View Diary: TN-04: DesJarlais admitted under oath to at least six relationships, including two patients (31 comments)

•  I don't think he should resign. (2+ / 0-)
    raincrow, defluxion10

The people of his district decided that's the representation they wanted. His resignation would only save them from what they deserve.

You know, I sometimes think if I could see, I'd be kicking a lot of ass. -Stevie Wonder at the Glastonbury Festival, 2010

by Rich in PA on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:16:42 PM PST

•  You're hurting me, man. (5+ / 0-)
      howarddream, sfbob, defluxion10, Lujane, wmdrpa

but I am kind of enjoying his cummupence.

But yes, I am here in TN-04 and am not represented in Congress.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:25:26 PM PST

•  We feel your pain (4+ / 0-)

Hopefully he'll be gone and you can get a real congressman again.  Granted, he's going to be a Blue Dog, but he'll be a thousand times better than DesJarlais.

Romney-Ryan: America's Rollback Team

by Christian Dem in NC on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 03:36:59 PM PST

•  I know being in the minority sucks. (0+ / 0-)

But a majority knew precisely what they were getting and that's what, or should I say who, or maybe it's what, they voted for. At some point you have to accept that in your congressional district people will vote for any old piece of shit with an R on it, because they see that as their only guarantee of White hegemony.

by Rich in PA on Thu Nov 15, 2012 at 05:21:30 PM PST

•  Actually, we had a Democratic Representative (0+ / 0-)

until 2010. He was a Blue Dog but he did vote for Nancy Pelosi for Speaker.

This was a relatively poor district though with redistricting, we now have Rutherford County which is somewhat more affluent. I'm not sure how that has affected the vote here or whether it did at all since I think Desjarlais won all the counties.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie

by sewaneepat on Fri Nov 16, 2012 at 04:41:40 AM PST

•  TN-04 is a prime target (3+ / 0-)

Voter turnout is low in several reliably red states when it comes to presidential elections. Desjarlais only won by 26,000 votes in a district that mustered a mere 230k votes. Districts with high voter turnout typically have around 360k voters, so the votes necessary to overcome the margin represents approximately 20% of the non-participant population. I'd love to see congressional districts like Tennessee's 4th become the focus of registration drives between now and 2014.

•  Yes, we need registration, but even more, we (1+ / 0-)
          wmdrpa

need organization. The local Democratic Party organizations are fairly worthless. The Franklin Co. Dem Party says it is going to try to become more active in getting new people involved. I hope so. My husband and I are going to become more active and see if the party becomes more productive.

You can't scare me, I'm sticking to the Union - Woody Guthrie