View Diary: Harry Reid Lays The Smackdown To Scott Brown (274 comments)

•  you should be concerned (26+ / 0-)

no good Dems to run against Brown and I see him running.

I'm in MA and I don't see anyone beating Brown
    but am not going into it further than post at bottom of page

so many who do not live here do not believe me and say stuff like you said.

He will very likely run HE HAS NO SHAME and if he runs many in MA will be happy to give him the seat

that's not to say Kerry shouldn't take a post

but do know, all Dems, that it MEANS we are LIKELY giving up a Senate seat!

•  Agree, one exception (15+ / 0-)

I think if Patrick decided to run for Senate he could beat Brown pretty comfortably.

Ever get the feeling you've been cheated?

by ActivistGuy on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:12:28 AM PST

•  Ed Markey (13+ / 0-)

isn't a good Dem? I think he's pretty great, personally.

Mike Capuano isn't a good Dem?

Warren won by 8% here, and I have to tell you, while liberals love her, she is not endearing to a lot of people, on a personal, visceral level. Her movements are stilted and awkward - understand, it doesn't matter to me, as I've been a huge fan of hers since 2003, but she is NOT a natural and easy, "slick" politician.

She did kick Scott's butt in a couple of debates however.

I think Ed Markey would have beaten Brown by the same margin if not more. I think Patrick would. There is even talk of the new Kennedy kid leaping up, but that seems problematic to me - give him a few years.

The bigger problem will be turn-out, of course. Brown only beat Coakley because turnout in the cities was way down. It is my fervent hope that those who back the President and the Democrats come to understand that you just can't vote every four years and think the world will be all right...

•  You can add Jim McGovern to that list, (7+ / 0-)

although I don't know if he wants to go for it.  He's from Worcester County where Brown was strong.  You're right, though, about turnout in the industrial cities going down in a special election.

Check out these numbers for Warren:

Chelsea 76%
        Lynn  65%
        New Bedford 70%
        Fall River 68%
        Brockton 68%
        Springfield 74%
        Holyoke 70%
        A low turnout in these cities, as happened in the 2010 special, means not good news for ANY Democrat.  And I'm not even including Boston (74%) because Boston has some yuppie and college student sections.

"Hope, not despair, is the fuel for action." - William Manchester

by brae70 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 05:39:11 AM PST

•  I would put Markey near the bottom (4+ / 0-)

Mainly because of his support of the Iraq war and the supplemental funding of it, and his vote for the original PAT RIOT Act.  But McGovern, Capuano, Tierney, those would all be good choices.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 06:18:13 AM PST

•  Markey is my rep but McGovern would have my vote (8+ / 0-)

I like Ed Markey a lot, he's my rep, altho the votes you cite gave me heartburn to say the least. McGovern is a super classy, smart guy with actualy foreign policy experience -- and he's from a part of the state that would be a better base from which to run statewide, imo. He's definitely the standout in the state's delegation.

All that said, Deval Patrick would be my absolute #1 choice, way above McGovern. Love my Governor!! Plus he's run twice statewide, and once in a dire year, and won. He could run in a special or off year and kill it. McGovern would be tougher, imo -- unless we Mass Dems get off our behinds.

Honestly, I think getting off our backsides might not be the toughest sell bc I don't know about other active Dems here, but thanks to his hideous campaign against Elizabeth Warren, I outright loathe Scott Brown and the thought of him going back to the Senate makes me physically ILL. So I'm glad Harry Reid agrees with me. So yeah bring it on Scottie -- we will kick your ass TWICE back to Wrentham.

"The country we carry in our hearts is waiting." ~ Bruce Springsteen

by abs0628 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 07:05:30 AM PST

•  Markey's quite corporate, unlike Warren. (1+ / 0-)
          politicalceci
        •  Tierney barely held his seat (3+ / 0-)
          tle, ChurchofBruce, MichaelNY

he's got baggage, fairly or not.

•  Fair enough. (0+ / 0-)

I know nothing about Tierney, except his votes in the House.  And since I don't live in MA, I won't be doing anything to encourage any particular individual to run - although I may very well support one of the candidates in the primary (as well as the general).  But I would have to do some actual research before doing that.

I am become Man, the destroyer of worlds

by tle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 02:00:01 PM PST

•  Ed who? Mike who? I live in MA. (2+ / 0-)
        hooper, politicalceci

These people are little known to the west of Boston.

We gave the Romney campaign hundreds of millions of dollars and all we got was this stupid t-shirt! - The Koch Brothers.

by kitebro on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 07:19:59 AM PST

•  I don't know many reps either (0+ / 0-)

I know nothing about Markey and McGovern, the folks about know they by reputation and perhaps think most people do.  I know Mike Capuano because he ran against Coakley in the Dem primary and lost...then she lost against Brown. (Yep Brown beat the person that beat him...doesn't bode well.). I'd say many MA voters might remember him because of his run for this Senate seat two years ago.

This might be important because people on Kos are more informed politically than the average MA voter. Reps are not well known/don't have name recognition. The people talking above about all those Reps? they must know way more than the average voter.

•  Mike Capuano (2+ / 0-)
        wdrath, politicalceci

I love Mike, and think he would be a fantastic senator, but I don't think he could compete with Brown's fund raising ability. I think it would be really tough to beat Brown.

Maybe have Joe Kennedy III run? I know that he doesn't have that much experience and he just won Barney Frank's seat, but he's a Kennedy in MA. He has instant name recognition and he won't have a problem raising money.

•  He's 32. I think MA voters won't go for the name (0+ / 0-)

as it would just be so blatant. I think most people would want him to pay his dues a bit. Heck I think he probably thinks that too.

He seems to be a thoughtful, intelligent, caring person (Peace Corps and all). May have a very bright future, which is a great thing for MA.

•  I didn't say or mean to imply they weren't (0+ / 0-)

"Good Dems"

I meant a Dem good to run against Brown for Senate seat and Win! I did not say he isn't great as a person or in his current role. Entirely on who can win. I admit not knowing Markey hardly at all. Up thread we discussed Capuano and Patrick.

I saw Capuano during run against Coakley in fact I voted for him.
        He seemed rough around the edges. In my mind Warren won because she is a super star...did amazing in all but first debate. Who she was --smart and sincere--trumped the negative smears.
        Capuano apparently is close to Pelosi. He'll be labeled as a partisan hack -am concerned it'll stick.

I do know that part of who she is pushes some peoples buttons. I think men more than woman who may judge a woman candidate more harshly. This is born out by HUGE gender gap in this election. (wasnt' it more than 10 pts?)

he is not as smart nor as wise as Warren. I just dont' see him beating Brown at this time in this climate.

This was a long conversation. I already talked about Patrick and agree he'd win in a heartbeat if he wanted it.

I hope you are right and me wrong.

•  I think Markey would have a decent chance, but I (1+ / 0-)
      politicalceci

do not want to see him run. Kerry has to stay four more years, then he can do want he wants. I've seen and heard enough of Brown Clown. I'm glad Senator Reid took him down. After Obamas sentence about working with Brown I was gnashing my teeth.

2012-2016 President Obama, Vice President Biden, Senator Warren. For a LIFETIME, federal judges. Get the filibuster changed. Steamroll. http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/submit-questions-and-comments

by CuriousBoston on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 07:12:48 AM PST