View Diary: Face it Republicans. Obama is the Democrat's Reagan. (264 comments)

•  greedy heartless assholes (9+ / 0-)

Sorry I don't agree. Ronald Reagan was my governor. He was never like Obama, he was a total ass.

He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice. Albert Einstein

by Cairns on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 06:50:39 AM PST

•  Yeah, it's beyond (0+ / 0-)

me why anyone would want to compare BO favorably to Reagan.

The banks have a stranglehold on the political process. Mike Whitney

by dfarrah on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:32:37 AM PST

•  I don't think the diarist is comparing Obama to (10+ / 0-)

Reagan.  I think it's more of a comparison of what Reagan symbolized and began for conservatives (the beginning of a long, relentless shift towards the right from the far left in the US) to what Obama symbolizes and what we hope is beginning for liberals (a long and relentless shift back to the left from the far right in the US).

"On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps...of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again."

by middleagedhousewife on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:40:16 AM PST

•  You are right but (4+ / 0-)

That Reagan never exisited. It was a role he played and played it well. America bought it. He was playing the Clint Eastwood "Dirty Harry" role domestically and internationally. It made us feel good about being asses. It was an illusion. I and the citizens of California knew him for what he was because he unleashed his bad policies there first.

by Cairns on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:54:12 AM PST

middleagedhousewife

I'm a bit shocked at how many people reading this cannot tell the difference between Similarity as opposed to Comparison/Contrast.

Message to Dems: We HAVE to start showing up for Midterms.

by Jank2112 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 08:22:12 AM PST

•  I think you miss the point (2+ / 0-)
      Jank2112, v2aggie2

The diarist is writing about the impact, not their beliefs or ideology. Reagan may have been a huckster and a thug, but he was effective in changing the dialog in this country.

From FDR until Reagan, government was viewed by the majority of citizens as part of the solution. Reagan was able to convince the US that government was part of the problem and that the answer was the "magic of the marketplace".

His effectiveness was demonstrated when Clinton and the DLC Democrats in essence ratified Reaganiism and his idea of looking primarily to the private sector for solutions.

I disagree with the diarist that President Obama has changed the basic underlying dialog. One only has to look at his educational policies to see that. He has another four years. We will then be able to judge his overall impact.

A proud member of the Professional Left since 1967.

by slatsg on Sat Nov 17, 2012 at 07:39:13 AM PST