View Diary: Face it Republicans. Obama is the Democrat's Reagan. (264 comments)

•  Great insight. (17+ / 0-)

I would add that Democrats might bear some of the blame for Reagan, just as Republicans did so much to guarantee Obama's reelection.

I'm too young to know first-hand, but I'm of the impression that some Democrats in the 70s complacently assumed that not only were we the dominant party, but we would always be the dominant party, and further, that more liberal was always better.

Today, conservatives can't believe they are no longer in a dominant position.  They still think that shaking the 9-11 stick will give them guaranteed win after win.  And they think that more conservative is always better.

Were we in a similar bubble in the 70s?  If so, how can we be sure not to let it happen again?

Early to rise and early to bed Makes a man healthy, wealthy, and dead. --Not Benjamin Franklin

by Boundegar on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:24:52 AM PST

•  i think there's a lot to what you say but I also (10+ / 0-)

think that there are some differences.

I think the internet makes it both easier and harder to address complacency. IOW it's easier to live in a bubble but also easier to see what others are thinking.

I do believe that the left's eyes are more open today than before, perhaps. And I also think this zeitgeist is not limited to the USA. The Arab Spring being one example of a people-focused orientation shift.

For the record, I am not a member of Courtesy Kos. Just so you know. Don't be stupid. It's election season. My patience is short.

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:38:21 AM PST

•  Of course there are differences :) (5+ / 0-)

The reason it's so hard to predict the future is it's not the past yet.

Personally, I think Occupy Wal*Mart is one of the most positive signs this year.  If that grows, it could change everything.

by Boundegar on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:55:28 AM PST

•  i'm excited about it. they are courageous. (3+ / 0-)
          MRA NY, Chi, Sophie Amrain

walmart is a vampire. and these workers could actually start something really significant in America.

I'm excited about it too.

And I think the time is right for it. I think we're finally back to a place where most americans would "get it", ya know? As opposed to where we've been for the last 30 years.

by mdmslle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:58:40 AM PST

•  In terms of the right I think the Internet (1+ / 0-)
        MRA NY

And modern media generally definitely has had and will have a corrosive effect. The more they congregate in malign echo chambers like Freerepublic and get their information from Fox News the more insulated they are about what is really going on the word and with other people who do not share their zeal.

hope springs eternal

by ahyums on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:41:14 AM PST

•  We (democrats) were losing the (4+ / 0-)

bigots like rats from a sinking ship. The rest of the Party was splitting into the crazies that dominated and made those assumptions you spoke about, and the others who waited in the wilderness until Bill Clinton came along.

The same thing with different actors and ideas is happening to the Republican Party now. What remains is how long it will take for them to rebuild. History repeats, but with changes in technology and such the rate of repeat might be different.

•  Studies show that after a transformative election (8+ / 0-)

that brings in big new cohorts of voters, those new voters stay with their new party for the rest of their lives.  So yes, Obama is like Reagan in this way.

So even without the changing demographics we should bbe a lot stronger than the last 30 years.  With them -- as long as we don't get complacent or squabble too much over differences, or get wiped out by climate change -- we really could win for 20-30 years.

Remember back when Obama got such grief for saying he admired Reagan?  This is what he meant, not that he liked Reagan's policies, but that he admired his transformative reframing and the shift he brought about.

•  Who were the crazies who dominated (2+ / 0-)
        freerad, majcmb1

the Democratic Party?

And for what it's worth, the neo-liberal Clinton administration gave it's imprimatur to the so-called Reagan revolution.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:04:06 AM PST

•  Perhaps crazies is too (0+ / 0-)

harsh a term. Allow me to say the more radical wing of the Party. Bolstered by 'wins' against the war and racism, we (some) thought it would last. Hell, I even sold all my weapons.

It seemed to me the Reagan policies failed even him early on and the economy only began to recover from them increasing revenue through taxation called by other names. The Republican voters never caught on, loved Reagan and blamed their tax preparer. I agree, Bill was not the best and if the economy had not been on the upswing, I would have put up with another term of Herbert Walker Bush as it would have ended the Republican name by 1996.

I was and remain a member of that radical wing of the Party and when it bacame apparent what they had in store for President Carter, I remedied that last statement in my first paragraph

•  If that's your definition then I also am (0+ / 0-)

one of those crazy left-wing wackos.

I never felt we dominated the party. Even when McGovern won the nomination, the party establishment still were in control and undermined us at every opportunity and then used the McGovern defeat to marginalize us. (Not that the McGovern campaign didn't make enough mistakes on it's own.)

I own my dad's old rifle, but haven't been able to find the bolt. Though the rifle was stored in what I considered to be a safe place, I took no chances. I forgot where I put the bolt, so for the last 30 years or so I have been the proud owner of a old German Mauser that is incapable of inflicting harm unless used as a club.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 09:26:39 AM PST

•  They certainly didn't dominate, (0+ / 0-)

at least I don't think.  Remember this is history to me.

But there were people who thought "free love" was a good idea.  And there were people who thought "getting in tune" with drugs was a good idea.  And the antiwar movement did slide into outright hatred for America, at times.

And I would call those ideas crazy and destructive, and at one time we made room in our party for them.  Maybe just around the fringes, but those folks sure weren't Republicans.

There's a reason they call us dirty hippies - just like there's a reason we call them ignorant rednecks.

by Boundegar on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 12:46:33 PM PST

•  I lived through those times (1+ / 0-)
            Dogs are fuzzy

I think you're accepting the propaganda.

I was deeply involved in both the anti-war and civil rights movements. We weren't into hating our country as much as  changing it and pressuring it to acknowledge its past mistakes.

As to the free love and drug culture, they were no more destructive than the status quo, with adulterers and alcoholics hiding behind the facade of suburban respectability.

Finally I don't refer to the Republican base as ignorant rednecks. Yuppie scum would be a better descriptor.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 01:12:06 PM PST

•  That's the sticking point (3+ / 0-)
        mmacdDE, freerad, OleHippieChick
        What remains is how long it will take for them to rebuild.
        A fundamental difference betwixt Us and Them is rooted in their very name. Conservatism doesn't like change.

We on the other hand realized it was time to be flexible on certain issues. Call it pragmatism or call it selling out, the budging on issues from gun control to defense to welfare dragged us, kicking and screaming, to where we are now in the mainstream.

Oh, and lots of those old white guys dying off has also helped. :)

Conservatives are resistant to change. What is it William F Buckley Jr said ?:

A Conservative is a fellow who is standing athwart history yelling 'Stop!'

IMHO, The party will be stuck between those that take that quote seriously, and the ones who realize the self-mocking inherent in it.

Message to Dems: We HAVE to start showing up for Midterms.

by Jank2112 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:16:31 AM PST

•  Reagan comes only 6 years after Watergate (2+ / 0-)
      frankzappatista, Sychotic1

and in my memories of that time (I am the same age as the diarist) I can understand why the Dems felt that they were in a dominant position...

•  A lot of people in the 70s thought the US (5+ / 0-)

was on the cusp of revolution.  Those of us on the left were wrong about which direction that revolution would turn.

Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
      ¡Boycott Arizona!