View Diary: Group hug! We win by working together (160 comments)

•  Well, okay, that has been (3+ / 0-)
    StellaRay, Blicero, ancblu

traveling around, and I guess I am just a humorless ol queen, but that is every gay stereotype in the entire world jammed into two and a half minutes.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 04:15:42 PM PST

•  Count me as humorless too. (2+ / 0-)
      Kevvboy, ancblu

I couldn't watch this video, as "video not found" is what I got for trying.

But I don't need to watch it, I get it all from the title.  I get angry with "liberals" who still think gay jokes are fine, but wouldn't dream of telling an N joke.

I get angry with "liberals" who think it's still ok to do the lisp and the weak wrist thing in casual conversation.

I get angry with "liberals" who would sooner eat poop than get caught adhering to the rancid racist jokes of yore, but have no problem laughing at gay stereotypes.  It's STILL all over our culture.

White straight people don't know what it's like to be diminished to a stereotype.

"A typical vice of American politics is the avoidance of saying anything real on real issues." Theodore Roosevelt.

by StellaRay on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 04:38:04 PM PST

•  Oh it's all about (1+ / 0-)
        A Citizen

how gay guys would make better husbands than straight guys cause they are all buff and listen to the girl no matter what idiotic stuff she is talking about and they love to go to the gym and like that.  Hardee har har.  Didn't "Gay Eye For the Straight Guy" go off about three years ago cause it was old and tired then?

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 04:42:17 PM PST

•  Exactly. (3+ / 0-)
          Kevvboy, The Marti, ancblu

A stereo type is a stereo type, no matter how "favorably" presented.

Because the truth is, no straight woman wants to be married to a gay guy, and no gay guy wants to be married to a straight woman. Same goes for all other variations on the theme.

We want to be where we are comfortable, and where we can be who we are.  Where we can love as we chose, without giggles or outrage.

My gay loved ones are every bit the challenge as mates that my straight loved ones are.  To deny them this is just another form of bigotry. Love and commitment are a steep slope for ALL humans to live up to.

by StellaRay on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 04:53:23 PM PST

•  To me, the video is deliberately using (0+ / 0-)

an over the top idiotic and unbelievable stereotype, and then going with the theme of, 'if you really believed this, then you should still support gay marriage'. But, I can appreciate that stereotypes can be very uncomfortable and I'm sorry I made your day a bit sadder.

Fry, don't be a hero! It's not covered by our health plan!

by elfling on Tue Nov 13, 2012 at 08:41:28 PM PST

•  Problem is, the only people (1+ / 0-)
        ebohlman

who know it is "over the top" are people who don't hold the stereotype.  To anyone else, it would be pure reinforcement.  Thanks for your comment.

Still enjoying my stimulus package.

by Kevvboy on Wed Nov 14, 2012 at 03:30:08 AM PST