View Diary: Midday open thread (69 comments)

•  My daughter is really excited for Xmas this year (7+ / 0-)

There are some kids (6th and 7th graders) who are convinced the world is going to end on Dec 21st. (Personally I think that sort of lunacy must come from the parents and it's so extreme I'd call it child abuse) But she's got three bets of $10, $10, and $20 with them that world won't end. So she's going to pocket $40 on the 22nd. Hopefully those kids realize how stupid their parents are. If so that'd be the best deal of their lives.

To me progress is not so much a goal as it is a process and I believe it will not follow a straight course. Remember, the drops of water that form the river may not take the shortest path but they will still reach the ocean.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:23:41 PM PST

•  Crap: I put in for vacation beginning 12.28.12 (4+ / 0-)

I'm not going to get to enjoy it?

How's bigfoot?

The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men.

by xxdr zombiexx on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:26:30 PM PST

•  I thought it was 12/12/12 (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

that the world was supposed to end.

•  Nope (2+ / 0-)
        Cali Scribe, lina

The Mayans were big on the solstice. It's 12/21/12. And it's bogus even for the Mayans since the real "end" of the current cycle would be about 2600 years from now. I think it's 4773 or there about when the end of 20th cycle hits. This is merely the 13th of 20 cycles in the "long count" and the Mayans didn't see 13 as unlucky. It's just another number to them.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:32:27 PM PST

•  I'm thinking stupid isn't limited to the parents (4+ / 0-)

how do those kids plan to collect if they win?

I don't know what's been trickling down, but it hasn't been pleasant---N. Pelosi

by Russycle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:43:31 PM PST

•  They don't think they'll have to pay (1+ / 0-)
        happymisanthropy

They're convinced it's pointless. Sort of a "tails I lose, heads I lose" scenario. They're refusing to sign up for 2nd trimester activities, etc. This is a sickness that won't easily be cured. And, I maintain, it's a sickness created by the parents.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:47:46 PM PST

•  Wait. (1+ / 0-)
      happymisanthropy

If she's wrong, how would the other kids collect?

We get what we want - or what we fail to refuse. - Muhammad Yunus

by nightsweat on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:56:17 PM PST

•  See above (2+ / 0-)
        happymisanthropy, Shishapangma

The other kids don't care. They've given up on the possibility of a future. How's that for sick parenting?

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 12:58:41 PM PST

•  Similar to those kids (0+ / 0-)

brought up by parents who've bought into all the predictions about The Rapture happening on XX date. Remember Harold Camping who predicted the Rapture would occur on May 21, 2011? What happened to all those folks who woke up on May 22 and found out they were still here? (More important, what happened when all the credit card bills they ran up came due?)

"If we ever needed to vote we sure do need to vote now" -- Rev. William Barber, NAACP

by Cali Scribe on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:11:08 PM PST

•  Definitely a similar form of mental illness (4+ / 0-)

The 1840's saw "The Great Disappointment" of the Millerites. There's a website with all the random ass "prophecies" of the end times. From Nostradamus to hundreds of more recently charlatans bilking folks. Predicting the end of the world is, well, prophet-able.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:17:10 PM PST

•  Heck, Jesus' footprints (1+ / 0-)
              ontheleftcoast

were still fresh in the ground after the Ascension and people were predicting that he was coming back right around the corner. In retrospect, the assorted Caesars were probably a lot closer to Antichrist territory for early Christians than is Obama.

by Cali Scribe on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:20:31 PM PST

•  He did say "I'll be back" (0+ / 0-)

And during their lifetime. At first it was "a generation" then it was "soon" then it was "eventually". Of course now it's "any day". For a group that supposedly takes the Bible literally they have a funny way of showing it.

by ontheleftcoast on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:24:30 PM PST

•  Just realized that the 21st (0+ / 0-)

is after a new friend's birthday -- I've already made him an e-card but wonder if I could tie in the non-event as well. (The card I made him simply says, "Happy Birthday to someone whose age is still lower than his golf score" -- he's an avid golfer though admits that he's not very good.)

by Cali Scribe on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 01:18:10 PM PST