for a long time.  Her family is steeped in the hardships of being among Kentucky's poorest.

As for her being a woman?  Yes.  She is a woman.  But this is becoming less and less a liability as we've just seen in this election.  Also, she has an asset...another female...in her mother, Naomi Judd.  Through her husband, Ashley is involved in auto racing...IndyCar and NASCAR.

I live in an adjacent state and would immediately jump into her campaign were she to decide to run.

One thing a Judd candidacy would NOT have to worry about would be battling "The Mighty Charisma of Mitch".

"Evil is a lack of empathy, a total incapacity to feel with their fellow man." - Capt. Gilbert,Psychiatrist, at the end of Nuremberg trials.

by 417els on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 05:14:42 PM PST

•  A lot of GA reps (4+ / 0-)

may jump in against Chambliss, especially if he shows any more willingness to talk to Democrats.  Just being a part of the Gang of Six has cost him already.

Tom Price is the name talked about most.  But Georgia is not Indiana, or Missouri.  We are deep red down here.

"Our society will not be great until every young mind is set free" - Lyndon Johnson

by Michael Vykun on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 03:16:08 PM PST

•  I have a special despise for Chambliss (8+ / 0-)

who is everything I've ever hated and disliked and distrusted about Southern white men...and speaking as a Southern white man, I think that's saying something.

I REALLY hope we can get some serious help down here kicking his cracker ass across the street to the other curb....

This year, I'm doing something I've never done before - I'm voting a straight Democratic ticket

by chmood on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 04:49:32 PM PST

•  Inhofe has got to G-O. Priority #1. (4+ / 0-)

Sending him packing off to his beloved private sector would be the best thing we can do to deal with the climate crisis.

Inhofe losing big would send the message that climate denialism is no longer acceptable, and we are going to deal with this.

We got the future back.

by G2geek on Sun Nov 11, 2012 at 06:48:49 PM PST

•  Elections are by definition never easy (0+ / 0-)

If it looked easy, you left too much on the table.

For example, President Obama won convincingly in all of the swing states except Florida (a squeaker) and North Carolina (which he lost). We moved ahead in the Senate and cut our deficit in the House, but we didn't take the House. Gay marriage and pot won some victories, but what about the states where we couldn't even try? What about the states still with Republican Governors and Legislatures? I could go on and on.

America—We built that!